Aluminum 80 Cost - Is this reasonable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"They said they will not fill without a VIP, and that one must be done WHENEVER the valve is removed, even if it is dry-plugged. I dive every other weekend, 2 dives each Sat & Sun, so I actually will need to buy 2 tanks, becuase the dive sites here are nowhere near compressors."

Just a thought but an aluminum 80 does not need a VIP every time the valve is removed--why--and if you remove the valve and then reinstall it yourself which is about as easy as boiling water (actually easier) how would they know anyway? I change my valves around and even flip from double to single etc and never get a new VIP and no problems doing so. N

Since it's a self regulated industry I would think that any time a cynder goes to atmophere the posiblity of contamination exists and a fill station could require inspection prior to filling. Is it Safety, CYA or revenue driven, you can decide.

Pete

Nemrod:
Just a thought but an aluminum 80 does not need a VIP every time the valve is removed--why--and if you remove the valve and then reinstall it yourself which is about as easy as boiling water (actually easier) how would they know anyway? I change my valves around and even flip from double to single etc and never get a new VIP and no problems doing so. N
I know that the online vendor is selling the tank with a VIP sticker but what is that worth? How much trust should the shop be expected to put in the shipping process and in the consumer? I've worked in a number of dive shops and can tell you that, at least around here, it's standard procedure to VIP all new cylinders before they are delivered to customers - no exceptions. From that perspective, I'd say the shop is exercising reasonable precautions by not honoring a dubious VIP.

My guess is that you are known to your local shop and that they trust you to work on your own tanks carefully and to address any issues you find before you ask them to fill your tanks. It sounds to me like that relationship doesn't exist in this instance. We're only getting one side of this story and that's always dangerous, but would you trust a hostile DMC (who knows what, exactly, about VIP procedures) to decide that it's okay to fill a tank?

Joel was right, this guy has a bunch of issues with his shop that he should resolve before he proceeds with his DM training. The lack of trust and respect he is showing may be deserved but if so, he should be going elsewhere for his training and purchases.

I don't mean to sound like I don't respect them. I really like everyone at the shop, they're really nice to me all he time. The only problem I have is with their monopolistic pricing. (example: I bought a Seaquest Pro QD+ for about $480 from a LDS in New Jersey, the San Antonio LDS wants close to $700). If I do my DM, I will eventually get a discount that will make the prices equivalent to any other shop's normal pricing. This would be awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I've bought tons of stuff from the San Antonio LDS, not to mention blowing close to $800 on just mask, fins, & boots. I've got a great relationship with them and perhaps "screwing me" was a little harsh. I'm not sure if they need to charge what they do, or if they do it becuase they can.

I usually never even think twice about their pricing - UWATEC compass for $100? sure, I'll take it. 2 lbs soft weights for $12? sure. I have nothing but respect for my local shop, I am out there every weekend diving with them.

The DM class is going to cost me close to $1000, so I'm just trying to save wherever I can.

I'll buy from the LDS. It ends up being a better deal in the long run.

Thanks for everyone's input. I will comit to my shop.
Can anyone tell me how to close a thread?

staticcornflake:
I've bought tons of stuff from the San Antonio LDS, not to mention blowing close to $800 on just mask, fins, & boots.

How do you spend almost $800 on mask, fins, and boots? Did they at least throw in a free snorkel and a kiss????

I think I just ran out of O2, sitting at my desk! I just can't imagine what models you bought that would come anywhere close to that. $6 per lb for weights?

I'm liking my LDS better every time I look at this thread. And I already liked them a lot to start with...

Buying the tanks tomorrow.

Soft weights

No kiss. $300 mares plana avanti quattro, $200 tilos w/ purge, $100 boots, $50 dry snorkel, Knife, $80, +Tax.

I'm not bitter, just don't understand why they still overcharge me after all the money I've spent.

Mkae your own soft weights. Pouches are here for $2.95 each:

http://www.diversdiscount.com/resources/frameset-search.asp

Search for "weight pouch"

These use a dual velcro closure. Go to a local gun store & buy a bag of shot for loading shotshells & fill the pouches.

staticcornflake:
I'm not bitter, just don't understand why they still overcharge me after all the money I've spent.

Ok i work for a LDS in ohio. Ok first we don't over charge for anything the prices are set by the companies and that is what we sell them for. Second if you know anything about bisness there is always an overhead and that is what we need to charge for. I need to be paid the lights need to be on the compressor needs to run and etc...
So next time you want a deal go to Scubatoys or LP Because the big companies like Scubapro , Aqualung etc are after them to shut them down

So Have a Coke and a Smile and be Happy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom