Alligator Attack - Defense Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't trust any gator over about 5 feet. If a gator is in the water, let them have it and dive elsewhere. "That gator won't bother you," is a myth. Number one rule - NEVER feed a gator.

vladimir:
Now that you've whetted our appetites I think you have to post them.:D

Not on Scubaboard. They are of a very large (~30ft) croc being killled and the 12 year old boy he had ate being removed from its stomach.

I'll pass on the photos. But the news is not all bad:

Scientists in the United States have isolated a powerful agent in crocodile blood which could help conquer human infections immune to standard antibiotics. The discovery was made thanks to the curiosity of a BBC science producer filming a documentary on salt-water crocodiles in Australia, BBC Director-General Greg Dyke revealed on Thursday.

In tests, this substance kills strains of virulent bacteria that are resistant to all standard antibiotics. "She discussed this with a young croc expert who agreed that it would be interesting to try to find out why. After many adventures, they got their blood samples and last week a leading research institute isolated from these samples what I'm told is a novel anti-microbial peptide."

Thalassamania:
Scientists in the United States have isolated a powerful agent in crocodile blood which could help conquer human infections immune to standard antibiotics. The discovery was made thanks to the curiosity of a BBC science producer filming a documentary on salt-water crocodiles in Australia, BBC Director-General Greg Dyke revealed on Thursday.

In tests, this substance kills strains of virulent bacteria that are resistant to all standard antibiotics. "She discussed this with a young croc expert who agreed that it would be interesting to try to find out why. After many adventures, they got their blood samples and last week a leading research institute isolated from these samples what I'm told is a novel anti-microbial peptide."

Wow. That's pretty amazing stuff. It never ceases to amaze me how much is out there that science has yet to discover... it really does boggle the mind.

OHGoDive:
Wow. That's pretty amazing stuff. It never ceases to amaze me how much is out there that science has yet to discover... it really does boggle the mind.
From the species we haven't killed off yet...

DandyDon:
From the species we haven't killed off yet...

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? If some species held the solution to a global problem, or the cure to some disease, but was no longer available to us.... :shakehead

OHGoDive:
Makes you wonder, doesn't it? If some species held the solution to a global problem, or the cure to some disease, but was no longer available to us.... :shakehead

What if that species killed off a certain plant that held the cure?

Who knows how much damage those dodo birds could've done if we hadn't stopped them....

Not on Scubaboard. They are of a very large (~30ft) croc being killled and the 12 year old

oh, well, at least you were not filming the attack.

yea, that sounds gross.

Alligators pluck toddlers off yards in the swamps in Florida, I hear.
My grandmother lived in Punta Gorda and there were dead alligators on the road.

Toddlers, dogs, and earlier this year an older woman who was watering her lawn.

I've never seen a dead alligator on the road, though.

Back in the late 70s we shot a 14' alligator that was chasing my sister on her horse. It came out of a pond next to our barn. The pond couldn't have been 25' across and a couple of feet deep. My brother and I used to camp by it all the time.

catherine96821:
Alligators pluck toddlers off yards in the swamps in Florida, I hear.
My grandmother lived in Punta Gorda and there were dead alligators on the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom