Aluminum 80 Cost - Is this reasonable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might as well at least ask what he does on nitrox. If free air for a year means free $7 fills, once you start diving nitrox will he sell you fills for $14?

Talk about a bad case of bunga-bunga, damn! If fills cost that much around here I think I'd have to take out a loan & set up my own fill station, complete with O2 & the extras for nitrox fills.

rapidiver:
World Water's fill prices are great. We'll never see that in N.E.

Suspicious me... How can they keep those prices? It's below self cost line for keeping a compressor running over time.

Well, it looks like he's got a firm grip on the local market and is taking full advantage of it. So I guess you need to just run some numbers on your options after you shop around a bit more. I suspect you may be able to do better than this deal, especially since you spend the summer in NJ and need to be able to support two tank dives. With SA being the diving meca that it is, why don't you shop around in the areas you dive for better deals.

Gee, my fills are $8 (only LDS in town). $6.50 each if you get a 25 fill card. I think the size of the location (and vicinity to water) greatly impact the price for fills. Competition also is going to be a factor as well. I also know that an AL80 is going to run about $180 here and I don't think that will come with any fills. I did get 5 free fills with my LP95 that I just purchased.

I live on Oahu and just bought 2 AL80 tanks at a cost of $155 each. Where in San Antonio do you live because there are at least 5 if not 6 LDSs in and close around (Universal City) San Antonio.

You must be going to the LDS on route 4.

Such a deal. How many tank fills will you get in one year?

Bet not enough to make it worth the money you will pay for the tanks.

I left Jersey just so I did not have to pay high prices for scuba gear.

My LDS says that the year of free air can't be put towards Nitrox, and the big problem is that even if I drive up to Larry in Dallas or buy tanks in NJ during the summer, I'm still going to need to get my majority of fills at the San Antonio LDS, I'm not gonna drive 45 minuters to Universal city for a fill. Also, I'm about to start my Dive Master, and am gonna need a ton of air. It's my understanding that shops will usually provide DM candidtates with free or reduced price fills/rentals - but not mine! They're nice people, but they're the only ones within 45 minutes so they can charge what they want and they know it.

Jeez.. this guy's got a "monopoly" on tanks and air fills, since he owns the only two stores around. Sounds like you're screwed either way.

Looks like that Scuba Toys is about 5 hours drive away from you in San Antonio. If you're buying two tanks, you'll save about $160. That'll more than cover your gasoline for a long road trip. Or just buy from any other shop around though you might have to drive a couple hours. Driving to another shop might be a pain,
but it'll save you $40 bucks on the visual he'll charge if the tank is empty.
You only have to do this one time.

I've never in my life seen an AL80 priced at $200 before.

$20 for a VIP is a rip off also. Big time. most shops charge $5 to $10, with a few in monopoly locations charging $15.

If you do buy tanks locally for $200 each, check the original hdyro date. Chances are that at $200 a tank, they've been sitting there a while and are a couple years old.
This is pretty common in shops that overcharge for tanks, because of their high prices, they hardly ever sell tanks, so then they get several years old and out of hydro before you know it.

BTW... I bought new tanks at Worldwide-Watersports in Key Largo for $99 each, including VIP and airfill.

If you're willing to spend $200 for an Alum 80. I'll sell you every one I've got for that.

Surely there's more than just 2 dive shops in San Antonio? (since you said the two within 30 minutes of your house were both owned by the same person)

staticcornflake:
They said they will not fill without a VIP, and that one must be done WHENEVER the valve is removed, even if it is dry-plugged.
Ah, screw the valve back on before you have it filled.

Back
Top Bottom