Hard to get a wing configuration, tips&tricks needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
AnaCat

AnaCat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I need advice in switching to a back plate+wing.

Currently I have a back inflate Mares Aliikai BCD, but I keep having issues with the integrated weights (weak mechanism, they fall off at the slightest touch although not overweighted) and the trim pockets placed on the tank belt have ruptured in the first trip, with just 0,5 kg in them and no other strain placed on them.
While I wait for a response from Mares as it’s still in the warranty period I started considering switching to a backplate and wing config.

My main issue is that in Romania there are just 2-3 dive shops in Bucharest and they keep minimal stock for most common items.
I have no chance to try different configurations with them.

I know it‘s essential to have the proper fit for the backplate and this is my main concern.
Although I dive only when traveling I would like a heavier version (3-4 kg) because it would help me with my weight distribution. I usually travel to dive in the very salty Red Sea with a 5 or 7 mm wetsuit, 5 mm boots and being a very curvy female means that I need 12 kg to go down and have a comfortable safety stop with empty tank. I did numerous weight checks with instructors and DMs that were telling me it’s too much and we always ended with this amount.

Can you tell me what I would need to have a full configuration? What would be the pros/cons for making this switc?
Any idea on how I could at least get close to config that would suit me? Any resources for reading/ watching that you would recommend?
Thank you all and happy bubbles!

Tecline and xDeep both make good stuff for a good price, IMO. I like the Tecline better though, mostly because their webbing is a bit softer and user-friendly without being floppy. There are plenty of EU webshops that offer and ship the Tecline rigs for very friendly prices too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom