Hard to get a wing configuration, tips&tricks needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
AnaCat

AnaCat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I need advice in switching to a back plate+wing.

Currently I have a back inflate Mares Aliikai BCD, but I keep having issues with the integrated weights (weak mechanism, they fall off at the slightest touch although not overweighted) and the trim pockets placed on the tank belt have ruptured in the first trip, with just 0,5 kg in them and no other strain placed on them.
While I wait for a response from Mares as it’s still in the warranty period I started considering switching to a backplate and wing config.

My main issue is that in Romania there are just 2-3 dive shops in Bucharest and they keep minimal stock for most common items.
I have no chance to try different configurations with them.

I know it‘s essential to have the proper fit for the backplate and this is my main concern.
Although I dive only when traveling I would like a heavier version (3-4 kg) because it would help me with my weight distribution. I usually travel to dive in the very salty Red Sea with a 5 or 7 mm wetsuit, 5 mm boots and being a very curvy female means that I need 12 kg to go down and have a comfortable safety stop with empty tank. I did numerous weight checks with instructors and DMs that were telling me it’s too much and we always ended with this amount.

Can you tell me what I would need to have a full configuration? What would be the pros/cons for making this switc?
Any idea on how I could at least get close to config that would suit me? Any resources for reading/ watching that you would recommend?
Thank you all and happy bubbles!

Are there any dive clubs you have contact with that have pool nights where you might try out a backplate and wing?

I don't understand what you mean by configuration. Backplate and wing is a standard setup that you can adjust.

For what it's worth tecline make a great travel kit: TecLine Donut 17 for a single cylinder - complete set / travel set

I ordered from that shop (red Donut, alu plate) and am very happy with my purchase. It comes with weight pockets you can put on the harness and trim pockets for the tank strap. I don't like harness weight pockets so I just use a weight belt. I see you can also order the kit with a 3mm steel plate that weighs 2.5kg, which might be better for your purposes. Also don't order the soft harness. It's not good.

In terms of setup, Achim from innerspace explorers made a great youtube video on how to setup your harness.

Alternatively as Marie suggested, maybe get in touch with a scuba club that dives in DIR or is GUE. They should be able to help you out.

I love my bp/w. Will never use a BCD again if I can help it.

it sounds like you would be fine with a steel plate in all circumstances. the only difference really is if you are short enough (under 165cm generally) that a small/short pattern backplate would be better than a standard plate. subgravity has the cheapest short backplate option currently. as for the wing, dtd or tecline wing in 14L to 17L would be fine.

What @Sebs said: with 12 kilos you'll want some of it ditch-able and you may or may not have enough room on your waist strap for the weight pockets. You can wear a weight belt but it normally goes under the BP harness and makes a less-quick-ditch option.

We had a couple of Italians using TecLine BP&W's in our group on Roatan 3 years ago, they looked pretty decent.

I don’t have what to try, there are just 2 shops here and don’t have plates or wings in stock, Also, all rental gear is standard vest BCD.
This is why I am so apprehensive.
Do you know any European shop that can offer online counsel? It needs to be from EU, cause if US or Uk the taxes would kill me 😅

🙏🙏🙏

How tall are you?
Only shop I know with good people in EU is Scuba Academie in Vinkeveen Nederland. Quite sure they would be happy to help with advice. Webshop
Here are a few videos made by GUE with Dorota Czerny that talks about BPW and small plates.
Luckily there are some really good equipment manufacturers in Europe. I don't know other than Halcyon that has the small plate. However, a standard BPW with a standard continous webbing is a pretty standard concept. So If you find this or that system, as long as it has a plate, webbing, a wing and a crotchstrap, you do not need to go premium pricepoint.
From personal experience, I bought my Halcyon doubles wing 11 years ago. It has 850ish dives... and I think I have maybe tightened exhaustvalve a couple times, and changed the inflator one time. It lives in the car, and sees freshwater if I can find a cave. So...I reccommend it. If you are shorter than 165-170, consider the small steel plate.

Back
Top Bottom