Another help me pick a regulator thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, but DiveRite is a brand you would say is worth considering?

I also found and second hand mk17 with r390 or s600

so my list is now
second hand scubapro mk17 (it's a few years old so would probably need servicing before I could use it)
Dive Rite xt1 with two xt2 and spg

possibly deep6 if I can find a NZ service shop, or start a new hobby servicing regs....

Apeks xtx50 if I can find one cheap enough.

Servicing is not really a deal breaker for me, I've spent most of my life pulling things apart and getting them back together, plus I would have a least a year or two before I have to really think about servicing.

Hi

Just getting back into diving and need some helping picking a regulator, as always money is a factor, compounded by the fact I'm in New Zealand with slightly limited range as well as "healthier" margins equals I having trouble selecting a reg within my budget.

Diving wise, will be mostly recreational to around 20m with the occasional holiday dive to 30m

after a lot of shopping around and review watching I have the following on my list of possibles, the three groups are $450, $500 and $550 NZD (approx $330, $365 and $400 USD)

Hollis 100LX DC3
Scubapro MK2 EVO/R095

Hollis 212 DC1
Sherwood SR1

Mares Prestige 15X
Apeks XTX20 UST

I'm not sure if the last two are worth the extra $100 over the first two, but the 212 and SR1 seem to be worth the extra $50 (from what I gather they are older generation but from a higher price bracket)
If you get a good deal on the Apeks, get the Apeks. A lot of He experienced hardy bucks around here swear by Apeks and poseidon

Hollis is the tech side of Oceanic if that's a brand they service.

The MK17 is the best diaphragm reg Scubapro sells.

Diverite has a good reputation here in the US. I believe they - like HOG/Edge and Deep6 are made by the same Taiwan OEM that makes a lot of regs for others.

I agree with Buddha - stray away from the SR1 - lot's of reported problems with that one - here on SB and elsewhere.

Last edited:
wow more great advice, thanks guys.

What about Dive Rite gear, the xt1 first with xt2 second stage? it's not a brand I have heard of before.

I have looked at trademe, but I'm leaning towards new/or near new, would feel a bit more comfortable with gear with little to none unknown history.

I own a set of Dive Rite XT regs and they are very nice. If local service is an option, then they would be a great option. Several of these other options (like HOG) are also good option as long as you have a plan for service. *honestly, any decent reg tech should be able to service most of the mentioned brands, as long as they are trying to be helpful, and have a service parts available.

I would also suggest getting into a service clinic when possible. Even if you don't plan to DIY, if you learn how to tune and trouble-shoot your regs, you will be much better prepared to know when your regal actually need service.

The best value with best breathing, reliability and pricing is the MK17/c370 combination.

What about an MK2 and G260 (or whatever they are calling it now). Simple bulletproof first stage and very reliable, excellent breathing second stage. if you are not diving cold water the MK17 really has no advantage to the MK2 other than maybe hose routing. I know that SP loves to advertise the air flow specs for their first stages with the MK17 flowing something like 175cfm which is almost twice as much as the 90cfm of the MK2. But they never tell the full story (which is typical in all advertising). When they test these numbers they are using a nearly unlimited airsource. In reality as divers we are using a valve that is only rated around 50cfm at 3000psi.

What about an MK2 and G260 (or whatever they are calling it now). Simple bulletproof first stage and very reliable, excellent breathing second stage. if you are not diving cold water the MK17 really has no advantage to the MK2 other than maybe hose routing. I know that SP loves to advertise the air flow specs for their first stages with the MK17 flowing something like 175cfm which is almost twice as much as the 90cfm of the MK2. But they never tell the full story (which is typical in all advertising). When they test these numbers they are using a nearly unlimited airsource. In reality as divers we are using a valve that is only rated around 50cfm at 3000psi.

I can see using a balanced first stage regulator and a less expensive unbalanced second stage regulator. But using an unbalanced first stage (MK2) regulator with an expensive balanced second stage (G260) is not a choice I would recommend.

I can see using a balanced first stage regulator and a less expensive unbalanced second stage regulator. But using an unbalanced first stage (MK2) regulator with an expensive balanced second stage (G260) is not a choice I would recommend.

What is your reasoning behind this? You need to look at how balancing effects a regulators performance. A balanced first will keep the intermediate pressure constant regardless of tank pressure. A balanced second stage will keep work of breathing constant regardless of intermediate pressure. Regardless, both produce similar outcome and that is to keep the WOB consistent over the course of the dive. The majority of the WOB comes from the second stage not the first, so the combo I'm recommending will give a better breathing setup than using a balanced first and a non balanced second. The MK2/g250, 260 is actually a very common deco bottle setup.

A MK17 will not keep ip constant regardless of tank pressure unfortunately, unless a 13psi swing is considered balanced. Now the old Titans and conshelfs on the other hand I get a 2-3 PSI swing, ditto Apeks but they "added" the over balancing "feature".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom