Any deployed US Navy: w/ Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveeagle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a kid that just finished Navy 'A school' and is shipping out to Japan in a couple weeks. ...Does anyone have a perspective on how realistic it is to bring any (or all) scuba gear. I know there will be time for diving at some point. And yes, we know you can always rent gear, but beyond tanks and weights, we really hate to rent gear.

I don't want to really say too much about job/rate.. but was hoping some folks could chime in on what has worked for you and what (if anything) you would recommend.

I was thinking about ordering something like a pelican box that could hold the typical mask/fins/BC/regs/wetsuit.. and be lockable...

My impression is that what you can take to sea on a ship is very limited. On shore duty it's lot more practical. So it depends.

Not sure what your asking, sounds like you plan on visiting your son in Japan and going diving while your there. If your son is a diver and wants to bring his gear, there's plenty of places to store gear on a ship. Our son is a SAR swimmer and has everything but a BCD and tanks, now we just have to get him certified. Is your son taking a ship to Japan or flying, either way he should be able to pack some gear.

Not sure what your asking, sounds like you plan on visiting your son in Japan and going diving while your there. If your son is a diver and wants to bring his gear, there's plenty of places to store gear on a ship. Our son is a SAR swimmer and has everything but a BCD and tanks, now we just have to get him certified. Is your son taking a ship to Japan or flying, either way he should be able to pack some gear.
By the sounds of it he is asking if it is possible for his son, to bring his dive gear who will be working onboard an American navy ship. I believe the non-officers normally share spaces and they are pretty limited. I am not sure what their storage situation is like, however I guess that is what the posters question is here, whether it is feasible to bring gear onboard a navy ship, and would I presume be used when docked at a location.

Having done a Tiger cruse with our son, there are quite a few places to "Unofficially" store gear.

Having been an enlisted man in the Navy, there is a ton of space to store gear on the ship. However, he probably wants to get there and get shaken out first. It's great to be a parent and watch out for him, but Dad, let him find his way. Once he gets there, gets qualified on his gear, gets his ship's quals out of the way, he will have time to go see some of Japan and do some diving. Or maybe he won't. Here is a great idea. When he gets a chance to breath, when he doesn't have a million things to do, and when he gains the respect of his shipmates, why don't you go visit him, bring his gear with you, and both of you go see some of what underwater Japan has to offer. Until then, wish him the very best and let him grow up and be a man. I don't mean to be snarky, and I'm surely not doing so. But he will take a ration of grief if his shipmates think he is a Momma's or Daddy's boy.

At least, that's how it was in my Navy. I know it's changed.

Lots of places to "stash" gear onboard...BUT... I can assure you that after serving on both CV-62 Independence and CVN-68 Nimitz...if he's just coming out of his "A " school he's gonna have ALOT on his plate the next 2-3 years. Between being new to the Navy, ships quals and trying to make rates, among other things...having his personal scuba gear probably won't be a big priority.
He can probably score gear he needs IF he dives...from Navy recreation wherever he happens to be. And as always..the "O" above has given pretty good advice.

Bubs

ok.. some interesting insight. ...and some of you have missed my point entirely! I have no plans to visit Japan, so having my kid store gear for me is just ridiculous. I know about the Tiger cruises, but I would happily sign my wife up for this before me if it is at all possible.

My kid is an active, enthusiastic diver who is excited about being deployed someplace cool and also struggling with the reality of being away from family during some pretty challenging times (family health issue).

It's not me pushing to carry the scuba gear off on the deployment. I have actually been recommending to hold off and get settled before creating more work and complexity.

I know it sounds kind of odd, but my other kid is also in the military out on the west coast, and just packed a full set of gear off on the flight home. "kid#2" already has friends who dive, and might even get into group of divers as early as next weekend.

So... Kid#1 wants to be prepared to get into some diving in Yokosuka when the opportunity presents itself.

I am not buying or selling. (really). I was just hoping to get some intelligent perspective on how this might (or might not) work out.

He has more important things to do rent it all if the opportunity arises to Dive. He wont have much time to think about Diving. After he get situated and finds out about his duty station send the gear to him. Hell when I went in 1960 we couldn't even have or wear civilian clothes on Board ship. That's the way I think it should still be. Good luck on your Navy career. Check out Dive school.

He has more important things to do rent it all if the opportunity arises to Dive. He wont have much time to think about Diving. After he get situated and finds out about his duty station send the gear to him. Hell when I went in 1960 we couldn't even have or wear civilian clothes on Board ship. That's the way I think it should still be. Good luck on your Navy career. Check out Dive school.

^Thanks! And that's pretty much the message I have been passing on! ..accept for the rental gear.. I hate renting gear.. FWIW: the only two 'in water' reg failures I have witnessed have been on rental gear.

..Funny how you all think my kid is a "He".. From what I hear, our modern Navy is nearly 20% female.

In any case.. both my 'kids' have pretty intensive, demanding rates. I am definitely encouraging them to keep the social activities on hold and get qualified before being worried about having fun. I also know that stress management is important and burn out rates are pretty high in some rates. I am not really in control here. Just trying to give the best advice I can with limited knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom