Announcing the SubGravity H3 - Powered by SeaBear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

please keep in mind that the projected battery life is not "till it goes in the red" but is total battery life until it goes flat.

Understood. But, what I said in my last post was this: 5 days in a row of 2 dives per day. That would be (if like this last trip) 10 hours of diving (over 5 days). I would have expected to be able to get at least 8 hours of diving before going into the red. Going into the red on day 5, somewhere in the 9th or 10th hour (at the earliest). And even that seems like it's being pretty conservative. Would you really expect the battery to last another 5 hours after it hits the red zone?

It is not possible for us to project exactly how long the battery will last for each individual diver or how long the red zone will last before the battery goes flat. There are just too many variables. Length of dives, brightness of OLED screen setting, auto detect/manual etc.

We suggest that once you are in the red zone, that you recharge prior to next use.

I do love the interface in the H3, but without AI, I'll be getting a Shearwater Perdix instead. I'm still hoping that they come through.

I do love the interface in the H3, but without AI, I'll be getting a Shearwater Perdix instead. I'm still hoping that they come through.
I prefer the shearwater UI. The addition of AI to H3 would have made it more attractive even with the smaller screen.. alas, scubapro doesn't seem to be making with the goods. I wonder if there ever really was a transmitter to begin with.

I prefer the shearwater UI. The addition of AI to H3 would have made it more attractive even with the smaller screen.. alas, scubapro doesn't seem to be making with the goods. I wonder if there ever really was a transmitter to begin with.
No idea on if the existence of the transmitter. I do like that wheel and I think that in terms of a flood risk, it may not be all that much of an issue. It would make scrolling through menus so much faster.

That said, Shearwaters screen setup is really nice. That's the dive computer I recommend to students who are not interested in AI.

For those that are, I am not sure what to recommend.

Discussed this computer with Scubapro insiders. There is a lot of activity going on including AI but nothing will be released, announced until DEMA. Given that, they say it will be worth the wait. I realize how vague this response is but at least it defines the waiting time.

I did my first 2 actual deco dives with the H3 over the weekend. That yields some new comments.

- We elected to do our final deco stop at 30', to stay down below some of the surface surge. At 30', the H3 would display a next stop of 20' and a time. There was discussion earlier in the thread about not getting credit for deco time done at a lower depth than what the H3 wants. That was supposedly fixed in the current firmware. I can confirm that it does work, but it does not work in a way that I like all that much. It seems to only update the deco time remaining once per minute.

For example, I got to 30' and stopped. My 30' deco obligation cleared and the computer would change to show (for example) 20', 8:50. I stayed at 30'. After 1 minute (approximately), the display updated to 20', 7:50. Then, after another roughly 1 minute, 20', 6:50, and so forth. Until it got down to something like 20', 2:50. All while I was still hovering at 30'. Then, it went from 2:50 to all deco cleared.

It did this on both dives. On the first deco dive I used EAN50 for deco gas and switched at 70', then ascended per schedule to 30'. On the second dive, I used EAN80 for deco and switched at 30' then just stayed there. But, both dives, the H3 was showing something like 20', 2:50, and after only a minute or so, all the deco cleared.

Maybe there's something about this that makes it have to work this way. But, I would really prefer it if the time shown was updating once per second, and if it displayed the time required at my current depth, rather than at the depth for the next called-for stop.

I also do not understand why the time shown for the deco stop seemed to clear faster than the amount of time shown. E.g. it showed 20', 2:50. I was at 30' and the H3 cleared all deco and it definitely seemed faster than 2:50. But, I didn't actually time it. It definitely did not count down any from 2:50, though. It went from 2:50 to cleared (showing NDT 999) with no jump in between.

- The screen brightness is not very good in some surface conditions. I had OLED Brightness set on 10. Surface conditions on Saturday were bright, but overcast. One of those days with a thin solid layer of clouds, so it was bright out but the light was totally diffuse. No real shadow cast from my body, so I couldn't even turn a certain way on the boat to get the H3 in shadow and read it better. When I went into the menu to change the gas settings, pretty much all I could see on the screen was the currently selected line, which is bright white. All the other normal white lines were too dim for me to see.

In the water, while doing a hang near the surface on Sunday, it was bright enough out that the light from the surface made me have to angle the H3 down, away from the surface, under water, to read it easily.

Overall, I could make it work for me, even in the worst conditions. And the readability is great the rest of the time. So, I don't regret my purchase decision. But, I have to say the readability is far from ideal. Just FYI.

- I fully charged the H3, taking it off the charger Friday morning. With Auto Dive Detection set to On. I dived Saturday and Sunday. 3 dives, total. Probably about 2:30 total time in the water. My second dive on Saturday was pretty short. By the end of my dive on Sunday, the battery was still in the Green, so that's good. Based on history, it would not have surprised me to be in the Yellow by that point.

- During deco, I noticed the box on the screen showing times had changed from being 1 line, to 2. 1 line said: T: <time>. The 2nd line said: S: <time>.

After looking at the manual, I have figured out what happened and what it was showing me. When I ascended to 70', it prompted me to switch gases. I couldn't remember which button to press and there was no prompt on the screen, so tried a long press on the left button. That took me to the main menu with Stopwatch selected, with no choice for Exit. So, I did another long press on the left button, which started the stopwatch, but got me back to the dive screen. I did a long press on the right button to inform the H3 of my gas switch and all was good. But, whatever I did with the stopwatch in the meantime was what caused the display to now show T and S lines.

A prompt on the dive screen indicating to long press on the right button to confirm the gas switch would have saved me all that.

- I dived the H3 for 10 NDL dives in Hawaii week before last. I did have one dive where I accidentally scraped my wrist and H3 across a crusty rock. I thought for sure it would be all scratched up. It turns out there might be a little scratch or two in the bezel, but the sapphire face has no visible marks. Nice.

All in all, I am still very happy with the H3. It would be nice if they would add a way to set it for last deco stop of 30'. But, maybe that wouldn't even really be needed if the stop time displayed would just update once per second and be displayed based on current depth. And figure out some way to make it more readable in bright surface conditions. And, of course, release the AI transmitters.

Scubapro owes you a lot of love. You're a great early adopter.

Scubapro owes you a lot of love. You're a great early adopter.

I'd be happy with a couple of updates to the firmware, and maybe an AI transmitter.... :D

Okay, after re-visiting the manual again, I realize that some of my post about the display during deco was me not paying attention to what it was telling me. Specifically, the number I was interpreting as the time required at the next deco stop was, according to the manual, the TTS (Time To Surface). If the manual is correct, then I was simply not looking closely enough to realize it had a little TTS icon next to that time figure. In that case, it makes sense that that time did not count down to 0 before the deco cleared. If the H3 assumes I will ascend at 30'/min, and I'm hovering at 30', then the TTS should drop to 1:00 when the deco clears.

I have emailed Sub Gravity support to inquire what ascent rate it is actually assuming there. When it said 2:50 and then cleared, it SEEMED like it was quicker than 1:50, but maybe it wasn't.

Now that I've been through that mental exercise, I would have to say that displaying a timer that counts down time left at current depth to clear the current ceiling would be nice. So, where it currently shows ceiling and TTS, it would be nice to see ceiling, TTS, and time remaining for current ceiling. Looking at the manual, if you page to the Deco Schedule page, it tells you the schedule. But the manual doesn't say whether the time at the current stop counts down in real time. It would be nice if it does, and, if so, maybe no changes really need to be made.

Sorry for posting before I really thought the whole experience through and re-visited the manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom