Any reason not to get a AL30, compared with a AL19?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And 40s will have better resale value.

I've never purchased any dive gear, (or automobiles, appliances, books, medicines, tools, and etc.}, and took its potential resale value into consideration. Due diligence and planning insures wise investment. Most of the items that I've purchased provided many years of reliable service. (Except air, nitrox, helium, and argon fills}.

My SAC is at 0.5 cuft/min, a pretty standard value.

If you are actually switching to the pony might want to plan for an (drastically) elevated SAC rate.

If you are actually switching to the pony might want to plan for an (drastically) elevated SAC rate.
yeah thanks for the flag.
the calculation is indeed based on 2x of that at 1cuft/min

I've seen materials that says to 3x but feels like to me to be a bit excessive as I've never reached 1.5, even when I'm rushing back to shore for an appointment..

I've never purchased any dive gear, (or automobiles, appliances, books, medicines, tools, and etc.}, and took its potential resale value into consideration. Due diligence and planning insures wise investment. Most of the items that I've purchased provided many years of reliable service. (Except air, nitrox, helium, and argon fills}.

Certain things are good for resale - like Shearwaters. Steel tanks. AL40. Always sell.

Thanks for you input.
It's true that my normal dives are usually around or shallower than 80 feet.

My SAC is at 0.5 cuft/min, a pretty standard value.

So AL13 actually would serves me well on a majority of my dives.
but AL19(short), which is what I was originally going to get, is only slightly fatter and can allow me to surface from at most 120 feet.

I personally feel the added benefit of going deeper is pretty nice to have. :)
For a SAC of 0.5, a 13 will get you to the surface from 130 feet at 10M-30 F/M with plenty of gas left. I have no hatred for the 19, in either skinny or fat, I just think solo diving should involve better planning than "what if I go deeper than planned?".

And I'm not trolling you or trying to be difficult either.

@Wookie Man?, you are making me nervous. Should I be doing my chicken little thing again?

With an 19 you can go a bit slower ...
Yup, that’s the truth. And if you prefer a slower ascent rate than 30 fpm, than that is what you should plan for. Some prefer to plan for a safety stop as well.

*My Opinion* is that a pony is an emergency cylinder to get you safely to the surface in the event of an unplanned out of air event. Safety stop not needed. Nice slow ascent not needed. Getting to all of the air is what’s needed. And that’s how I taught the course.

As I said earlier, I have nothing against 19s, or 30’s or doubles. I just think that folks need to understand why they are picking the cylinder they are picking.

Except color of course. Color is the most important.

Even if at 150ft if all I have is a 13 I’ll make it to the surface, better a chamber ride than a funeral from drowning.

Can mods move this thread to the what can I buy for the future but dive now after pumping up my tyres forum please

Are you trolling the mods? You have to do better than that.

I've changed my post to highlight poor purchasing practices, not interested in mods, don't know what trolling is

happy-diver says now:
Can someone start a “What can I buy that's appropriate for my future diving that I may never do

but completely rubbish for the diving I am doing now, after pumping up car tyres,” forum, please

Back
Top Bottom