Another Venice Beach Dive-Sun. 1-11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it appears that we wont be coming, due to the xmas shopping splurge, my GF cant afford the $100 or so to get a new thicker wetsuit (only has a 3mm for spring/east coast diving!), so it off for this month for us. When was it said that temps might be up towards a 3mm temp?? I thought i read that it might be around mid 60's in march/april - that is assuming the weather stays as it is - hot and nasty for winter!

Have fun that weekend, sorry we cant join you. We will have to try to find other arrangements that weekend as we would still like to dive - maybe just a spring for us though.

I think i recall that high tide changes by about an hour (later) each day (half hour per tide), its been a while since i last really checked a tide table though! So over the course of about 2 weeks now that would be around 12-14 hours later than last time we all tried. Judging by Jeff's experience of it being low tide, it may have been coming in as well still, just earlier in the cycle. Does anyone have a tide table for Venice - or at least one you can adjust from Tampa or Fort Myers or somewhere??

simbrooks:
I think i recall that high tide changes by about an hour (later) each day (half hour per tide), its been a while since i last really checked a tide table though! So over the course of about 2 weeks now that would be around 12-14 hours later than last time we all tried. Judging by Jeff's experience of it being low tide, it may have been coming in as well still, just earlier in the cycle. Does anyone have a tide table for Venice - or at least one you can adjust from Tampa or Fort Myers or somewhere??

Being a sailor as well as a scuba diver I just happened to have this link handy.
Would love too see all of you but opting for Crystal River with the Manatees, better visability & 72 degree water for my diving on 1/11/04. Just getting ready to go sailing out of Dunedin/Clearwater area. Water temp is a brisk 61 degrees here :)

Florida Gulf Coast Tide Charts

Thank's very much for the tide chart link. I've added it to my bookmarks. Wouldn't you know that it will be low tide when we get there which means vis. will be kaka. But from what I gather vis. at VB is a big variable anyway.
I'm glad I didn't get rid of my 7mm farmer john wet suit when I moved down here so water temp. isn't an issue. Now if I could just develop sonar.

Chuck

simbrooks:
Have fun that weekend, sorry we cant join you. We will have to try to find other arrangements that weekend as we would still like to dive - maybe just a spring for us though.

Then there were two. :-(

Hi,
New here with a report for Venice.
Jan. 1, 9am, no vis maybe 3" before the sandbar got worst the farther out you went. Got to the point that I had to hold compass against mask to see it. Water temp. 63.
Jan. 4, 8:30am, vis 1-2' depending on the area. water temp. 65. BT 70. Found 75 teeth no megs.
Hope to meet up with you guys for a dive some time.

Being certified; Doesn't make you qualified.

I'm hoping to get out there on Tuesday, if anyone is interested.

Viz must have really cleared up this weekend!! Lucky so and so

scubasrm2:
Hi,
New here with a report for Venice.
Jan. 1, 9am, no vis maybe 3" before the sandbar got worst the farther out you went. Got to the point that I had to hold compass against mask to see it. Water temp. 63.
Jan. 4, 8:30am, vis 1-2' depending on the area. water temp. 65. BT 70. Found 75 teeth no megs.
Hope to meet up with you guys for a dive some time.

Being certified; Doesn't make you qualified.

Woohoo!!! Water temp and vis seem to be improving. Thanks for the report Scubasrm2. Nice find on the teeth. Some of us will be there next Sun the 11th around 8-9 am. You are welcome to join us,and any other hardy adventurer.
And welcome to the board.

Chuck

Would love to join you guys, but all I have as of now is a 3 mm shorty and with a car needing complete breaklines redone, a thicker suit isn't in my future anytime soon.
The weather is forcasting rain for next weekend (sat the 10th) but that is still a whole week away, so who knows. I haven't personally been IN the water since the temp got below my tolerance threshold, but a friend at work who went on Friday said the vis wasn't bad and that the seaweed which had been giving him a problem was clearing up.
Will try to check more as the week progresses.

**Curse my instructor for getting me hooked on diving, just before the weather changed and I found myself sidelined. Live four blocks from beach and can't get in water, kind of like watching a stripper and knowing you can't touch. Arrrrrrrgh**

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom