Any vegetarians out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegetarian for 27 years. Still eat dairy products. Tried to go vegan but it is too hard with my schedule and lifestyle. Like Dive-aholic I'm selective in the dairy I eat-rennet-free cheese, Omega-3 enriched eggs that are free range, organic milk, always check packaging to make sure there are NO animal products.
Originally I went vegetarian because I read one too many articles about the hormones in beef and the cruelty imposed on chickens. I found that I became much more healthy as a by-product. I had had gastric upsets my entire life and they are pretty much non-existent for me now.
Over the years, the OTHER aspect of being a vegetarian has become a part of my life and now I just don't feel we have a right to eat other animals. Of course, this makes me a hypocrite because of the dairy thing but everyone has their personal limits and that's where mine is right now.

16 years and never looking back. It is hard to justify eating animals when you can live fine lower on the food chain. I eat cheese and eggs too. My children (12 and 15) are lifetime vegetarians. I am very healthy: still the same weight as when I was 20, now 44.

I'm not vegetarian, but have thought about it. I enjoy the taste of meat too much, I guess. Of those of you who have given up meat - what made you do so and was it difficult?

On another note, has anyone stopped eating seafood for conservational reasons? I have to admit that I like sushi and fish/shellfish a lot; however, I'm also aware of the overfishing and/or pressure and effort going on in the fishing industry (minus aquaculture), which makes me contemplate a hiatus.

I haven't completely given up meat, but I don't eat it very often. I prefer to eat lower on the food chain- it's tastier and healthier down there (and more socially responsible!). It wasn't difficult for me- I think that I got bored of beef and chicken and wanted to try something healthier and new. I also feel better physically when I eat less animal products.

I have cut back on seafood, especially the overfished species. Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Oceandvr:
I'm not vegetarian, but have thought about it. I enjoy the taste of meat too much, I guess. Of those of you who have given up meat - what made you do so and was it difficult?

On another note, has anyone stopped eating seafood for conservational reasons? I have to admit that I like sushi and fish/shellfish a lot; however, I'm also aware of the overfishing and/or pressure and effort going on in the fishing industry (minus aquaculture), which makes me contemplate a hiatus.

Most health conscious, vegetarians look like they are already dead to me, what is up with that??

If you mean the ones with pale or yellowish skin, I noticed that too. I think that type of vegetarian lacks a balanced diet. It's not hard to do, but you have to make sure to get a balanced source of protein. Of course, I'm not a diet expert- this is just my theory. Maybe Rick Inman will chime in.

ShakaZulu:
Most health conscious, vegetarians look like they are already dead to me, what is up with that??

Gidds:
My reasons are health related but it is very hard to be a vegetarian when you despise legumes and tofu.
Gidds,

Have you tried introducing tofu into your diet in more subtle ways? For example, I have a nice chocolate cake recipe that uses dessert tofu, or fruit smoothies with dessert tofu again as the base. All I add in are strawberries and honey or organic sugar and it makes a very nice snack. You can't even taste the tofu. (Although I read somewhere that dessert tofu doesn't have the same nutritional value as other forms.)

As for using it in main meals, I'll slice up little bits of firm tofu into soups, or incorporate medium or firm cubed tofu into stirfries and curries.

As for a milk substitute, I find it depends on the soy milk. I love Vitasoy, but detest most other brands. Other alternatives are Rice Dream and almond milk.

Thx for mentioning your recipe book...sounds great! :)

(Sorry for the detour, do it easy.)

annasea:
(Sorry for the detour, do it easy.)

No problem- I know what I'm eating for dinner tonight- stir fried tofu with asparagus and mushrooms!

I've been eating brussel sprouts like it's going out of style, so I'll steam some of those too, but this time I'll leave the chocolate out. The brussel sprouts are great if you want to eat vegetables and don't want to fool around!

Oceandvr:

I've sort of gone this route. A few years ago, I decided that I would take 3 days a week and not eat any meat (same three days every week). I did this sort of for health reasons and for "impact" (it takes a lot of natural resources to eat beef, less so for poultry) reasons.

What I found is that first it was hard, I was just used to having meat two meals a day and didn't know what to order/fix. Then it got easier. Then I went to four days a week. Then I stopped counting, basically. I lost the taste for it. I think now I average about one meal a week where I have some meat. And for the reasons I do it, that's 90% as good as never eating it and I get to have a hamburger if I really have a craving (which almost never happens).

To answer your second question, I initially found eliminating (well, a couple times a year) swordfish difficult. But that too is a question of degrees, not absolutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom