Anyone not eat fish for environmental reasons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've ate no other "meat" or anything with meat products for 1 months now, except for stuff that breathes water......

Thats what I tell ppl "if it dont breath water, i dont eat eat"

yes, of course i know fish dont "breath" water but you get the point

dhampton82:
I've ate no other "meat" or anything with meat products for 1 months now, except for stuff that breathes water......

Thats what I tell ppl "if it dont breath water, i dont eat eat"

yes, of course i know fish dont "breath" water but you get the point

Because of this

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=165167

Wow.
I only can say wow.

I eat everything, I guess normal thing. Chicken, beef, pork, common fish, nothing endangered, veggie, but I don't like dairy products, and I love shrimp.

I admire people with great determination not to eat meat. I am still far from that. I just hope that by eating in balance I don't contribute anything to the dissapearance of some species.
I have difficulty ti eat anything that was killed before my eyes. That's include chicken or fish, and,
secretly, I almost can't eat the organic veggie, they sell it with the rot still growing in those cotton, that's mean they are still alive.... :O

I know although I don't see it, things are worse in the slaughter house. But then again,
I need meat, I need fish and I need veggie. I'm sure my body is designed to eat everything normal in my range in balance.

But if, what I don't eat really help the ecosystem, I don't mind to stop.

Humans have been eating fish and meat for a lot longer than they have eaten fruits and grains --- we were hunters long before we were farmers. Being vegetarian, and being healthy, for all of its left-wing touchy-feeliness, is really only possible in modern elitist societies. Without modern refrigeration and transportation, how is someone in North Dakota going to enjoy the multitude of fresh vegetables, fruits and grain products year-round? Prior to the 20th century, people had potatoes and dried vegetables or whatever they could keep moldering in a root cellar. They weren't eating fresh kiwi, tofu, oranges, lettuce, spinach and other produce grown in Mexico or Central America and flown in. Without some supplementation with animal protein, people couldn't get certain amino acids and other nutrients found only in animals and some very limited forms of plant life. Prior to our modern era, people either ate animal protein or they risked severe malnutrition.

There are people in primitive countries who subsist on meatless diets, but they tend to be in warm climates where some vegetables can be grown year-round --- and those people are not exactly the picture of health. Primitive northern people, like the Inuit, lived entirely on animal products. The Inuit diet is very high in animal fat, yet the incidence of vascular disease was very low. The key is exercise. People must now "sculpt" their diets and take statin drugs to maintain normal lipid profiles because we are lazy toads who do little. The main influence on HDL/LDL is exercise, not diet. The natural state of humans is to eat whatever is available and be active, not to be sedentary and spend hours reading nutrition books.

Thus, eat vegetarian if you want, but it is neither "natural" nor "liberal", but rather unnatural and elitist. Eat as much meat and fat as you like, so long as you exercise your butt off. Literally.

As for mercury and other so-called hazards: it amazes me that, in spite of all the supposed toxins we are exposed to, the average life expectancy continues to climb (now almost 80 ---that's AVERAGE life expectancy) and we are in danger of choking on our own elderly population.

A little bit of a hijack as the OP was asking only about environmental issues but:

shakeybrainsurgeon:
The key is exercise.

...we are lazy toads who do little. The main influence on HDL/LDL is exercise, not diet. The natural state of humans is to eat whatever is available and be active, not to be sedentary and spend hours reading nutrition books.

Thus, eat vegetarian if you want, but it is neither "natural" nor "liberal", but rather unnatural and elitist. Eat as much meat and fat as you like, so long as you exercise your butt off. Literally.

Woohooo!! Thanks for telling it like it is :D This little toad is increasing her activity every day as it's so easy to get sucked into that sedentary pattern!

shakeybrainsurgeon:
As for mercury and other so-called hazards: it amazes me that, in spite of all the supposed toxins we are exposed to, the average life expectancy continues to climb (now almost 80 ---that's AVERAGE life expectancy) and we are in danger of choking on our own elderly population.
Isn't that the truth!!!! When I hear all the stories about Japan and toxins in the fish etc you have to wonder how a people that eats so much fish actually has around the highest life expectancy average...over 85 years old.
Maybe mercury is really good for you!!! :eyebrow: :D

I only eat sea food I have caught or someone else I know has caught. Except for mussels which are farmed here and are very cheap $3 KG.
I usally have scallops mussels and crayfish twice a month or so. (depending on season)
I will not buy eggs unless they are free range. I dont eat a lot of pork due to the way its farmed. I do eat chicken although we never buy it.

generally, if the fish tastes like diesel, i stop eating

of course, if the body of water in which the fish lived can spontaneously combust, i don't eat the fish either (whether or not they taste like diesel)

There really isn't any reason to avoid fish as a group for environmental reasons, since so much fish is now farmed. I eat mainly farmed salmon, catfish and shrimp. And tuna, which is not endangered as far as i know. There are endangered species being overfished, so I guess one can make a statement by avoiding "overfished" species, particularly North Atlantic species.

I don't mean to dump on vegetarians or vegans... people can eat what they like. What I resent is the notion that one diet is morally, nutritionally, ethically or politically superior to another. The goal is to get a couple thousand calories with the right mix of nutrients into our pieholes daily. I 'm sure some will whine about the virtues of vegetarianism...to those, I ask: how many people on this planet can obsess over the composition of their diets? The avergae global citizen eats whatever they can lay their hands on, and is more concerned about getting river blindness from their water than they are about whether cod is going extinct or red meat is hardening their arteries.

Geez shakey, and I bet you have a salt water aquarium too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom