Newly certified - Buying dive com, dive light, and wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is rubbish, are they selling another computer and don't stock Shearwater?
Shearwater customer service is 2nd to none.
They were selling Oceanic and Shearwater computers - they had Perdix AI and Peregrine too. This store also cautioned and said I should not be selling my dive computer as a secondhand. Which I don't exactly agree with. They also said I shouldn't ever buy a secondhand dive com because I don't know for sure its history, did it get damaged etc.

Are many divers on their Shearwater computers for 5-10 years? If so, that's really great. How is customer service like, is it lifetime or 5, 10 years? And I suppose this means I will be paying for shipping of the replacement components too if any.

Thanks guys, for the great and unbiased suggestions. Taking note of the Ratio.

After talking to many dive centres and asking about the route to eventual tec diving, even though letting them know I'm only interested and exploring my options, where my first priority would be to do some local dives and get more dive experience to discover my problems and work through them first, and then if I do get real hooked on deep diving and tec and enjoy it, I'd gravitate there - they are suggesting that I get the Perdix now (any Perdix) since I'm looking at doing tec eventually, vs the Peregrine which can't do trimix.

How important is getting the Perdix now (which is overkill) vs perhaps getting the Peregrine now and selling it off later to get a Perdix? Can I ask about the longevity and reliability of your Shearwater computers? One other local store has a different opinion and says there are always many many people coming back for repairs and issues. Warranty is 2 years. So it's pointless if I get the Perdix now.
I would get a Ratio iX3M 2 Pro now and later if you decide you want to the Tech route you can just up grade to the Pro to a Deep or Tech+ without buying a whole new computer.

There is an iX3M 2 for every diver.

iX3M 2 Pro
Air + Nitrox, 3 Mixes

iX3M 2 Deep
Air + Nitrox + Trimix (Normoxic), 3 Mixes

iX3M 2 Tech+
Air + Nitrox + Trimix (full) + CCR, 10 Mixes
with user-settable Gradient Factors (High & Low) and Critical Bubble Radius.

(You can upgrade the firmware of your version of the iX3M 2 by paying for a license upgrade and use a software key to open all of the features of the next higher version of the computer; Pro to Deep to Tech+, as easy as that!! Your start with the version that is most suitable for your diving level and upgrade as your qualifications and needs are upgraded. Your investment with Ratio iX3M 2 is always protected

Thanks guys, for the great and unbiased suggestions. Taking note of the Ratio.

After talking to many dive centres and asking about the route to eventual tec diving, even though letting them know I'm only interested and exploring my options, where my first priority would be to do some local dives and get more dive experience to discover my problems and work through them first, and then if I do get real hooked on deep diving and tec and enjoy it, I'd gravitate there - they are suggesting that I get the Perdix now (any Perdix) since I'm looking at doing tec eventually, vs the Peregrine which can't do trimix.

How important is getting the Perdix now (which is overkill) vs perhaps getting the Peregrine now and selling it off later to get a Perdix? Can I ask about the longevity and reliability of your Shearwater computers? One other local store has a different opinion and says there are always many many people coming back for repairs and issues. Warranty is 2 years. So it's pointless if I get the Perdix now.
I call BS on people having to get their shearwaters repaired all the time. The teric had a few problems that seem to have been worked out, but I’ve literally never heard a complaint about the perdix. And no it’s not pointless to get the perdix now if you’ve got the $$$. Buy used. Sounds like that shop is biased and maybe doesn’t sell shearwater?

They were selling Oceanic and Shearwater computers - they had Perdix AI and Peregrine too. This store also cautioned and said I should not be selling my dive computer as a secondhand. Which I don't exactly agree with. They also said I shouldn't ever buy a secondhand dive com because I don't know for sure its history, did it get damaged etc.

Are many divers on their Shearwater computers for 5-10 years? If so, that's really great. How is customer service like, is it lifetime or 5, 10 years? And I suppose this means I will be paying for shipping of the replacement components too if any.
Oh and shearwater has possibly the best customer service I’ve seen.

How important is getting the Perdix now (which is overkill) vs perhaps getting the Peregrine now and selling it off later to get a Perdix?
IMO it's extremely un-important to get the Perdix now. You're a brand new diver and who knows if you'll ever even be interested in diving with trimix. Besides, the cost of gear (and helium!) for that kind of diving will make your head swim; updating your computer will be the least of your worries at that point!

Air integration is just a convenience, and not even much of one in most diving situations. It's amazing what the dive gear industry will try to convince new divers to buy. I'm in my 5th year of cave diving and I'm still using my old petrel and SPGs. It's not that much work to look at a SPG. And that's in sidemount, where you have to balance tanks and monitor pressure closely in both tanks. In recreational diving, once you get the hang of it, you might only need to check your pressure a few times throughout the dive.

For a light, a nice inexpensive reliable light is the DGX600. (I bet someone else has already recommended that) They're well made, plenty, plenty bright for recreational diving, and about $70. And they make good back up lights when/if you get into technical diving. I wouldn't spend much more than that.

The wetsuit question is a good one, IMO fit is everything, and of course you need to get the appropriate thickness for your environment. This may take a bit of experimenting. But the bumper-sticker version is, get one that fits you perfectly. New, used, brand, style, etc,...it doesn't really matter. If it fits and is the right thickness for your needs, you'll be happy. If not on either end, you won't. Sorry I can't help you more.

I call BS on people having to get their shearwaters repaired all the time. The teric had a few problems that seem to have been worked out, but I’ve literally never heard a complaint about the perdix...

Oh and shearwater has possibly the best customer service I’ve seen.
I've not had good luck with my Teric, initially purchased in May 2019. I've had my 5th Teric since January 2022, hoping that this time would be the charm. Unfortunately, having just returned from a scuba trip, the battery consumption is now up to 4-5% per day. Looks like another repair or replacement for me Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service? The Teric is a great computer, I'm still hoping to get a good one.

Yes, Shearwater has excellent service. Richard and Michele Morton at DiveTronix are fantastic, I have gotten to know them pretty well. If it weren't for the excellent service, I would likely have given up a while ago.

IMO it's extremely un-important to get the Perdix now. You're a brand new diver and who knows if you'll ever even be interested in diving with trimix. Besides, the cost of gear (and helium!) for that kind of diving will make your head swim; updating your computer will be the least of your worries at that point!

Air integration is just a convenience, and not even much of one in most diving situations. It's amazing what the dive gear industry will try to convince new divers to buy. I'm in my 5th year of cave diving and I'm still using my old petrel and SPGs. It's not that much work to look at a SPG. And that's in sidemount, where you have to balance tanks and monitor pressure closely in both tanks. In recreational diving, once you get the hang of it, you might only need to check your pressure a few times throughout the dive.

For a light, a nice inexpensive reliable light is the DGX600. (I bet someone else has already recommended that) They're well made, plenty, plenty bright for recreational diving, and about $70. And they make good back up lights when/if you get into technical diving. I wouldn't spend much more than that.

The wetsuit question is a good one, IMO fit is everything, and of course you need to get the appropriate thickness for your environment. This may take a bit of experimenting. But the bumper-sticker version is, get one that fits you perfectly. New, used, brand, style, etc,...it doesn't really matter. If it fits and is the right thickness for your needs, you'll be happy. If not on either end, you won't. Sorry I can't help you more.
OP is in Singapore. Doubt he’ll be buying lights from a US online retailer due to shipping and import costs.

The wetsuit question is a good one, IMO fit is everything
100%, Can you have a wetsuit custom made on the island, or one a off the rack 'repaired' to make it fit?
Worth every penny
Or across the causeway in Malaysia.

OP is in Singapore. Doubt he’ll be buying lights from a US online retailer due to shipping and import costs.
There are many versions of the same light. They all seem to come from a couple of factories in Shenzhen. Nominal 1000 lumens (more like 600 in real world), 18650 battery, Cree XM-L2 lamp, triple o-rings between body and head, all-aluminum body around 240g with battery and 140mm long. I prefer the versions with multiple light levels as the brightest is too bright for most of my high viz tropical diving and burn time is 3 to 4 hours at the medium setting.

They cost around US $70 with a generic battery and charger in the US, but I've seen them cheaper in Asia.

It's a great recreational primary light and will work as a backup for most types of tech dives.

In a pinch, I used duct tape to prevent further damage to the top of my toes. It worked fine as well as embarrassing my daughter who was on the trip. I picked up lycra socks when I got back which solved the problem.
It's like magic....for your feet! :)

Back
Top Bottom