Another help me pick a regulator thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrayHunter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi

Just getting back into diving and need some helping picking a regulator, as always money is a factor, compounded by the fact I'm in New Zealand with slightly limited range as well as "healthier" margins equals I having trouble selecting a reg within my budget.

Diving wise, will be mostly recreational to around 20m with the occasional holiday dive to 30m

after a lot of shopping around and review watching I have the following on my list of possibles, the three groups are $450, $500 and $550 NZD (approx $330, $365 and $400 USD)

Hollis 100LX DC3
Scubapro MK2 EVO/R095

Hollis 212 DC1
Sherwood SR1

Mares Prestige 15X
Apeks XTX20 UST

I'm not sure if the last two are worth the extra $100 over the first two, but the 212 and SR1 seem to be worth the extra $50 (from what I gather they are older generation but from a higher price bracket)

I’m not an equipment geek, and am not familiar with most of these regs. I imagine that all would serve you well, and that there is probably very little difference between how well they all operate.

That being said, I suggest in your position you chose the manufacturer which is easiest to get serviced and the most ubiquitous in your region. I suspect this is probably Scubapro (it usually is).

If you like Apeks, there is nothing wrong with the XTX50 and it's less expensive than the XTX200.

I know nothing about the others, but love my AquaLung/Apeks regs.

Scubapro MK2 EVO/R095

Check if the MK11/c370 is available and is within your price range (MK17/c370 is best for all types of recreational diving if within your price range), if not, MK2 with the R195 second stage would be much better than the R095 ss. For octopus, I'd use the R195.

Note: It is the "expected" and the "planned" depth and water conditions, it is the unexpected and the unplanned in these conditions that we worry about and try to be as prepared for them as we can afford.

MK17/C370 and the MK/C370 will be the best in all of the group you mention.

I'd go with a better Scubapro model if you decide on that brand. While MK2's are venerable and safe = classic downstream design that even delivers air if the reg stops functioning - it only has one HP port so if you later go AI with a transmitter and want to add a backup SPG - you can't

One advantage the Apeks might have is it's serviceable worldwide at Aqualung dealers - who at least on our side of the world have extensive dealer networks

Unless you spend another 65$ for a HP splitter. They have them at DGX. Among other regs I have a Hollis 212 with a DC2 1st. All their 1st's are the same function with external variations. I can tell you that you will love the way a 212 breaths. They are super light weight. You can also buy reg kits yourself if you do your own regs.

Thanks for the great advice!

And yes a second HP port would provide greater future flexibility, Looking at computers I have been leaning towards an integrated console - most likely the Aqualung i550, big numbers easy to read ;-) however some of the wrist mount look very good and I can imagine sometime in the future I will wrangle the increased cost into my budget.

So at the moment it seems I'm looking at the Hollis 212 or the Sherwood SR1, and from the reviews I've looked at and your comment Jonny Wishbone I think the 212 is the winner.

The company I use for servicing mentions on their website many different brands but not Hollis. I have sent them a email asking if the see any issues with servicing Hollis. They have been around for 25 years servicing dive gear so I don't expect this to be an issue.

Thanks again for all your help.

Of that list I would go with the Apeks XTX20 UST.

The UST is functionally equivalent to the more expensive Apeks regulators, lacking only an environmental seal for cold or dirty water diving.

The XTX20 is a great breathing balanced regulator. It doesn't have a Venturi adjustment or a "play with me" adjustment knob, but I doubt you will miss them. Otherwise, it too has the same internals as the more expensive Apeks second stages.

The ScubaPro Mk2/R095 is a great bulletproof reg, but it is not the easiest breather at depth. Maybe also consider the Deep6 regulator. The owner is here on ScubaBoard regularly and apparently, they provide really great customer service. As a plus, the regulator comes with it's first service kit. You can either learn to service the reg yourself or give the kit to your local technician.

If it were me, I'd try and find a nice used Apeks XTX50 set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom