Aluminum 40's - Maui and Kauai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken T

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

My wife and I will be on Maui for a week and Kauai for a week in early Feb.

My wife thinks she would like to shore dive sidemount style with Aluminum 40's.

Is there any companies that rent Aluminum 40's?

A quick forum search indicates that B&B Scuba on Maui might have the greater selection of rental tanks.
I'll be emailing them directly - but thought I should ask for advice here as well.

Thanks,
Ken

---------- Post added January 27th, 2014 at 02:14 PM ----------

Heard back from B&B on Maui - no go for Aluminum 40's.

Seems to be lots of places renting Alum 63's - so we'll probably go with those.

Cheers!

I don't think I have ever heard of Aluminum 40's here on Maui.... B&B does rent out Aluminum 50's though. Would they work?

If you don't mind my asking, Why sidemount from shore? Seems like it would be quite a task to enter/exit the water. Do you have some sites in mind? Most are a fairly decent walk from parking to the water too. I can't say I have ever seen anyone doing a sidemount dive here on the shore and I do a LOT OF SHORE DIVING! :D

My wife does not like the weight of the tank on her back.

Also, we like the idea of the redundant air supply.
Usually not a problem on a shallow shore dive I know.

Mostly to keep up our sidemount skills, although we may end up slinging one tank on the side if shore entry is going to be problematic.
Since we are used to mountain lake diving…no surf.

We’ll start with Ulua beach, since we have only been pool diving since November.

Then maybe Wailea beach.

Makena Landing – not sure of the shore access from the cemetery, might just try from the beach.

Probably snorkel or dive Kamaole II/III since we are staying right across from them.

We move up to Lahaina after about a week and we will try Mala Warf, maybe Black Rock if I can figure out public parking, Kapalua Bay, etc...

Kind of lousy goosy, my wife also wants to do other things like surfing, shopping, road to Hana, etc…

Not sure why with all these places to dive.:confused:

Most Al 40's are going to be DIN. Don't know if that's a problem to you or not.

All our regs are DIN.

We'll be bringing DIN to yoke adaptors, four of them, since we will probably have the opposite problem of not finding DIN valves.

Cheers!

We have taken a lady scooter diving with a side mount and she did great. I thought she would have balance issues but it actually looked easy.

Greg Walker
Maui Scooter Divers
www.mauiscooterdivers.com

Back
Top Bottom