Any vegetarians out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would anyone be interested in sharing their vegetarian dinner ideas in a Vegetarian Recipes thread if I started one?

I have a few cookbooks and half gotten some recipes online, but it's always nice/easier to come across those that have been tried-and-tested!

Oceandvr:
I'm not vegetarian, but have thought about it. I enjoy the taste of meat too much, I guess. Of those of you who have given up meat - what made you do so and was it difficult?

On another note, has anyone stopped eating seafood for conservational reasons? I have to admit that I like sushi and fish/shellfish a lot; however, I'm also aware of the overfishing and/or pressure and effort going on in the fishing industry (minus aquaculture), which makes me contemplate a hiatus.

Logic made me give up meat. Since I hold that higher than my desires, I had no trouble avoiding meat. For a while, though, I really craved fried chicken when I drove by and smelled the fried chicken places (motorcycles are great for taking in local smells). I no longer experience that craving.

I use a handy tool: I try to like something more than the vices I am trying to avoid. I like the harmony being a vegetarian brings to my life given my philosophical position more than I like meat. It is only a matter of time after that the cravings for the vice will subside given they are not being fulfilled.

Regarding recipes...
I'm a very lazy cook (single). I eat stuff out of the can, frozen packaged meals, dry packaged meals. I add fruit drinks, nuts (lots of nuts), cheeze, whole grain breads (pumpernickle, jewish rye, whole wheat bread) and soy patties (boca burgers, morningstar farms, ...) to that diet. I eat 2 eggs daily. Feel free to post recipes though, if they are easy, and I have the ingredients (unlikely but possible), I would give them a try. My recipes would be pretty lame though...

Again, like a lot of others, I eat mostly vegitarian. Still eat seafood, eggs and drink milk.
Been doing this for about 10yrs. now.
My wife is a meat eater so we have very different meals most of the time.
Luckily for me she has no problem doing two meals most nights.

Don

ShakaZulu:
Most health conscious, vegetarians look like they are already dead to me, what is up with that??

Hey, I don't think I look like I am already dead, do I? :wink:

cmt489:

Give it two more months of a Vancouver winter and you might as well be... :11: :05:

Ahhh us ex Vancouverites are soooo nasty! :14:

cmt489:

I hear that kind of comment (ShakaZulu's) from diehard meat eaters all the time. Often from obese individuals with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

All of the vegetarians I know look very healthy. Some of the fringe element make it onto TV, maybe that is the limit of his exposure to vegetarians.

You look marvelous.

Oceandvr:
I'm not vegetarian, but have thought about it. I enjoy the taste of meat too much, I guess. Of those of you who have given up meat - what made you do so and was it difficult?

On another note, has anyone stopped eating seafood for conservational reasons? I have to admit that I like sushi and fish/shellfish a lot; however, I'm also aware of the overfishing and/or pressure and effort going on in the fishing industry (minus aquaculture), which makes me contemplate a hiatus.

I experimented with it about 12-13 years ago when the big "get red meat out of your diet" fad was going around. I was lifting weights regularly and tried it. Didn't really feel any different. Ended up eating red meat occasionally after a while, but never bought it to eat at home.

Then a little over 10 years ago I went to a county fair. There happened to be a cow laying in the hay in one of the tents. I kneeled down and started petting her. I later found out that tent was the auctioning tent. She was being auctioned off the next day for slaughter. I swore off red meat for good that time. It was just sad to see her there knowing she'd be slaughtered in a couple of days.

A few days later I was eating KFC and started thinking about that cow. Well, my mind took a little course of its own and, without going into too many details, I decided no more meat or any kind. I haven't touched beef, pork, poultry, or fish since.

Was it difficult? Not at all. In fact, I couldn't even eat the veggie substituties like veggie chicken for a while because it tasted too much like the real thing. Now I think I'd end up in the hospital if I ate any meat.

BTW, people are usually shocked when they find out I'm vegetarian. I don't look dead, or even sick.

Been slowly reducing my meat consumption, down to one day a week now. I'll probably never go off it totally, though it will more likely be a due to dining out than makin git myself.

I've found a lot of things I can substitute for meat, two of these being Falafels (I love them, especially with the Salsa they have at a local vege take away) and my favourite meat alternative is Halouni cheese. this stuff is just delicious and I can't get enough of it. not actually sure how healthy it is, but... If anyone wants to try some, I recommend using the proper Cyprian stuff, and basically pan frying it in olive oil until golden on both sides (slice it up first, of course) yummy :)

Z...

Back
Top Bottom