Another first regulator thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lovebeard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know you guys love these :cool2:

So, I'm new to diving and have decided I am ready to get my own reg. I currently live in Singapore and have done all of my diving in SEAsia to date. It is likely that I will continue to dive exclusively in tropical conditions for the foreseeable future, but I am originally from California and would continue diving there if I end up moving back(no plans currently). While I don't want to waste money, I can afford to get a regulator setup now that I am happy with, I'd like to keep my gear the same as long as possible, to avoid unnecessary complication and fiddling.

I've read a LOT of threads on the subject, here and elsewhere, along with equipment specs and reviews and I THINK I've narrowed it down to three choices:

Apeks DS4 w/ dual XTX50s
Atomic Aquatics Z2 w/ Z2 octo
HOG D2 1st w/ dual D1 2nds

Because of where I'll be doing my diving I'll likely benefit from yoke over DIN(unfortunately) just to avoid having to use an adapter most of the time.

So the Atomic is a piston whereas the HOG and Apeks are diaphram, AFAIK this isn't really going to be an issue even back in California unless I am diving freezing freshwater?

Also for consideration is that the Atomic seems to be more affordable here than Apeks.

Finally the HOG, while the least expensive initially will need a DIN to Yoke conversion which will likely add to the price. On top of that, only one shop here in Singapore that I know of is carrying HOG at all(they don't show up in the Edge Dealer Locator), while Apeks and Atomic are better represented(albeit not as well as ScubaPro!) and even have authorized dealers/distributors here.

Last, ADEX(Asia Dive Expo) is here in a month, maybe I should just wait for the show and get a regulator there? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

-Jesse

I would buy the one that is the cheapest and that you can get serviced locally. Can't speak to Hog but between Apeks and Atomic you'd be hard pushed to notice the difference. All three would be ok. If you are going to travel dive a lot Apeks might take the lead of the three youve listed now being owned by Aqualung service network should increase. Scubapro probably as the widest world wide dealer network followed very closely by Aqualung. Atomic has a two year service interval, possibly Hog. As far as piston and diaphragm goes unless you are diving cold water this will not be an issue. Personally I dive Apeks and just bought a Z2. Over the years my Apeks have proven to be very reliable, they are very simple regs and I service them myself. Good luck, have fun shopping.

If you are considering HOG but want yoke then go with the Edge Epic. I have both HOG and Edge and I use the Edge 99% of the time. It's a more comfortable setup. Braided hose, swivel, the same performance and yoke.

Thanks for the input guys. I decided to go with Apeks and got my Ds4 and two xtx50s yesterday, can't wait to dive with them next weekend!

-Jesse

Apeks DS4 w/ dual XTX50s
Atomic Aquatics Z2 w/ Z2 octo
HOG D2 1st w/ dual D1 2nds

For me the Atomic one would get rejected because of the piston design. It's simple, it's bulletproof but it's not ideal for cold water in my opinion.

As for the other two, just flip a coin. Either one of those regs will last you a life time if you take care of it.

R..

As much as I like Hog, I believe I've read that there isn't really a Hog presence in Asia / Oceana whatever you refer to that region. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are going to order your service kits and can find someone to do the work... then it would be an option.

I know everyone calls it a cold water kit, but if you do alot of diving in saltwater, you would benefit from an environmentaly sealed reg. It will help reduce the amount of corrosion that builds in the ambient chamber. That being said, Atomic wouldn't be your best choice due to the cost the environmental packing.

I would buy the one that is the cheapest and that you can get serviced locally.

I agree with this, they're all top-notch regulators. Actually it's hard to find a sub-par regulator these days if you stick with the major brands. Ease of service is very important.

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2013 at 07:22 AM ----------

I know everyone calls it a cold water kit, but if you do alot of diving in saltwater, you would benefit from an environmentaly sealed reg. It will help reduce the amount of corrosion that builds in the ambient chamber. That being said, Atomic wouldn't be your best choice due to the cost the environmental packing.

I don't agree with this; as long as you thoroughly soak your reg after salt water diving, you'll keep corrosion out of the ambient chamber. I also believe that atomic has a good environmental seal option; you fill the chamber with PTFE grease and install a boot to keep it in place. Too bad scubapro didn't continue this practice on the later piston firsts.

But I think the OP already bought his apeks so this conversation is really just for fun.

Back
Top Bottom