Andy's vs FifthD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Andy's with undergarments - $1700 (estimate)
FifthD with undergarments - $2100 (estimate)

FifthD is an Andy's suit with Andrew G.'s zipper mods and a forearm dump instead of a standard shoulder dump. Anyone have any inkling which would be better? I am leaning toward Andy's at the moment...

Thanks

Hmm...which Fifth D suit were you quoting. That's steeper than I priced em' out unless the undies you figured in were REAL expensive.:confused:

That was the FifthD 1000 suit at $1700 and I figured a few hundred for undergarments...I wanted to get the Andy's 140 undergarments...maybe they are cheaper than that...dunno, was being conservative and including shipping since the Andy's I can get locally (no shipping).

O-ring once bubbled...
That was the FifthD 1000 suit at $1700 and I figured a few hundred for undergarments...I wanted to get the Andy's 140 undergarments...maybe they are cheaper than that...dunno, was being conservative and including shipping since the Andy's I can get locally (no shipping).
OK, so you were looking at the super heavy duty top o' the line 1000 then. I guess I didn't even price that one out as the 750 seemed plenty rugged. That makes sense then.:wink:

Which one would you guys recommend?

... if I were to get another suit it would be the mid-weight fabric 5thD... with pockets, forearm dump, shortened zipper... but then I live out here... if I lived where you do I would take my Andy's in and have Andy fix all the stuff that is falling apart.

Lucky for me, Andy is speaking at our meeting next week and letting us all try on his new undergarments! I will just ask him about the two suits then and see what he and others think. I like the forearm dump and the zipper makes sense, I just don't know if it makes that much sense...

Then again, with the midweight suit, we are talking apples to apples pretty much...the prices should about equal out.

if I lived where you do I would take my Andy's in and have Andy fix all the stuff that is falling apart

You mean with your current Andy's? I assume the Andy's and FifthD suits durability will be about the same since they are pretty much the same suit...

O-ring once bubbled...
You mean with your current Andy's? I assume the Andy's and FifthD suits durability will be about the same since they are pretty much the same suit...
On both counts....
My Andy's DS3 developed some minor problems right out of the box but I never could afford to be without it long enough to send it back east for repair... one of the boots developed a crack that I have finally been able to staunch with Agua Seal after months of trying and within 8 months I had to replace the neck seal...

I still like the suit and have since purchased another drysuit so I could send the Andy's in for fixin... I just haven't gotten around to it... it is so much easier to have it done locally. Which in you case involves having it done at Andy's.

So for you... I would say, ask Andy: if you buy the 5thD suit can you just bring it in to him for warranty work... or do you have to ship it to Kent, WA. for them to ship to Andy for him to fix and ship to Kent, WA. for them to ship to you?

I compared the two suits head to head and you and GP are right...I was mismatching them. The Andy's I was looking at is the DS3 in extreme nylon, which looks like the same material as the FifthD 750.

Stacking them up equally, it looks like this:

Andy's DS3 with undergarments - $1700 (estimate)
FifthD 750 withOUT undergarments - $1500

Hmmm...still have to think on this one...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom