Any deployed US Navy: w/ Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..Funny how you all think my kid is a "He".. From what I hear, our modern Navy is nearly 20% female..

Don't see how that is "funny". By your own admission 80% of the Navy is male. I would think that the odds are in favor of your child being a male in the Navy. That may not be the case, but the odds do lean that way.

80% of the world is right handed
20% is left handed

The "odds" are in favor that I am right handed and most people would think I am when they see me shooting right handed, but I am left handed.

I recently retired from the Navy. I was stationed in Japan from March 2000 - May 2005.

Every ship has space to store things. Generally most ships make space to store a seabag of whatever they might need in the berthing areas. But, it can be difficult to retrieve it since the area is a big cage with bags tossed on bags. Additionally, every work center seems to have a place for storing items. My own work center had 3'x3' lockers in our work space. I would highly recommend that your child consult their fellow shipmates upon arriving, to clarify the storage capabilities available to them, before sending any Pelican cases, etc.

Qualifications are not that hard to complete, providing they are not anti-social. Those that meet people and socialize find that qualifications turn into who you know if you want to knock them out fast. I would not worry so much about finding time to complete them. They always get finished in time, since nobody likes to be singled out as delinquent. Most ships put new check-ins into an INDOC class that gets them qualified basic firefighting and maintenance before heading to their workcenters. The hard qualifications are done before they start working in their rates.

Concerning rental of gear. It is prohibitively expensive for junior enlisted to dive in Japan. The yen is currently 102 yen to $1. Which is not bad, until you factor in the high cost of living in Japan. The language barrier also greatly increases the difficulty in getting in dives, unless they hook up with other sailors thru MRW or some such group. The waters around Yokosuka are very cold and disgusting.

Deployments are the keys to diving when stationed overseas. But, I would encourage a first port visit to a country to be more about experiencing the local customs and seeing the sites. Some places are only visited once every 5 years, if visited at all. So, if they decide to return to dive, they know how to get around and about where they might like to revisit.

EDIT: Recommend they visit HIS (Japanese travel company) when booking a flight to another Asian country. They got me killer deals to Singapore, Thailand, Phillippines, Indonesia, etc. The Military travel company (SATO) can only book with US airlines, which limits the flight destinations and increases the cost by almost triple sometimes. Stationed in Yokosuka will make it easy to fly anywhere out of Tokyo, which is only an hour or two hour train ride from the base, depending upon the rail line you hope on.

Last edited:
savsuds....

Thanks for the input! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. From conversation last night, it sounds like 'we' are pretty darned determined to pack the dive gear right out of the gate. I was hoping I could persuade against it until we could be sure it will all work out.

Good to know the water temps suck at Yokosuka. I was not expecting that.

To me, the diving was cold. I started on Guam, where it is about 80F at 130ft. It is roughly about the same as diving off of North Carolina as far as temperatures. I was used to a 3mm, anD non-Okinawa water temps justify a 5mm+ or dry suit. To clarify my disgusting comment better: the amount of shipping traffic results in the waters around Yokosuka to be pretty trashy. People throw it overboard.

As others have stated, he's going to need to get Qual'd on his rate and WQSB duties. Depending in his assignment and what rate he wants to go, that is a while 'nother set of quals that he's going to have to learn before A school. If one of my non rates had enough time to dive their three months to a year, I failed them as a NCO. Seriously depended on how much they picked things up and learned. Then again, things were a bit different in the Coast Guard versus the Navy. Different missions and training. Tell both of your kids Bravo Zulu from this former Coastie.

'Nother thing, make sure they choose the rate that has the best opportunities to advance and have fun. Gunners Mates are the best, then MK's, then everyone else. Choose your Rate, Choose your Fate.

As others have stated, he's going to need to get Qual'd on his rate and WQSB duties. Depending in his assignment and what rate he wants to go, that is a while 'nother set of quals that he's going to have to learn before A school. If one of my non rates had enough time to dive their three months to a year, I failed them as a NCO. Seriously depended on how much they picked things up and learned. Then again, things were a bit different in the Coast Guard versus the Navy. Different missions and training. Tell both of your kids Bravo Zulu from this former Coastie.

'Nother thing, make sure they choose the rate that has the best opportunities to advance and have fun. Gunners Mates are the best, then MK's, then everyone else. Choose your Rate, Choose your Fate.

Thanks AJ! My mom worked as a DODs employee for Army ACS and the CG equivalent and retired a few years back.

Both kids have rates secured. Kid#1 graduated A school last week. This is the one headed off to Yokosuka. Kid#2 will be in A school out west for several more months. From what we understand.. Kid#1 will be aboard ship for at least a couple weeks, but (when not at sea), may are able to live in some on shore arrangement. Info seems pretty vague at this point. We hear some get apartments, which seems pretty odd to me. Even odder, I just heard there is now a NO Alcohol rule in place for US Military in Japan. ? Is this true? (fine by me)..

Back
Top Bottom