Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hadn't looked at the Teric manual for some time with regard to battery life:
1658675013877.png
1658675038007.png

A six month battery life, allowing for a 10% buffer, would require battery loss of <0.5%/day. A 3 month life would require <1%/day.

A discussion of the effect of AI and the compass on battery life often comes up. AI has an effect on battery life when the computer is in dive mode. The effect is greater when the transmitter is not communicating with the computer than when it is. AI has no effect on battery consumption when the computer is in watch mode. The compass only consumes power when it is on screen.

I turn off my Teric from watch mode for storage. I got in the habit of turning off AI for storage, it appears that should not be necessary.

1658678212313.png
1658678234089.png

I just turn them off with the light button, it takes weeks to show any loss and I rarely go long between dives so I can’t speak to long term storage.

I just turn them off with the light button
Same typically, but sometimes mine is off via screen timeout. No difference in my discharge rate when done from either watch or dive mode with either initiation method. Off is off, it seems.

I started this thread more than 2 years ago. I am optimistic that I am off the Teric problem list. I've had my current Teric since Jan 2022 and after 4 dive trips/57 dives, my battery use is less than 0.5%/day over a month.

The Teric is a great computer. Shearwater has excellent service and I hope they have overcome the problems they have had with the Teric.

I'm going down to Florida very soon to give my Teric another workout :). Best of luck to all my fellow Teric owners.
I've had my 5th Teric since the beginning of the year. I took it on its 5th dive trip in July and did 21 dives over 8 days. Upon return, the battery consumption has increased from a fraction of a %/day to 2.4%/day over the last 27 days. This is excessive Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

My wife and I have a 2 week trip to Bonaire starting next week, and plan to do 40 some dives. I communicated with Dive-Tronix, just as a heads up to the increased battery consumption. As you would imagine, they offered to send me a loaner for the trip. I declined as I am already diving a second AI computer and can charge the Teric as needed during the trip.

We'll see what the battery looks like when I return home in Sept.

Well I charged my primary Teric on Thursday afternoon, on Saturday morning when I went to dive it, it was at 84%.

Per my logbook my first dive with it since the last board replacement (which might not be the last battery replacement) was 11/2021.

RMA submitted with DIvetronix, waiting on the loaner before I ship it out.

...the battery consumption has increased from a fraction of a %/day to 2.4%/day over the last 27 days. This is excessive Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

When not diving, were you wearing the Teric in hot sunny weather? More than usual than when you're at home?

My battery #2 did a nose dive after a hot sunny dive vacation. I notice it gets very hot to the touch just during normal wear when outside in the sun. I've wondered for quite a while if the problem with the Teric battery is either that it is unusually heat-sensitive, or that the Teric design makes the watch a "heat magnet" that cooks the battery (black face, black insulating plastic case).

I used to wear mine throughout the day on dive days, but now I baby it and put it in a pocket when I'm back on land, and even try to keep it covered when on a boat during surface intervals. That started when I got it back with battery #3, which is still going strong a year later (< 0.25% per day when "off"). I'm not willing to test my theory by wearing it normally during my next tropical trip, but I'm curious whether anyone else has noticed a correlation between use in hot sunny weather and a rapid nosedive in battery performance.

Hi @TooCold

I don't wear my Teric as a watch, only as a dive computer. My battery consumption is all with it off.

Leaving for Bonaire today, will see how it does there and afterward.

@scubadata I keep mine turned off as well; my impression is based solely on that I used to keep it on my wrist (turned off) during the day, and so exposed to the sun quite a lot of the time.

When not diving, were you wearing the Teric in hot sunny weather? More than usual than when you're at home?

My battery #2 did a nose dive after a hot sunny dive vacation. I notice it gets very hot to the touch just during normal wear when outside in the sun. I've wondered for quite a while if the problem with the Teric battery is either that it is unusually heat-sensitive, or that the Teric design makes the watch a "heat magnet" that cooks the battery (black face, black insulating plastic case).

I used to wear mine throughout the day on dive days, but now I baby it and put it in a pocket when I'm back on land, and even try to keep it covered when on a boat during surface intervals. That started when I got it back with battery #3, which is still going strong a year later (< 0.25% per day when "off"). I'm not willing to test my theory by wearing it normally during my next tropical trip, but I'm curious whether anyone else has noticed a correlation between use in hot sunny weather and a rapid nosedive in battery performance.
Dive-Tronix repaired my depth sensor and made the following comment:
“….There is damage to the depth sensor, it looks melted and looks like there could have been a leak. The melting could have been caused by leaving it in a very hot car, leaving it lying in the sun on a hot day, soaking it in too hot of water. These are all just guesses. We can't say for sure what happened our how. Photos are attached”

E0D3B64F-7F6A-4FB0-8CDD-71657429A47E.jpeg

I don’t think I ever leaving it it a hot car, nor lying it in the sun, nor soaking it in hot water. I babied my Teric. It’s either on my wrist during diving or in camera tub after diving or in its cradle for overnight charging or in its case in my carryon backpack during travel.

The depth sensor crapped out during my first morning checkout dive after a long flight to Indonesia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom