American airline troubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a friend who works for the airlines. ITs not bad weather. Its employees having freedom flu. FYI

I have a friend who works for the airlines. ITs not bad weather. Its employees having freedom flu. FYI
Why is this more prevalent on AA than on other airlines?

American has a major hub in Dallas. The winds were so bad over the weekend that only 2 (of 5) runways were operating at times. This put a severe backlog on American's ability to move planes in/out, and also move flight crews in/out.
Aircraft will normally take-off into the wind. Therefore, airports will only operate runways which have a headwind, and will not use runways with a cross wind. The bigger the crosswind component, the more dangerous Takeoffs and Landings become. Depending on the direction of the wind (if it was out of the North West), there is a good chance that only Runways 31L/13R and 31R/13L were able to be safely used, leaving the other runways non-operational until the direction of the wind changed to a more North/South direction.

airport_4-8.jpg

The airlines (not just AA) are having very tight scheduling issues. Labor is in short supply and many workers have left the workforce since the start of the pandemic. FAA licenced employees (pilots, mechanics & dispatchers) are in short supply have a relatively lengthy training time from hiring to deploying. Many other frontline positions also in short supply due to competition from many other industries.
The airlines want to fly and the public want to fly also. This has led them to schedule as many flights as possible and unfortunately they seemed to have misjudged the reserve margins needed / actually available to account for any disruptions. The downside is when there is a disruption it causes cascading failures system wide.
First it was SW then several weeks later it was AA's turn, I suspect but for the grace of God United or Delta could also have been / be in a similar situation.
AA (and it's owned regional airlines) has offered it's front line workers $1K in bonus money split into two $500 pieces if they have perfect attendance over Thanksgiving and Xmas.

And AA pilots turned it down:)

Just want to weigh in with our most recent experience. We flew AA November 8-16 with no cancellations and no delays.

I can't remember if it was here that I read it is good to schedule travel so that it is NOT at the beginning/end of the month, but perhaps that is what accounts for our trouble-free flying?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom