Newly certified - Buying dive com, dive light, and wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..... Mask is great but right fin/booty has been giving me blisters every time, which worsen and pop on next dives.
Try wearing lycra socks with your booties. Very good at preventing hot spots and blisters. If that doesn't work, you likely need something that fits better.

Would it be a good idea for the Perdix AI instead of Peregrine at this point? I believe it's only $100 higher than the Perdix 1. Or do you think it'll still be overkill and I should get the Peregrine first, sell it off in future and get the Perdix AI or 2.
I would look at a Ratio iX3M 2 Pro, they are great computers. It is air integrated but just only does air, nitrox and gauge. So you can have an air integrated dive computer without the Trimix and rebreather stuff.

I have the Orcatorch with the green laser and have been using it about a year with about 100 dives. I LOVE IT. The flashlight is very solid. But the laser is not only fun but very useful as well. The laser is bright enough in day diving to point out things you see...that wat if you see a cool small critter, you can put the laser right on it and your buddies can see it too.

Another fun thing for the laser is to point it in front of fish and watch them chase. The laser acts like a mini lure. I have lured bearded frog fish and blenies out of their holes with the laser. It is also fun to get schooling grunts and snapper to chase it....think kitten after a laser pointer.

So I am 100% for the Orcatorch with the laser

Also on the two piece wet suit....If you don't need a ton of thermal protection look at the Shark Skin separates. They are about the thermal protection for a 2 mil neoprene suit. Easy on/off and they look cool as heck.

My wife dives with the Shark Skin separates and loves them....she is a bit of a cold blooded diver. We dive mostly the Caribbean and even in the winter months, she is fine. If it gets a little to chilly, she just adds a 2 mm vest and it is perfect for her without the bulk.

Best of luck!!

Try wearing lycra socks with your booties. Very good at preventing hot spots and blisters. If that doesn't work, you likely need something that fits better.

In a pinch, I used duct tape to prevent further damage to the top of my toes. It worked fine as well as embarrassing my daughter who was on the trip. I picked up lycra socks when I got back which solved the problem.

I see you are in Singapore. Definitely worth looking at Ratio computers. They have perfectly useable presets but do not have custom GFs until the Tech+ model. For a compass, color screen, AI, and watch features, you don't have many choices, maybe a Teric or a Garmin

I dive my Teric with the north pointer on the screen, all the compass I need. I am old school, also have a wrist analog compass.

frogskins look especially interesting for warm water diving.
Frogskin vest is what I use when transiting from 5mm to 3mm, under the 3mm for a month or two, or under the 5mm when that is not enough.
If you can afford it, buy the Perdix AI , I also love the Peregrine [which is my backup], both very good, a big plus for me is the large colour screen and dead easy to use.

Thanks guys, for the great and unbiased suggestions. Taking note of the Ratio.

After talking to many dive centres and asking about the route to eventual tec diving, even though letting them know I'm only interested and exploring my options, where my first priority would be to do some local dives and get more dive experience to discover my problems and work through them first, and then if I do get real hooked on deep diving and tec and enjoy it, I'd gravitate there - they are suggesting that I get the Perdix now (any Perdix) since I'm looking at doing tec eventually, vs the Peregrine which can't do trimix.

How important is getting the Perdix now (which is overkill) vs perhaps getting the Peregrine now and selling it off later to get a Perdix? Can I ask about the longevity and reliability of your Shearwater computers? One other local store has a different opinion and says there are always many many people coming back for repairs and issues. Warranty is 2 years. So it's pointless if I get the Perdix now.

One other local store has a different opinion and says there are always many many people coming back for repairs and issues. Warranty is 2 years. So it's pointless if I get the Perdix now.
That is rubbish, are they selling another computer and don't stock Shearwater?
Shearwater customer service is 2nd to none.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom