Anyone not eat fish for environmental reasons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been taking high doses of fish oil for ten years---pharmecuetical grade, no heavy metals, supposedly. I have no idea where it comes from.

The omega-3 research has really impressed me. When I saw my doctors at UCLA a few months ago, they were all on it to. Who knows? I feel better and never get depressed, my lipid panels are perfect. JB had highish BP before he was off to Iraq...I put him on fish oil, garlic, and coQ10 and he fell 20 points.

I would encourage anybody with High LDL, or high BP to try this and see what happens. People I have known have had real results.

Gee, sure hope I am not wrong, because I will be in big trouble if itis bad for you.

Mike Veitch:
i haven't eaten ANY seafood since 99

Hey Mike,

What the heck do you eat?

I was happy to discover that I don't eat most of the *avoid* items on the list. I'm not sure about the shrimp, but they generally come from the Gulf, however I'm not sure about when I eat out.

My problem is not what I eat, it's sitting at a desk all day, and then spending 2~4 hours on a bus commuting. I REALLY need to get off my tail, and start exercising again! :eyebrow:

I eat many fish, I do have limits. For me what I eat is determined by the laws of clean and unclean, beyond that if it won't eat me first then I consider it my duty to eat it.

As I see it, Humans were meant to eat food of all types. Look at our teeth, we have the teeth for cutting, tearing and grinding. That means there's little we can't eat.

I don't eat much fish here in the midwest, it's just not the same as the fish that I ate back east which was from the great lakes and fresh. Ours is from ponds or frozen, and it's not quite the same. So, Beef and Chicken are my staples and on vacation I'll eat fish.

I don't care what anybody else eats, food is food so if you want to avoid fish and go straight vege than be my guest. There are many good recipes and to be honest I like Tofu.

The reasons you give for wanting to give up fish are interesting, possible over fishing? Sure, that happens but why can't you eat pond fish? The animal rights people are going to have a field day with me, but who cares what the fish feels. Do you think the fish cares what it's meal feels? As my daughter says, and I didn't teach her this, I'm going to turn that fish into food.

Well, giving up seafood is not really gonna help. Encouranging proper management of fish stock, and aquaculture (fish/shrimp farming) helps though. The idea is to create a sustainable model of harvesting that will lead to increased fish stocks and biodiversity. So eat your fish. Just make sure they come from the right place. At the end of the day, it is the dollar that determines what is hunted and what is not.

Unfortunately, governments are not guided by such concerns. All they are concerned with are votes...:(

PS, for high BP look at the Mayo Clinic's Dash Diet. It works and oddly enough contains fish...

i only eat fish that i shoot, which does include sharks sometimes. ill eat sushi as well as salmon from whole foods, so i guess its all natural.

Charlie59:
Geez shakey, and I bet you have a salt water aquarium too.

Nah, too much like work. :D

Here's one seafood mystery, to change the subject ... what the heck is Long John's Silver fish? Some form of shark? Is it fished or farmed?

LJS is to seafood what Taco Bell is to real Mexican food, McNuggets are to real chicken and Olive Garden is to real Italian cuisine, the Chef Boyardee of fish and fish byproducts. Being from a blue collar background, my idea of fish as a child was canned tuna, LJS and the Howard Johnson's all-you-can-eat fish fry. I have yet to figure out exactly what LJS serves.:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom