Aluminum 80 Cost - Is this reasonable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staticcornflake:
I live in Texas during the school year and Jersey during the summer. I suppose I could buy an 80 for less in NJ, but when I dive the rest of the year in TX(whose prices are quoted above), I would need to get it to Texas first, which would involve taking off the valve and going through a VIP and rip-off fills. There are 2 LDS's within 30 minutes of my house, bother of which are owned and operated by the same guy. Pretty much a monopoly.
Jesse, I have 2 words for you.....ROAD TRIP!!!!! Take a weekend run up to see Larry and buy the tank from him. The money you save will buy your gas for the roadtrip, with some left over for beer.
C-Dawg

rapidiver:
World Water's fill prices are great. We'll never see that in N.E.

There are many places that charge only $3 - 5. The only problem with World Watersports is that they're a little light on the fill... My last fill from them was only 2850 psi. I'd easily pay an extra dollar to get 3300.

staticcornflake:
Hey Everyone:

My LDS sells 80's for $200+tax each, which includes VIP and 1 year of free fills.
Alternativly, I could order one from ScubaToys for $124 with tax and shipping still being less than my LDS. Some potential problems are:

1. Even if Scubatoys does a VIP and takes off the valve, an dplugs it up, my LDS will still require another VIP for $20.

2. My LDS charges $7 a fill if you don't buy from them.

At first it seems obvious that the free air would more than pay for itself, but after a year I'll be paying $7/fill anyway.

What do you think I should do? Any advice would be great!

It's actually not a bad deal at all.

If it is a Luxfer cylinder with Thermo valve that would put it in the $145 price range. Charging seperate for a VIP is a rip since its a brand new tank so they probably include it. A typical 10 fill air fill card is $50-60 depending on where you go.

So you are getting a new tank with vip and a years worth of fills for $200 ... it's a bargain. Just make sure you do at LEAST 10 fills and you are golden.

Supporting your local dive center is always a good choice.

Cheers

Fills are 5 bucks at my lds. I've never taken a tank in half full. I help out with so many pool sessions that anything under 1500 or so gets used for that. As a result helping out with them means I've not paid for air fills since last year. Still pay for nitrox but that's only 10 bucks. I still watch what I use it for tho. I've got two pst steel 80's which were 200 each incl tax & shipping. They are nitrox only. My three 72's are for air and I use them with classes and pool work. If you use more than 10 fills a year the free fills doesn't sound so bad. Read the fine print tho. Is there a limit on how many you use in a year. I try to dive every other weekend when possible this means 6-8good dives per weekend. at 2 dives per tank if doing classes that would be 3-4 tanks every other weekend times 20 on the low side not figuring using them for pool that's 60-80 fills in a year. Not a bad deal. even so it's not unusual for me to go thru 3 tanks min on a weekend. How many others I wonder do 3-5 dives a day on here? Cause it seems like two is the norm. Yesterday I did two(one multilevel to 90 total time about 1hr and another along the dam wall that was about 1:15 but that was shallower only 47 max depth. only used 1 tank for those two. That's the first time I've ever done that few in a day since my ow cert.

His fill prices are high. I get air for $3.50, nitrox for $8.00. Other shops run $4.00 for air & $10.00 for nitrox. $7.00 for air is high.

Now, $200 for an AL80 is bloody high. But, if you're diving at all, a year's worth of fills does make it potentially worthy. Here I pay $135 for an AL80, with VIP/boot/air fill. So that makes your guy get a $65 fee for air, in comparison. That takes 10 fills @ $7 each to break even, any more & you're coming out ahead.

Here, it would take 19 fills to cover the difference. I rarely dive air, so unless the deal inculded a discount of sorts on nitrox it would do me no good at all.

I guess I'll go with the local LDS becuase I will definatly use more than 10 fills. If I don't they'll treat me like crap and give me low fills, anyway.

I hadn't thought about Nitrox but I've looked into it and am taking the class next month. I'm assuming once I go Nitrox I won't want to go back to air, so the year of free air will be useless.

Here's the kicker: My LDS price for 80cf of EAN36 = $20

Ouch! Ask if he gives you a cigarette afterwards :)

Back
Top Bottom