Angry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba.com is notorious for this. I know several people who won't do business with them because they do this. In my opinion it is just plain wrong to charge someone for a produce that you don't have to give to them. If you hadn't paid for ovwenight, you they wouldn't have notified you of the back order until the day it was scheduled to arrive. And then the back order date might get further away as it approached.

Yesterday I went to the hardware store to buy some peat moss. She looked it up in the computer and it showed 5 bales in stock. I paid her and drove around back to pick it up. Guess what? No peat moss.

Here is my point, inventory databases (especially for retailers) are almost never 100% accurate. It is unrealistic to expect the online retailer to verify stock physically before taking your order. They weren't ignoring you or intentionally waiting to contact you, it probably just took the process that amount of time before the warehouse guy went around to pull your item and "oops" the computer says it is there, but it is not. Everything before that got processed on the assumption it was there.

I have ordered from Scuba.com and ScubaToys and have had great luck with both. Cut them a little slack.

We use a slightly different method. An order is never charged unless the product is in the box ready to go out. It's true that at times, it's a pain for us, we have gathered up an order, assembled and tested the reg (if it's a reg) written down all the testing data in a log (IP, crack pressures, etc) packaged and boxed everything, weigh the box, determine the shipping charges are accurate - then we run the card. So if the card does not go through at that time, we have to pull that gear to the side until we can get a new one from the customer.... but it seldom happens so it's not much of an issue.

It's not necessarily the fault of a retailer to run out of stock of an item - we've had it happen, but I would not agree with not contacting a customer who specified rush shipping, much less charging a credit card before the product was ready to go.

Waiting until right before the dives to order is your fault....
Brandon Belew:
They shouldn't advertise the products as "In Stock" if they are back ordered. Especially if they are back ordered for 5 months!
But yeah, this does suck. I'd demand they ship overnight, Sat delivery, but charge me for ground shipping - and dispute the card charge if they didn't do it.

I ordered a case of coffee liqueur for ground shipping from NJ, got a notice they were out of stock - so had my daughter pick up one for me in Lubbock, then another that it had shipped. :silly: Caca happens, and now I have enough Kamora to last months.

Morale of story: DO plan ahead and DO research your provider! If you waited two or three days before a dive to order off internet from out of state vendor and expected overnight delivery there's not much sympathy. Delivery service fine print will probably say: Overnight delivery except on weekends.

Dandydon...... waiting until last minute is wrong thats agreeable, but...... back order until October for something I order today........ and charging my credit card in advance for it is not right.
I guess Scuba.com is not aware how many ppl read this post............lol :)

I have used Sucba.com for many purchases. They have always treated me great and deliver as promised. When ever I order via a website, I ALWAYS follow up with a phone call to get the real scoop. So far so good! I would order from them again and would recommend them to anyone without hesitation.

Had the OP made a call or planed a little better he would not be slamming this shop.

Dave

This is a problem with scuba.com. I've had the same situation although I left if for ten days before contacting them to find out why the order hadn't shipped. There seems to be no process for informing/contacting customers to keep them informed.

On the other hand, when I called them they had access to all the order information, were able to change it and I payed a little more for rush shipping to get the order in time for my trip.

Was I happy at the time? No. Did I go diving and forget about it? Yes. I've just learnt that if I need stuff quickly (and my closest store is 70 miles away) I phone the company. If you want personal service, call a dive shop with an online presence, there are plenty of good ones.

Harshal:
and charging my credit card in advance for it is not right.
I guess Scuba.com is not aware how many ppl read this post............lol :)

I don't have a dog in this fight, but as an x-retailer, I hate to see any reputable and good online retailer get slammed for something that is not a good reason. So what if they charged your credit card? Was it a debit card where the money came out of your account? If it was a credit card, you wouldn't even owe anything for it until a couple of weeks after your last statement. and that is plenty of time to credit the account before you have any out of pocket costs.

Like I said, I have had very positive experiences with scuba.com and scubatoys. Be careful how you sling the mud around and damage someone's business.

"I never plan anything far in advance..."

guess that says it all

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom