Newly certified - Buying dive com, dive light, and wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if you've made your decisions yet. I was in much the same place as you, last December, except I bought my DC's before even doing my first dive. I opted for Shearwater because of the algorithms, customer service, and buy once cry once mentality. Although I did want AI and I love it! So I purchased a terix, the newer SW transmitter, and also got a perdix AI as a backup. I was able to get really good deals on all of them. No issues except the transmitter blew its overpressure valve about a week and a half into my diving. Shearwater and DiveTronix were awesome in replacing it.

As far as lights go - On day 3 of diving I did my first night dive. An ostracod night dive in Bonaire. My instructor had a tovatech galaxy 2 for her personal light during night dives and it was awesome. I bought one as soon as I got home. It's big but still easily fits in your hand, and expensive ($395 US on their website but you can find about $50 cheaper elsewhere. I was able to get it on sale for like 275) It's meant to be a camera light but she used it as a hand torch. Super bright flood light, super bright spotlight, red light, and UV light all wrapped into one. If you plan on doing night diving, I highly recommend spending the extra coin as you can throw on the UV and check out the cool effect whenever you want and then switch back without having to use a second light. I also carry a sealife sea dragon mini 900s as my primary during the day and backup at night. small and bright. Both are rechargeable batteries.

Not sure if you've made your decisions yet. I was in much the same place as you, last December, except I bought my DC's before even doing my first dive. I opted for Shearwater because of the algorithms, customer service, and buy once cry once mentality. Although I did want AI and I love it! So I purchased a terix, the newer SW transmitter, and also got a perdix AI as a backup. I was able to get really good deals on all of them. No issues except the transmitter blew its overpressure valve about a week and a half into my diving. Shearwater and DiveTronix were awesome in replacing it.

As far as lights go - On day 3 of diving I did my first night dive. An ostracod night dive in Bonaire. My instructor had a tovatech galaxy 2 for her personal light during night dives and it was awesome. I bought one as soon as I got home. It's big but still easily fits in your hand, and expensive ($395 US on their website but you can find about $50 cheaper elsewhere. I was able to get it on sale for like 275) It's meant to be a camera light but she used it as a hand torch. Super bright flood light, super bright spotlight, red light, and UV light all wrapped into one. If you plan on doing night diving, I highly recommend spending the extra coin as you can throw on the UV and check out the cool effect whenever you want and then switch back without having to use a second light. I also carry a sealife sea dragon mini 900s as my primary during the day and backup at night. small and bright. Both are rechargeable batteries.

I'll also add, I looked around for cheaper alternatives to the tovatec. There is one other brand (can't remember the name) that is comparable but was even more expensive. There are lots of similar lights on amazon, however, in looking at the details, the UV "blue" light was not in the wavelength of true UV. I didn't want to risk it just to save some money but you could give it a try and see how they work.

Used is ok, just about all of my equipment was bought used. There are some nuances with used equipment, depending on which piece it is. For example, with aluminum scuba-tanks, I'd stick to 1990 or newer birth-year. Also take into consideration whether it needs Hydro. For regulators, also consider you'll immediately want them serviced.

There's a good amount of used scuba-equipment posted on Scubaboard. I'm not familiar with Singapore's used market, but in the US I tend to look at ebay, craigslist, or facebook-marketplace.

If you are newly certified, you may not be ready for night-dives yet. Some agencies have a night or limited-visibility course.

Have you considered using a lycra dive sock for blister prevention? I have a similar problem when I go to a wetsuit bootiie. Lycra socks seem to have taken care of that problem.

Regarding your right foot fin/blister issue, have you tried dive socks? My dive buddy had a similar issue and feet looked like raw meat after the second or third day of a dive trip. He tried a thin neoprene option and that worked great. Since, he has also used the thin lycra style under his dive booties and has had no problems. He takes both on trips now and has no issues. I know he's had good luck with the ScubaTubeSocks, but I'm sure there are other good options out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom