Anyone not eat fish for environmental reasons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhampton82:
I was watcing CNN earlier and I saw a report on how the fish populations are being depleted from over fishing, and it had me wondering if I should stop eating fish...

I have stopped eating all other meats except for seafood (not for environmental reasons, just dont like what it could do to my body) for about 15 months now.

So, yea anyone else no eat seafood for that reason? Or am I just wasting my time and looking like a "hippy tree hugger" ?

If you don't eat fish or meat and rely solely on vegetables consider for a moment what might happen if everyone in the world decided to do this. The space required to grow the crops would be enormous and this would result in animal population decline by way of loss of habitat. It's a cruel fact of life that when you eat something else dies. We are designed to eat both meat and vegetables. The problem is with the exploding population of humans. I just ate a filet mingon washed down with merlot. Perhaps this is distorting my judgement.

Did you flunk biology class or what?

correct me if I am wrong, it seems like I have heard that humans are not designed to eat meat? Especialy 3 meals a day........

Mr.X:
Come on'. I ante'd up. I eat only the smallest amount of farm raised shrimp and certainly not the stuff that Forest Gump hauled in. Tell us what you've given up?

I don't eat much shrimp at all. My family and I eat fish that I've shot about 3 nights per week. (spearfishing has a very, very low by-catch).

From an envirnomental standpoint, the biggest contribution that I will make is to vote every damn Republican out of office that I can. Even the tax collector!

Mike Veitch:
i haven't eaten ANY seafood since 99

That takes a lot of guts to give up seafood. I don't think I could give up oysters, mussels or the occasional shrimp!

As for eating plants vs. meat...what do you think the cows are eating? Corn, silage products all come from farms. By eating meat you are contributing to a less efficient ecosystem. Think high school and trophic levels. BTW, a glass of merlot is good for your health. However, I prefer my liver with Chianti and some Fava beans!!! :eyebrow:

dumpsterDiver:
I don't eat much shrimp at all. My family and I eat fish that I've shot about 3 nights per week. (spearfishing has a very, very low by-catch).

From an envirnomental standpoint, the biggest contribution that I will make is to vote every damn Republican out of office that I can. Even the tax collector!

Yes! Yes ! Yes ! Get those guys out! Vote Colonel Sanders out too. :D

Ooops he's dead!

dhampton82:
correct me if I am wrong, it seems like I have heard that humans are not designed to eat meat? Especialy 3 meals a day........

There's a lot of people in their 80's and 90's that ate bacon and sausage for breakfast, bologna sandwiches for lunch and meat for dinner. A lot of people have died in their fifties with that same diet. It seems that their are a lot of humans that do pretty well considering they weren't "designed" to eat meat.

I live next to the ocean, I catch seafood, spear fish and buy seafood every chance I get. The abundance of fish has definitely declined over the last 30 years, there are just too many people.

I tried to give up eating anything that cost too much for my starving scientist budget. That cut out a lot of the seriously threatened marine fish and invertebrate species since they tend to be expensive.

I try to eat vegetarian 2-4 times a week, a little bit of red meat, poultry and some fish.

Back
Top Bottom