Aluminum 80s versus larger steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Mike and CV Chief, can't we just make up? I like you both, and even Mossman a little! I hereby openly admit that some people don't like HP Steel Tanks End of story?

Dave

Will there be a margarita involved? If so, I am in.

Which reminds me, I will be starting a new thread to discuss average margarita consumption. I believe the average visitor can reach 5. 3 if at Kinta (which are sort of the 120 steels of Coz Margaritas.)

I think that in Cozumel a lot of diver’s who are not ‘expert’ class achieve SAC (RMV) rates that are near or below 0.5 CF/MIN. Typically if the visibility is good and the water is warm and you are not working against a current, like in Cozumel, we are jellyfish floating WITH the current and the typical diver achieves a lower than ‘average’ SAC rate. As this thread has unfolded I went back and checked my previous logs (rather basic until recently) and found that once comfortable, trimmed and relaxed I achieved a decent ‘SAC’ rate in the lower 0.4’s, same environment with a sling for lion fish, add 10%. It’s natural, as you add task loading (physical or mental) your air consumption increases. I normally have company at the end of my dives so I do not think I am anywhere near expert. Several weeks back I did the invasion to Roatan and for the first time I did moored buoy diving, as opposed to Mexico drift diving, and while I expected my SAC to increase, due to spending half the dive against the light currents it basically matched my lion fish rates in the mid 0.4’s, I did not have to expend energy to keep warm, the water was clear and I was not worried about time as the dive was timed as opposed to gas limited.
Here is the other thing everyone dances around: there are a lot of homemade rules to cover the worst case scenario when diving because we do not want to see another diver perish, ever. The minimum gas reserve is not set into stone and is variable to the conditions. In clear warm water drift dive with high visibility, with a SMB AND a boat captain you personally trust, why would you exit with 500-700 PSI? For most of the early history of diving, I believe the standard was 300 PSI and up (J valves) and this was from depths at 100+. In cold green water, stressful diving, I get it: rock bottom or at least 700 PSI exit, but in the real world it is not one size fits all.
I am thankful I have found a dive op that allows me to ‘Dive my Tank’ which are code words for ‘satisfy your safety stop and then tail out the tank at 25 ft. or less for an extended bottom time’ as opposed to the up and out business model , so they can setup the next dive trip. In these conditions on the tail out, it becomes a glorified snorkeling trip, and the total dive time not only extends but you see some amazing things while doing the zombie drift dive (with an SMB for safety) at 25’ and the gas consumption is minimal.
There are dives I would like to try a 120, like a loin fish hunt a Chun-Chacaab, with EAN 36. But unless everyone else matches the profile, what’s the point?
Gary

Here is the other thing everyone dances around: there are a lot of homemade rules to cover the worst case scenario when diving because we do not want to see another diver perish, ever. The minimum gas reserve is not set into stone and is variable to the conditions. In clear warm water drift dive with high visibility, with a SMB AND a boat captain you personally trust, why would you exit with 500-700 PSI? For most of the early history of diving, I believe the standard was 300 PSI and up (J valves) and this was from depths at 100+. In cold green water, stressful diving, I get it: rock bottom or at least 700 PSI exit, but in the real world it is not one size fits all.
Speak for yourself. Some of us may want to see other divers perish. It makes us feel better about ourselves for staying alive, helps prevent boat overcrowding, adds a little excitement to what may otherwise be just another day of diving, etc.

I usually start my ascent to the safety stop around 350-400 psi, unless I have a deco obligation and want to be conservative. That always puts me back on the boat with 250 or so, plenty to keep water from backing up into my reg which is all I care about.

I'm not sure why you feel you need an SMB and a trustworthy captain in order to drain your tank. At least for me, when I'm on the surface, there's very little reason I would want to descend again. Probably the only reason would be if a boat is bearing directly at me and I can't wave them off. But that doesn't require 500 psi - a breath hold would do it. I have no idea who the boat captain is. For all I know he may be a sadistic psychopath who runs over divers with drained tanks and no SMB. Why would I trust him?

---------- Post added May 13th, 2014 at 02:49 PM ----------

Now that is just crude. Please, Garth....

Not sure why it's crude. Everyone knows that a boner is just a mistake. Heck, even I've felt that way at times.

Will there be a margarita involved? If so, I am in.

Which reminds me, I will be starting a new thread to discuss average margarita consumption. I believe the average visitor can reach 5. 3 if at Kinta (which are sort of the 120 steels of Coz Margaritas.)

I used to stay at the Coral Princess. Back then, two happy hour margaritas would be all most people could handle. We did three (three drinks each, not 3 2-for-1s totaling 6 drinks each) over an hour once and didn't go to dinner--and our SAC for margaritas is pretty high. I hope they are still making them that way there.

Dear Mike and CV Chief, can't we just make up? I like you both, and even Mossman a little! I hereby openly admit that some people don't like HP Steel Tanks End of story?

Dave

Don't tell anyone I said this, I will deny it if anyone asks, but Mossman is really not a bad guy - he just likes to play one on Scubaboard.

Mossman, I believe my boat captain is Jeremy’s ex-boat captain Chan-Fran, who you probably have dived with. He is good but I also believe it is a courtesy to those on the surface to launch a solid SBM that can be tracked while the boat is drifting and picking up other divers on the tail end, the actual subsurface current and surface wind drift are often divergent.
All BS aside no-one wants anyone other than possibly ex (to be) -spouses (and Go-Pros have screwed that up) to perish, ever.

One thing I am going to do differently on my upcoming trip is to no longer fight the current to go have a look at a critter a fellow diver or dive master finds. If I miss it I miss it.

Gaffer

Don't tell anyone I said this, I will deny it if anyone asks, but Mossman is really not a bad guy - he just likes to play one on Scubaboard.
This is outright slander. Where's a moderator when you need 'em?

This is outright slander. Where's a moderator when you need 'em?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Heh. It's been my experience that sometimes members' board personas differ substantially from how they are in real life...sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. We still try to moderate them for what they say here that is unfriendly, off-topic or whatever. I am leaving this one alone unless it drags the thread wildly off topic regarding AL80 versus bigger steel tanks.....in which case I would likely do another thread split. And I DO think there has been an interesting discussion here that wouldn't have occurred if it had been buried in an off-topic discussion in another thread. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Heh. It's been my experience that sometimes members' board personas differ substantially from how they are in real life...sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. We still try to moderate them for what they say here that is unfriendly, off-topic or whatever. I am leaving this one alone unless it drags the thread wildly off topic regarding AL80 versus bigger steel tanks.....in which case I would likely do another thread split. And I DO think there has been an interesting discussion here that wouldn't have occurred if it had been buried in an off-topic discussion in another thread. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Ummmm MMM - I think you missed the joke here - nothing unfriendly - just banter understood by both parties

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom