Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a big fan of SP regs, which are serving me well since 45 years... I am still using my oldest one, a MK5+109 (recently converted to balanced).
The good thing of Scubapro is that they are supported for decades (I still can buy service kits for my regs, built 45 years ago), and the parts are easily available in shops all around the world.
Said, that, I also suggest a set made of a MK17, R195, G260 and SPG. With DIN attachment, of course.

My favourite is Apeks, and XTX50 is all one really needs - even though 100 and 200 seem more compact and route the hoses nicely. My LDC uses Aqualung for training and it works reliably. For the needs you described Titan seems a practical choice. Legend is a bit luxury. I have no experience with SP, but would prefer a sealed reg over a piston.

My 2 cents worth.
1. Look closely at the parts for life and free servicing fine print. If you are late servicing your reg, you may loose this option.
2. If possible, use a few regs before buying - easier said than done.
3. Is the free service/parts coming from the manufacturer or the dive shop? If any of that is from the dive shop, consider the future longevity of the shop if possible.
4. In the event the dive shop closes, are there other shops convenient to service your reg?
5. Factor in servicing frequency schedule after 5 years to keep parts for life. Is it annual or bi-annual? For example, are parts every other year but you have to pay for an inspection each year.
6. Have buddies that dive all three brands and they like them. FWIW, I dive and like Atomics and Dive Rite.
7. $250 AusD is about $160 USD. YMMV but for service only, that seems really high. I just had an AA M1 1st and 2nd serviced. Parts, labor, and a new diaphragm were $115 USD.

Welcome and have fun!

Water temps in Port Phillip Bay certainly seem like 10C in winter... but are actually around 14C during September, the coldest month.
Port Phillip Sea Temperature | September Average | Australia | Sea Temperatures
Chilly enough even in a double layer 7mm suit...

Now regarding regulators... some very good points already raised but my 2BAR:
For piston regulators I am a fan of Atomic Aquatics, well designed and breathe very easily... the AFC feature really does work and their patented second stage seat saver means service intervals can be longer than other brands. I'd look at a Z3, they breathe the same as a T3 for a much more economical price, or a B2 if you want the first stage swivel and more Ti internals in the second stage.
Dive Regulators: The Z2/Z3 Regulator from Atomic Aquatics

HOWEVER... getting Atomic gear serviced in Melbourne can be exorbitant!
I was quoted $300 for a full service on an Atomic Aquatics B2 enviro sealed first and second stage with Z2 octo :eek:
If it was a T2-T3 they wanted another $150... apparently just because everyone expects a Ferrari service to cost more than a Ford!
I note this dive shop has since closed its doors.
This was a major instigator in learning how to service my own gear (bought all the correct tools including the lube repacking tool and I'm STILL in front)... my family has three sets of Atomic gear!
Special Tools for Atomic Aquatics® Regulators

Atomic service costs may have changed with the recent transfer of Australian distributorship from Aquanaut to Australian Underwater Products (AUP) but they insist that:
It is AUP policy that only people associated with a dive store; who have recently attended (within the last 3 years) an accredited service technicians course are eligible to attend the Atomic & Zeagle service course provided by us.
So I don't see that changing... and it will be a major consideration if you want to buy Atomic.

Recently I have bought and serviced two s/h Aqualing Mikron reg sets (orginally for travel regs) and have been impressed with both the advantages of a relatively sealed diaphragm first stage and the compactness and ease of breathing the second stage offers. Exhaust bubbles from such a tiny second stage can be distracting but the impressively small pack-down size outweighs that if you do much dive travel.

So you may like to consider the Aqualung Mikron or the Titan/Legend for a larger 'form factor' with less bubbles past your ears.

Either way, there's some great diving in and around Port Phillip Bay (gotta check out the WW1 subs and Leafy Sea Dragons!) so have fun whichever way you jump on gear choice!

Thanks for all the replies guys! I had a tonne of good info and points to consider - especially @formernuke and @SandyRobinson 's post After weighing everything up, I've narrowed it down to the Mikron or the MK17/G260 or the C370. Tomorrow when the dive shops are open I'll pester them for service quotes, and that will pretty much make my decision. Thanks again to all, and you might see my next post about a good entry dive computer! Apparently restrictions should be eased by May 11th, so fingers crossed the LDS runs a dive!

@Fibonacci - Thanks for the advice mate, good to see that the water temps don't get too chilly :).
Definitely wanna check out those WW1 subs, and that sunken navy ship in half-moon bay. Hopefully whatever I order gets here when lockdown ends...

I love Apeks first stages and love the G260 second stages, my current reg set of choice. Had it, sold it, will one day hopefully get it again. I mix and match.

Back
Top Bottom