Another help me pick a regulator thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stay away from the SR1 it had an appalling reputation, years ago my LDS stopped selling due to countless reliability issues. I'd not buy Hollis either, they are on my naughty list, that aside servicing could be a problem. FWIW I'd stick with either Apeks, ScubaPro or Aqualung given your location. I'm an expat kiwi by the way. If you're interested in Apeks message me, I can help. I'd not pay NZs super inflated prices.

Last edited:
Stay away from the SR1 it had an appalling reputation, years ago my LDS stopped selling due to countless reliability issues. I'd not buy Hollis either, they are on my naughty list, that aside servicing could be a problem. FWIW I'd stick with either Apeks, ScubaPro or Aqualung given your location. I'm an expat kiwi by the way. If you're interested in Apeks message me, I can help. I'd not pay NZs super inflated prices.

This is the best advice so far, after my advice of course :)

The best value with best breathing, reliability and pricing is the MK17/c370 combination.

Ok so SR1 off the list, I would be interested to know why Hollis is on your naughty list

Cheapest I can find the mk17 is $800 NZD which is about $585 USD and that's with a c350 second stage

and after quick look at deep6 has sparked my interest, pricing looks within budget and seems to be great gear

I have a number of new and used regulators posted for sale on the forum.

I have ScubaPro, Atomic, and even Deep6.

I'll send you a PM.

Ok so SR1 off the list, I would be interested to know why Hollis is on your naughty list

Cheapest I can find the mk17 is $800 NZD which is about $585 USD and that's with a c350 second stage

and after quick look at deep6 has sparked my interest, pricing looks within budget and seems to be great gear

$800 is ridiculous, even half that is kinda high. Like I said, message me.

Added: just noticed it was with a second stage, $800 is still silly.

Plug:

I could put together a Titan first stage, 2 matching updated G250 second stages all freshly serviced and in excellent cosmetic condition, with almost new braided nylon hoses, 2x LP an 1x BC and a new black face brass and glass SPG with new nylon braided hoses, bolt snaps and bungee necklace landed in NZ for less than that. You'll not find a significantly better performing or reliable reg set regardless of price. I can even supply service kits and manuals should you decide you don't want to get bent over with servicing costs.

wow more great advice, thanks guys.

What about Dive Rite gear, the xt1 first with xt2 second stage? it's not a brand I have heard of before.

I have looked at trademe, but I'm leaning towards new/or near new, would feel a bit more comfortable with gear with little to none unknown history.

Unless you service your self you need to find out what shops will service what, how long to wait for parts etc etc. I'd be sticking with the big boys as commonly found in NZ.

Actually I was digging around the store of the guys I use to service my gear and I found the Dive Rite gear in their tech diving section, so servicing wouldn't be an issue.
Plus the pricing is within my budget.

not to mention all this talk about doing your own reg servicing has made me think I'm on the cusp of starting a new hobby ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom