Alligator Attack - Defense Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich:
I have some sick ( and I mean sick) pictures I took in Borneo many moons ago.
Now that you've whetted our appetites I think you have to post them.:D

catherine96821:
and for pete's sake stay out of jellyfish lake...croccodiles are worse.
Are there crocodiles in Jellyfish Lake? They neglected to mention that to me.

The Gators do not tend to visit the springs all that much as the water is to cold for them but the odd one has come up to sit on a rock and sun themselves. They also don't eat much in the winter months apparently they do not digest food in cold water. They preferr the darker water to the clear spring water for hunting it gives them the advantage.

Basically stay clear of them if they are around. Usually they will run at the sight of a diver. Larger ones may come around as a curiosity thing but then keep your eye on them if they do.

This page from my website has one that we saw at Peacock 1 Springs. When I jumped in he took off. He was about a 6 footer
http://www.genesisdiving.com/dive_trips/scuba_diving_florida.shtml

The week before this picture they pulled about a 12 footer out of the springs. He made many divers nervous

It's not like it is a croc :D :D :D :D :D :D

Some real nice pics of Alexander Springs....Check them out in the photo gallery:14:

cudachaser:
They say 14ft...I've never met her...She won't bother you

I saw hime once

GDI:
The Gators do not tend to visit the springs all that much as the water is to cold for them but the odd one has come up to sit on a rock and sun themselves. They also don't eat much in the winter months apparently they do not digest food in cold water. They preferr the darker water to the clear spring water for hunting it gives them the advantage.

Basically stay clear of them if they are around. Usually they will run at the sight of a diver. Larger ones may come around as a curiosity thing but then keep your eye on them if they do.

This page from my website has one that we saw at Peacock 1 Springs. When I jumped in he took off. He was about a 6 footer
http://www.genesisdiving.com/dive_trips/scuba_diving_florida.shtml

The week before this picture they pulled about a 12 footer out of the springs. He made many divers nervous

Head down to Athens and talk to the boys who hang out "between the hedges," as they have had much experience dealing with angry Gators over the years.

Just keep in mind that their recent run-ins have been pretty woeful...

It was my understanding that this time of year they are pretty much tucked in for a bit of hibernation, now in the spring and summer...they can be a bit of bother. According to the experts:

American alligators hibernate during the winter in burrows (or "dens") that they construct, but may occasionally emerge during brief spells of warmer weather.
Alligators do not feed during the cooler months. Studies in captivity have shown that alligators generally begin to lose their appetite below 27°C (80°F), and stop feeding altogether below 23°C (73°F). They can easily last the winter on their energy reserves.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom