New diver - questions and thoughts on regulator setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have a reason not to go with Scubapro? I know there was some comment on the S560 being crap, but it is that same reg as older the S600 with a different purge cover, only recently have SP gone back to metal barrels on the S600. I personally have 17 s600, 1 s360 and 1 s560. One of the s600s (converted from a G500) has a metal barrel I cant tell the difference in any of these. We have had some debate over the merits of metal and plastic I am not wanting to start that again! Then there is the S360 that is the old S555, or a S560 without user adjustment. If you are not diving really cold then the MK25 is a great 1st stage or you could go for the MK17 (sealed diaphragm) 1st stage.

I'm not anti-Scubapro. But, they seem to be extremely overpriced here in HK. It seems like most LDS just push every student to MK25/S600 as the "standard" setup to buy. I'm sure it is great quality, but wonder if it is worth it. (Off topic a bit, but with many sports, I've found that the mainstream product is aimed at the "average" user who doesn't really know much.) Additionally, it seems like a lot of people, both here, and other places, are of the opinion that SP are over-priced for what you get.

So, after doing a ton of research, both the Apeks XTX50 or the Atomic Z2 look like good starting points for a rig.

Although, fairly soon, I may give up and give in. Leaving for my first dive trip in about two weeks and would really like to take my own gear with me. So, may just bit the bullet and go with either an MK25 or MK17/G260 setup. I have no doubt that either setup will be quality and last for years.

Also, as a side note: I found a nice chart on the official SP website comparing regulator features. The difference between the G260 and S600 is almost nothing. Same features, almost the same airflow, almost the same weight, etc. Not sure it is worth the premium for the S600.

Now, there is a significant difference between the MK17 and MK25. Sealed diaphragm vs. piston. AND a big jump in price. I guess the appropriate question is: Is the piston that much better than the sealed diaphragm that it warrants an extra $XXX?

The G260 is bigger and heavier than the S600. I highly doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between a MK17 and a MK25. The MK25 routes a little better having the 5th port if you're using a long hose. I only got the G260s because they were super cheap, oh and they look cool.

Just buy something available and cheap. Consider something fashionable so you can get rid of it later perhaps. 20 years ago if a magazine did a comparative review of regulators some were not so good at depth, breathed a bit wet or were generally a bit rubbish. With CE testing etc this is no longer true.

The reasons to buy one reg or another are things like hose routing, servicing, weight, cold water compatibility, solid construction and a bit about how they breath.

It is very easy to be too analytical about dive gear. That analysis is often wrong when you actually go diving with the kit. You find out that what you thought was important is irrelevant or possibly just a marketing thing.

For example why an xtx50? Why not an atx40? Or at least an xtx40 if you need two HP ports? Have you been seduced by an extra knob?

I think it is worth buying a mainstream brand as the second hand value will be better.

Between the G260s and my XTX I think the XTX "might" be a little smoother but that might be down to tuning as my G260s haven't been touched out of the box. I do notice the additional weight of the G260s. I think the G260 is slightly better made.

I'm not anti-Scubapro. But, they seem to be extremely overpriced here in HK. It seems like most LDS just push every student to MK25/S600 as the "standard" setup to buy. I'm sure it is great quality, but wonder if it is worth it. (Off topic a bit, but with many sports, I've found that the mainstream product is aimed at the "average" user who doesn't really know much.) Additionally, it seems like a lot of people, both here, and other places, are of the opinion that SP are over-priced for what you get.

All of mine have been bought second-hand, and I service them myself, that probably makes quite a difference in the buying decision.

I have used the G250 and s600 (smaller and lighter), but really there is not a notable difference for the recreational diving I do. I also dive a Mares MR12-III from the 80s just for fun and it still breaths very well. My alternate seconds are s600s apart from one s360 (I got it cheap new and wanted to check the insides).

A disadvantage of the MK25 for travel is it weight, but again given overall weight of your gear its a minor consideration.

What I continue to hear on this board is that Scuabapro can be services almost anywhere.

I also dive a Mares MR12-III from the 80s just for fun and it still breaths very well.

The Mares MR12-III (III specifically with the metal SS) is the only Mares regulator I like and would use. It was a workhorse and a great regulator to have for dive schools; good performance, reliable and very easy to service.

Scubapro or Atomic, they are the way to go!!

if MK25/G260 is the same price as XTX50/DST, then I'd buy Scubapro. If you can get XTX50/DST in before your trip and that's what you want, then yes. Only way I would consider Hollis is if they were half the price of the Scubapro/Apeks options.

The brand of your regulator makes very little difference. I routinely dive with decades-old regulators that cost well under $100 and I service them myself. I am certain that their performance is on par with anything available today. This is because all regulators do basically the same thing, and they're all very good at it. I use old SP regs, (MK5, 10, D300, 156, pilot) but that's because I know them really well and can service them easily. There are some slight differences in the way some 2nd stages 'feel' while diving, and at great depth, some 1st stages will perform better by having less IP drop under full demand.

But, for example, the differences between the MK17 and MK25 and between the G260 (I guess a descendent of the G250) and the S600 is so small that virtually all divers would never notice anything at all. So save your money, if you decide to go SP get the MK17/G260.

if you decide to go SP get the MK17/G260.

For the recreational diver at all levels, MK17/G260 is a great setup indeed. I would consider the S560 and the S360 (no cracking effort adjustment) second stages with the MK17 also for a slightly lower cost than the MK17/G260 setup. The S560 is a S600 design but slightly different material.

Back
Top Bottom