Announcing the SubGravity H3 - Powered by SeaBear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The firmware upgrade supposedly also addresses having your settings wiped out if battery drains down.

I just looked at the latest is still v1.45 (on Sub-Gravity's website, anyway). That is what mine came with. So I guess it doesn't work for saving settings if the battery drains down...

We will be releasing the transmitter this fall in time for DEMA.

This quote is from this post:

Announcing the SubGravity H3 - Powered by SeaBear

If people were held accountable for their vague promises

That quote from Randy doesn't exactly seem like a vague promise, to me. An AI transmitter for the H3, by DEMA 2015, seems pretty specific.

And asking for citations on marketing materials that referenced a transmitter, when he posted on here about it (the above quote) seems a bit, ummm, I don't know. It does come across like whysocold said, to me. Like a vendor trying to CYA. If that's not the reason for the question, then it would sure help if Randy explained why it matters exactly what marketing materials whysocold saw.

H3 transmitters are "sitting in a warehouse waiting to be rebranded"

That particular rumor came from me. One of the owners of my LDS told me that, after DEMA. This particular shop is a little different than most shops I've experienced in that they have a huge inventory and they sell a lot of stuff via the Internet. They seem to have somewhat of an "in" with some of the manufacturer's reps (ScubaPro, for sure, among others) because of the volume of gear they move. Thus, what he said seems credible, to me. That doesn't mean it's true, of course. Nor does it mean that SP will actually release them.

The other owner, from the same shop, told me right before I bought my H3 (from DGX) that they wouldn't get any H3's until June or July. I believe that is because they are getting them from SP. He didn't mention AI, but I am hopeful that SP will release the AI transmitters at the same time.

I'm glad I really did not need a new computer now. Seabear acquisition by Scubapro and the "delay" in releasing the transmitter and AI, Liquivision's atrocious delayed release of the Omnix, announced well before DEMA, release of the Perdix and my eternal hope Shearwater will release an AI version. Very glad my VT3 keeps chugging along, someday, I will get what I want.

I'm just glad I don't need AI for the H3. I had originally resisted buying the H3 until the AI was actually released. That led to me being convinced by the Scubanati to buy a Shearwater. I didn't like the Petrel 2 and I realized that even without AI I still like the H3 better. So, I got it and I like it (though it does need a few improvements). If AI never comes out for it, I guess it won't cause me huge grief. Unless my Atom dies. Then if I can't get AI for my H3, I suppose I will feel pretty screwed over.

But, I am very glad my Atom 3 w/AI keeps chugging along, too!

Last edited:
That quote from Randy doesn't exactly seem like a vague promise, to me. An AI transmitter for the H3, by DEMA 2015, seems pretty specific.

Yeah, well, humans (and other mammals) sprouting wings and flying away after drinking a can of redbull is also pretty specific... but yeah, count me in: I too am glad I don't need a new computer right now.

I bought the Seabear H3 last fall and was intending on buying the AI transmitter when it was released. Having dove with it and a gauge clipped to my hip, I did not miss AI at all.

I can understand people's frustration the transmitter has not been released, but it is still a very good computer, I am happy with mine and no longer have the desire for AI.

Well, I did not get an H-3 precisely because it did not have AI and that was only promised as a future feature. You just can't rely on website advertising (yes AI was advertised as an upcoming feature on the website) and internet forum posts when making a decision like that. Honestly, buying the computer for that purpose is just not a good decision if all you have to go on are expectations set out in ads and forum posts by a distributor, which have no binding affect on the manufacturer or anyone else.

Subgravity is the distributor. Sea Bear is the manufacturer. Once Scubapro bought Sea Bear the AI was, obviously, put on hold if not eliminated. This is not Subgravity's fault, as they are in the middle and probably relied on Sea Bear's intent before the Scubapro acquisition. Awkward for them, to be sure, but I see nothing nefarious about it.

However, Subgravity also needs to come clean about what happened. I don'[t think anyone is owed a refund, though. You knew when you bought it that AI was not on it, and was a future expectation only.

I don'[t think anyone is owed a refund, though. You knew when you bought it that AI was not on it, and was a future expectation only.

They certainly don't have any legal obligation to give anyone a refund. But, if I were trying to sell you a product and you bought it because I told you "feature XYZ IS coming out by DEMA" and then feature XYZ did not come out, I would feel like the right thing for me to do would be to give you a full refund, if you wanted one, and take the product back if feature XYZ didn't come out. But that's just me.

I still don't think a "full refund" is warranted. A person buys a computer and uses it over many months and many dives. It has been useful and functional for them without the feature that they knew it didn't have, and which they had no "right" to, only an expectation. It is, still, a perfectly fine computer. I just don't see that as a reasonable demand and I do not fault Subgravity in the slightest for not doing it. The owner can sell it on for a reasonable used price, which is all they can expect.

Early adopters take their chances. And to early adopt a model that is missing a feature of such importance? Knowing that it would be a long time before implementation? Sea Bear could have gone out of business, or any number of other things could have happened to them. I chose not to risk my hard earned $$$ this way, as could anyone else. My trusty Galileo Sol is doing fine. I can wait.

Still, it's a black eye for Subgravity, who over-promised by trusting the manufacturer, when they did not have the actual power to deliver. I am sure they are paying in lost sales, and lost trust as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom