Any thoughts on my setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FijiBound

Registered
Reaction score
Here it is:

Zeagle Ranger BC
Sherwood Maximus Regulator
Probably one of the discontinued Aeris Atmos Pro Regulators as back up
Zeagle Envoy Octo
Oceanic Max Depth Analog Guage
Apollog Bio Fin with C-strap
Suunto Gekko wrist computer

My situation is living in Fiji for two years in a remote third world village. Probably no LDS, hopefully electricity and fresh running water somewhere. I will be diving just about every day doing some biological data collection. I need gear that is reliable, stury, poses no hassle, will last two years without concern. I have the above mentioned rig totalling about $1700 through some price-matching and scuba board discounts, in theory. I'm new to diving, so I won't need to worry about any nitrox, but may exceed NDLs from time to time (information to help with the computer decision). If you all have any advice, suggestion, anything to offer that may help, please let me know. I don't have that much money so nothing too expensive, please. It won't do me any good. Thanks a bunch.

Isn't this irrelevant if you don't have tanks and a compressor as well if you are in the middle of nowhere with no LDS, and hopefully electricity and running water somewhere? I am assuming you can get gas somewhere for a portable compressor.

My main concern for you is where you are going to be getting your air fills. If this place is as remote as it sounds, you are going to need to fill your own tanks. There are another hundred things I could point out as well. IMO your final gear purchases should be the least of your worries right now. If you are going to be diving every day you really need to figure out the basics first. IE nearest hospital, deco chamber, place to fill tanks w/ CLEAN air, place to wash your gear, get it serviced, how to store it properly, a means to purchase equipment/get it repaired it needed. Quick fixes on said gear (save a dive, etc). The list could go on. Good luck figuring everything out. So far your equipment selection looks pretty good. If you treat it with respect it will treat you with respect and will last a long time. One thing that really gets to me is:

"I'm new to diving, so I won't need to worry about any nitrox, but may exceed NDLs from time to time (information to help with the computer decision)."

It sounds like training is going to be the biggest issue for you. Being in such a remote place with very little training and planning on exceeding NDL's from time to time is an accident waiting to happen IMO. Overall it sounds like you need to rework your plan. Sorry to be harsh at all. Enjoy Fiji though and be safe.

-Kstnbike

FijiBound:
Here it is:

Zeagle Ranger BC
Sherwood Maximus Regulator
Probably one of the discontinued Aeris Atmos Pro Regulators as back up
Zeagle Envoy Octo
Oceanic Max Depth Analog Guage
Apollog Bio Fin with C-strap
Suunto Gekko wrist computer

My situation is living in Fiji for two years in a remote third world village. Probably no LDS, hopefully electricity and fresh running water somewhere. I will be diving just about every day doing some biological data collection. I need gear that is reliable, stury, poses no hassle, will last two years without concern. I have the above mentioned rig totalling about $1700 through some price-matching and scuba board discounts, in theory. I'm new to diving, so I won't need to worry about any nitrox, but may exceed NDLs from time to time (information to help with the computer decision). If you all have any advice, suggestion, anything to offer that may help, please let me know. I don't have that much money so nothing too expensive, please. It won't do me any good. Thanks a bunch.

Some good choices, I just wanted to make a few comments:
- The Zeagle Ranger is a great BC, but might be alittle overkill. Since money is an issue, have you looked at something like the Zeagle Brigade from ScubaToys? It is cheaper than the Ranger and more than enough BC.

- On the regs, not that the ones you picked are bad, but have you thought about standardizing on one brand? The Zeagle envoy deluxe is a great choice. If you have NO access to an LDS or service, have you thought about which regs you can get some of the common parts for, like an exhaust diaphram, etc. The more different reg manufacturers you have, the more parts you may have to try to obtain.

- You specifically mention an analog depth gauge, I am assuming you are also including an analog SPG?

I am going to throw this out there too, although it probably won't be too popular:
You might want to consider a BP&W.
Here's why:
- The backplate is pretty much indestructable, no worries about it lasting 2 years.
- You can get the webbing to completely replace the harness for 5-15 bucks. You can easily carry enough extra to Fiji to replace the harness several times in 2 years if you had to.
- Metal hardware. With the metal tri-glides, metal D-rings, metal buckle, they will last you a very long time. Also, you don't have to worry about any plastic buckles breaking.
-One BP&W setup will cost you less than the Ranger. If you ask around and talk to Scubatoys, they would probably be able to get you 2 wings (almost like having 2 bcs) for only little more than the cost of the ranger. That would give you a backup incase you have a puncture. The wings pack so small, that even with 2 it won't take up any more luggage space in your bag.
-You can add as many pockets, d-rings, etc. that you want for the diving you will be doing.
-It is easy to get replacement parts, like inflators, opv, etc.
Might be something worth considering.

Thanks for the safety concerns, guys. Yes I will have a compressor available. Sorry for making it sound so drastic. I am going to work with the Peace Corps. They will provide everything I need. I just need to bring my own equipment, because it is really expensive in that region. And I will most likely be removed from any type of common civilization. I am just trying to say that running to my LDS isn't happening.

As far as the gear. The BP/W setup has been suggested to me. I'm new to diving, though. A quick look at all the options associated with this, and I was over it. It's too complicated for me for now. I read about the material on the Ranger harness and bladder and was impressed. It's pretty serious stuff, I thought. I also found a really good deal on it from www.leisurepro.com, so it's affordable (Factory warranty won't matter too much where I'll for two years, I just need something that works). The Mares metal tech was an option too, but that looks a little too cumbersome and it's not back inflated.

I figured the regulators I chose were pretty rock-solid. I plan on taking a regulator repair class of some sort, before I go, and preparing my own "save-a-dive kit." Either way, though, I hear nothing but good reviews about the Sherwood Maximus. I'm only bringing the Aeris Atmos Pro because it's relatively cheap now, and would be a really good back-up, in my opinion and for my uses. The Zeagle Envoy octo, I liked because it's a diaphragm, which I thought would be good paired with the piston Maximus. I figured this would be a good idea in the case of high sediments (Am I making a reasoning error here?), which does happen in the rainy season in Fiji.

The computer: the suunto gekko looked simple, sort of cheap, conservative, gets good reviews. When I said I might do exceed NDL on some dives in my original posting, I mean that over the course of two years, I might eventually start. This computer allows that type of advancement.

So, I hope that explains my situation a little better. thanks for the comments already. I'm still looking for more, though. any help is good help, I appreciate it all. Thanks again.

So there will be someone qualified to fill your tanks but will you have a dive buddy or others in the water? Is it sort of a solo diving assignment?

If it were me I would take two identical first stages, and three identical second stages. Also, see if you can get a overhaul kit for each. You might be able to send your reg to be serviced somewhere in Fiji, but they may not have a kit at hand. Would save much time if you sent a kit along.

I would definetly go with some type of Atomic regulator, a B1 or B2...... they say you dont need to bring it in for service until the 2 year mark, it sounds to me like you wont service any of your stuff until you come back after 2 years.

The ranger is a good bc, i havnt dove it but its pretty much the same as the Tech.

The gekko is great for the price and im sure it will do whatever you need it to

I would also recommend to purchase an additional reg set up and possibly a pony bottle. So you have redundancy and if for some reason a reg breaks or some up forseen event happens you will have a spare reg to use as your main.

Two years is a while to be dependent on what you bring over with you. Im sure if you have some kind of internet access you can always order something else from leisurepro or scubatoys and i would think they will ship it to you.

I dont have much experiance with sherwood regs but i have heard they arnt the quality that Atomic regs are.

I am a new diver and I am going to a BP/W here next month. It is way less complicated than my TUSA Passage BC. It has no plastic anything to break and it is easy to set up. The type of wing you will choose depends on how you are buoyant etc. It actually will be easier for me to be bouyant and hold trim than my TUSA since I won't have anything around my waist. Also if you are looking at collecting samples etc...then this set up is completely non-restrictive around the sides so your arms are free. So ask around and take another look. As I am told, once you switch to the BP/W you never look back! GOOD LUCK!!!

xoxoCarolyn

http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html This link could be helpful too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom