Trip Report Blue Angel Resort trip report Feb. 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I converted 2 years ago. Had one other bp/w before this one. It was an aluminum plate.
I won’t be going back to jacket bc’s.
Yeah I hear backplates are the way to go, but it's a learning curve to know what to get. What material is your current plate?

Yeah I hear backplates are the way to go, but it's a learning curve to know what to get. What material is your current plate?
Stainless steel. It’s a freedom plate. If you search the board, you can read up on it. It took about a year on a wait list before I got mine.

The DM sends up his SMB and any divers who are done early go up in pairs and hang near the SMB. The rest come up together. No one goes up alone.
I can be a gas hog at times. I always let the BA DM's know that I have a DSMB (and know how to use it...LOL) and that when/if I get low on gas I can shoot it and begin my ascent. The DM's are always pleased to hear this because they have the option to send other gas hogs up with me and then reassign dive buddies for the remainder of the dive. My son (now 20) is my usual dive buddy and he's in unbelievable awesome shape with a great SAC rate so he benefits from this.

I have two, one steel for cold water one aluminum for warm/travel. I also have a single tank adapter that is a couple pounds negative. In California I use a 5 ish pound belt with steel bp and a 7 mil. In warm water and 3 mil with the AL plate, depending on how long it's been since I dove I usually start with a 2# belt then get rid of it as the trip goes on.

AL is easier to travel with weight wise, obviously. But my wife just has the steel so uses that for travel too

Thanks @ChrisM. I'm trying to get away from weight belts - seems to be a step backward from the integrated weight capability I have in my BC pockets. Which brings me to the main reason I'm hesitant to make the switch: where do I keep what I need to have with me underwater? I don't carry a lot, but I need a place for weights, a DSMB/spool combo, a flashlight, and maybe a small video camera.

** I just realized I'm hijacking this good thread about a BA trip review so I'll end here. **

Thanks @ChrisM. I'm trying to get away from weight belts - seems to be a step backward from the integrated weight capability I have in my BC pockets. Which brings me to the main reason I'm hesitant to make the switch: where do I keep what I need to have with me underwater? I don't carry a lot, but I need a place for weights, a DSMB/spool combo, a flashlight, and maybe a small video camera.

** I just realized I'm hijacking this good thread about a BA trip review so I'll end here. **
Ha! No worries at all. I dove an AL backplate and 18lb wing on this trip. I only needed 6lbs. of lead, which I stuck in trim pouches on the bottom tank band (I use two). I also used a Dive Rite thigh pocket for my spare mask, dsmb, spool, small knife, slate, snorkel, and spare light (for night dives). I clip my primary light to the right D-ring and my GoPro setup to the left one, securing each with a thick rubber band to the webbing. The rig was perfect for this trip and packs down much smaller than my old jacket BC, making it great for travel to places like BA. :)

I carry a camera and signal marker spool. Camera I have a lanyard with colt clips on each end,when I dive one clip on left chest d ring one clip on camera. I can drop the camera as needed and retrieve. SSM and spool clipped to right hip D ring. SPG clipped to left hip D ring or left shoulder D ring, I can look down and see my air. Flashlight, usually the light on my camera, but I can also clip that to the shoulder D ring either side. Bungee it down or use it for the dive. Also occasionally carry a magnifying glass and/or muck stick. My wife added a belt pocket, that is where she likes t keep the light, and to gather trash etc.

If you mean you want to carry weights, some systems i.e Halcyon have weight pockets you can use, my wife has those. But honestly, I'd much rather wear 2 or 4 or even 5 pounds on a belt than an integrated system. When I used to need 30#, different story. My wife also likes a 2# weight strapped to the tank band.

OMG, the DIR/Halcyon folks will hate that set-up. No long hose and an integrated 2nd/inflator!! I too use just my regular Poseidon Cyklon 5000 and an integrated 2nd/inflator (great for travel! :happywave:

I see it's a SS so do you have challenges with buoyancy in tropical waters? I use my kydex BP (DeepSeeSupply, which is no longer around) for tropical climes and use almost no weight with my 5/4/3 wetsuit and keep my SS BP for cold water drysuit diving. My SS BP is -6lbs. . .

I like the Yum Yum yellow wing!

Bob

Please let the boat captain know that you have a buoy and that you may use it. He will want to know what it looks like and the color beforehand. This just came up last week at the Blue Angel, from Captain Chango.

Please let the boat captain know that you have a buoy and that you may use it. He will want to know what it looks like and the color beforehand. This just came up last week at the Blue Angel, from Captain Chango.
Good point; I will do that next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom