Question for steel tank aficionados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Brent Bowman

Brent Bowman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using HP 100 steel tanks for awhile and think they are the greatest thing ever. I have been thinking about adding another steel tank to the fleet and was thinking maybe a HP 117 ? So what's it like to swap back and forth between a HP 100 and a HP 117 just based on personal experience? Am I going to have to change my weighting much to swap back and forth between the 100 and the 117? I use about 6 lbs of weight now because we mostly shore dive and I like to be able to swim back in to the beach underwater with not much air left.

Thanks for input on using a HP 117 steel tank.

Thanks again,
Brent Bowman

I say it all depends whether you can work the angles dangles and physics of your cam band or not

There was a dude, we're loading the boat, and he's got a toolbox big enough for a truck mechanic
on a bench with hoses pulled of his reg looking around to see who's noticed he can unscew things

Older dude you'd think he might be able to dive, just got his Dive Master so we get to the site and
geared up he stands to walk to jump in his tank drops out he doesn't notice and the staff grab him
almost mid air, on the rocking boat wrestle him to somewhere stable, to fix him up and toss him in

His tool box big enough for a truck mechanic taking up all the room under his seat sat embarassed

I have a steel 100 and a steel 120.
I swap no problem without having to add or subtract lead. The 7-1/4” diameter for both is nice.
I don’t personally care for 8” tanks.
Exactly. I used to have 2 HP133s. Due to the 8” diameter, I got rid of them and replaced with HP120s. Since then some HP100s followed me home. I use the same weight with either, and don’t need to mess with the cam bands.

I migrated to 120s as well and never went back. Having to adjust bands is one additional step I would prefer to eliminate especially since I have fine tuned the tension on the band.

I have been using HP 100 steel tanks for awhile and think they are the greatest thing ever. I have been thinking about adding another steel tank to the fleet and was thinking maybe a HP 117 ? So what's it like to swap back and forth between a HP 100 and a HP 117 just based on personal experience? Am I going to have to change my weighting much to swap back and forth between the 100 and the 117? I use about 6 lbs of weight now because we mostly shore dive and I like to be able to swim back in to the beach underwater with not much air left.

Thanks for input on using a HP 117 steel tank.

Thanks again,
Brent Bowman
Typically, the larger the steel, the less favorable the buoyancy. So, for a 117 vs. 100, I would expect to add a pound while diving the 117

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom