Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
B

Baxe15

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was recently gifted 2 Aluminum 100s. I already have 1 Steel 100 and usually rent Steel 100s when I need more tanks. I am getting into Megalodon Teeth diving which is anywhere from 80-110 ft deep. All my tanks, including the new Aluminum 100s are set up for DIN valves (I dive DIN). Does anyone have experience diving at these depths with Aluminum 100s? I know the physical size and buoyancy factors are different, was just curious on anyones personal experience with these tanks. I would like to use them, its not everyday you get tanks for free!

They suck compared to steel. They are more buoyant and just a pain. I had two for several years and loved them for long beach dives, never realized how much nicer big steel tanks are (until I got some).

Certainly you can use them, but will need to add about 5 lbs more lead when switching tanks. Another relevant issue is that they are high pressure tanks so you need a shop to pump them to around 3500 - if they only do 3000, they lose a good bit of appeal.

I was recently gifted 2 Aluminum 100s. I already have 1 Steel 100 and usually rent Steel 100s when I need more tanks. I am getting into Megalodon Teeth diving which is anywhere from 80-110 ft deep. All my tanks, including the new Aluminum 100s are set up for DIN valves (I dive DIN). Does anyone have experience diving at these depths with Aluminum 100s? I know the physical size and buoyancy factors are different, was just curious on anyones personal experience with these tanks. I would like to use them, its not everyday you get tanks for free!
I've never used one but I know a guy who, like you, got one for free and used it for a little while. He then got rid of it and bought another steel HP100. The buoyancy swing is something like 8 lbs. from full to empty. Seems like an annoying tank to dive with.

In addition to all the other comments, you have to get them filled to 3300 PSI to get 100 ft^3 (probably not a problem if you're getting HP100's filled to 3442) and they are 8" in diameter and do not fit easily into tank holders on a boat

AL100's make good umbrella stands, once decapitated.
Horribly floaty and rather large.

I've never used one but I know a guy who, like you, got one for free and used it for a little while. He then got rid of it and bought another steel HP100. The buoyancy swing is something like 8 lbs. from full to empty. Seems like an annoying tank to dive with.
Buoyancy swing has nothing to do with material of the cylinder...

gas weight is gas weight

Buoyancy swing has nothing to do with material of the cylinder...

gas weight is gas weight
Yes, you are correct. I should have said that the AL100 is a more buoyant tank than a steel HP100. It is bigger and made of a less dense material, and therefore displaces more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom