Am i going insane or how many tanks you need :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, I only have 4 tanks (2 HP 100's, 1 HP 119, 1 LP 108). I feel very "little". I better buy some more (and help the economy).

I'm currently in a similar situation:

2 x HP100s
2 x LP112s (or 108s if they didn't say OMS on them)

I use the 100s for boat diving and rough entries like Monastery, the 112s for easy shore entries, or if I need a lot of gas (@ 3500 PSI, I've got about 149 cu.ft.) and am going on a long, fast swim. I bought the 112s used and was given the 100s shortly after (had to replace one valve and VIP them), as the owner was tired of changing weights between the Asahis and his PSTs.

Next up, a set of HP100 or LP85 doubles for Fundies, if I can't borrow/rent some. My current 100s are Asahis, and those suckers are each 12.5 lb./5 lb. negative full/empty, and have the 7/8" tilted-up valves which I dislike. I'm not doubling them up unless forced to by poverty, although they do have right and left modular valves so all I need to find is the appropriate crossbar. Then I'll have to start acquiring deco tanks and an argon tank post Fundies, on the way to Tech 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat62
<snip>

The 85s are my latest addition and are just sitting there with a few hundred pounds each, anxiously awaiting the purchase of some 7" bands and a manifold. I picked up the set used for under $200, and they're in decent enough shape to make for some good introductory doubles.
04.gif

Did you pick those up at the Wallin's sale?

Guy

Wow...I'm up to:

2x LP95s (main tanks)
2x AL80s (backup/handoff tanks)
1x AL40 (Pony bottle)
1x HP120 (in Hydro right now, that's becoming my Nitrox tank after I take the course)

Not too bad for a single guy living in an apartment. I need to hurry up and find a pair of steel tanks that would be suitable for backup duty, I hate AL80s.

Peace,
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepcat62
<snip>

The 85s are my latest addition and are just sitting there with a few hundred pounds each, anxiously awaiting the purchase of some 7" bands and a manifold. I picked up the set used for under $200, and they're in decent enough shape to make for some good introductory doubles.
04.gif

Did you pick those up at the Wallin's sale?

Guy

Indeed I did. :)

Just FYI,those tanks are not 85 but rather 77.2 fabers @ 2640. they were only manufactured for scubapro. however they are best for "Shore" doubles they each -2/-7 negative empty/full and do not require too much weight. YOu will need 7" bands from Piranha mfg $77 a set and set of valves. i found these awesome valves on ebay item: 220458841658 try best offer i bought 4 for 100 each. they are new/old stock thermo valves made in Japan.
On unrelated note if some one has 120 worthingtons ond/or Faber LP 45 for sale trade i would love to hear from you :)

Just FYI,those tanks are not 85 but rather 77.2 fabers @ 2640. they were only manufactured for scubapro. however they are best for "Shore" doubles they each -2/-7 negative empty/full and do not require too much weight.

Interesting! If I might ask, how did you determine that? Is there a place to look that up via serial number or something else? They were definitely listed as 85s...

Having said that, the weighting characteristics you quoted are a bit better (in terms of weight belt) than what I was expecting (neutral empty), so that's nice if correct. Thanks for the tip on the valves, btw!

now I feel as better about my collection. I have 6 steel 72's and 6 al 80's. I do alot of local lake diving and week long trips to lake powell and renting a tank for a whole week for just one dive was way too expensive. plus I live over 1 1/2 hours from closest dive shop so grabbing a tank for the afternoon just isn't an option. and best of all, all of my tanks were initial cost of free or close to it!:D all I had to do was hydro and VIP. way cheaper than renting a tank for a week at a time!!! And much much more convienant!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom