Any vegetarians out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering if there are any vegetarians or vegans out there.

I'm mostly vegetarian, and sometimes vegan(ish). I'll eat seafood occasionally, and I tend to avoid land animals. I do it mostly for health reasons- I enjoy most foods and cuisines, but I like to eat low on the food chain.

Anyhow, sound off if you're a vegetarian, or maybe curious about it.

Lacto-ovo for over 9 years now. No beef, pork, or seafood. I even read ingredients to make sure there are no animal by-products.

Started for health reasons about 12 years ago, with the elimination of beef and pork. Progressed for other reasons since.

Healthwise, it's been great for me.

My wife is Vegan and both of our children are being raised Vegan. I had some reservations at first, but so far our two year old is extremely healthy, smart, and athletic. Other than a couple runny noses, he has been perfectly healthy. Our 3 month old has been extremely healthy also. We are thinking about incorporating Fish Oil and small portions of fish into their diets. Me, well, it's going to take some time to get me of the Meat.:D

utnapistim:
what means vegan?

i'm certainly not an expert, but from my point of view, vegan is a stricter form of vegetarianism- basically, no animal or animal made products whatsoever- no butter, honey, etc. there are also some vegans who won't wear leather (or silk?), but this is not because of dietary reasons.

do it easy:
i'm certainly not an expert, but from my point of view, vegan is a stricter form of vegetarianism- basically, no animal or animal made products whatsoever- no butter, honey, etc. there are also some vegans who won't wear leather (or silk?), but this is not because of dietary reasons.
so basically someone fromthe Vega constellation ... right?

USIA:
My wife is Vegan and both of our children are being raised Vegan. I had some reservations at first, but so far our two year old is extremely healthy, smart, and athletic. Other than a couple runny noses, he has been perfectly healthy. Our 3 month old has been extremely healthy also. We are thinking about incorporating Fish Oil and small portions of fish into their diets. Me, well, it's going to take some time to get me of the Meat.:D

Flax seed oil provides omega-3, which is the only thing we're missing from fish in our diets. So if your wife wants to remain strictly vegan, she might want to check into it.

utnapistim:
..what means vegan?

A vegan doesn't consume any animal products or foods that come from animals, such as milk, cheese, eggs, etc. It's not easy being a vegan, especially if you like to eat out.

I posted I'm lacto-ovo, which means I do consume cheese and eggs (couldn't live without my cheese); however, I'm selective in the cheese and eggs I buy. I purchase rennet-free cheese (rennet comes from animal gastric enzymes, which I don't believe there is a friendly way to obtain from thee animal) and eggs from cage-free hens (I used to raise my own hens, but the coyotes got them). I do eat out, but usually only at restaurants where I know the food is relatively "safe".

I was a pesco vegetarian for 3 years until recently I decided it might be advantagous to give it a rest so I could lose some fat to facilitate ease of getting into my wetsuit :wink: I'm not eating meat at the moment due to lack of funds and even when I have funds I only eat organic lean beef or chicken in very small portions. I may start skipping the beef again and switch to buffalo or go for grass-fed beef only. My reasons are health related but it is very hard to be a vegetarian when you despise legumes and tofu. Due to my lack of interest in these foods I tend to eat more dairy than I ought to probably and hence the excess fat. I have a nice cookbook called "Lean and Luscious Vegetarian Cooking" that has good ideas. While on the subject of vegetarianism did anybody else notice diminished BO when they cut out the meat eating?

Gidds:
I was a pesco vegetarian for 3 years until recently I decided it might be advantagous to give it a rest so I could lose some fat to facilitate ease of getting into my wetsuit :wink: I'm not eating meat at the moment due to lack of funds and even when I have funds I only eat organic lean beef or chicken in very small portions. I may start skipping the beef again and switch to buffalo or go for grass-fed beef only. My reasons are health related but it is very hard to be a vegetarian when you despise legumes and tofu. Due to my lack of interest in these foods I tend to eat more dairy than I ought to probably and hence the excess fat. I have a nice cookbook called "Lean and Luscious Vegetarian Cooking" that has good ideas. While on the subject of vegetarianism did anybody else notice diminished BO when they cut out the meat eating?

It's actually not that difficult. There are a lot of prepackaged vegetarian foods on the market now. I don't eat tofu, but I do eat tofu and soy based foods. Check out some specialty stores -- Trader Joe's, Wild Oats, etc. I get a lot of vegetarian products from Costco and my local grocery store too. Check the freezer section. A few brands are Morning Star, Boca, and Quorn.

Yes but have you seen the sodium in that stuff?! EEEEEEEK! I have a blood pressure issue that I had to contend with so it is very hard for me to be a vegetarian even with all that pre-made stuff.

Back
Top Bottom