Alligator Attack - Defense Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How big are the deer around there? I guess they're the most deadly animal in North America for the number of people killed in hiway wrecks. :shakehead

For in the water, tho - how about manatees with babies? Has NetDoc ever posted that story? I've heard him tell it twice - better the second time, of course. :D

I had a 1 inch tetra (tiny members of the characin/piranha family) that kept biting my ear in my OW class. :11:

don't forget to look for this sign. it may help you :D

alligatorzx2.jpg

Years ago during some military infiltration training I drifted down a muddy south Louisiana bayou at night with just my nose above water. I even heard one grunt.I figure if one didn't get me then they aren't a problem diving in clear water

Jeeze, since leaving work there have been 30 posts...awesome!

Had a diver get attacked by one here this spring - salt water bay, 8' of water, diver was hunting for bottles when it grabbed him below the knee and started pulling him swiftly and aggressively backwards. His understandable reaction was to assume that a shark had gotten a hold of him, and he luckily dispatched the beast with a spear shaft through the head via a blind shot in zero visibility. He didn't realize what had happened until he pulled the dead gator up with the line from the speargun.

cerich:
Not so sure with Gators but I know sea water crocs will attack u/w... I have some sick ( and I mean sick) pictures I took in Borneo many moons ago.
Don't want to see them (I'm still trying to catch my breath enough to watch the last half of the Dave Shaw video) but I'd be interested in a description, I had a rather adrenal rupturing encounter with one in the Gulf of Siam back in the mid '70s.

Gators hate compressed air... just give them a shot from your reg and watch them scramble. Really.

It is also important if you are diving with Bull Gators that you warn them of your presence as they don't like to be surprised! Clipping an underwater bell onto your regulator and carrying a can of pepper spray will go a long way to keep them away from you.

So how do you know if there are Bull Gators in the area? It's easy: just examine the scat (poop) along the shore line. A regular gator will have small to medium size scat and there will be fish and bird bones in it. A Bull Gator's scat will be MUCH bigger, smell like peppers and have assorted bells in the mix.

:D

But really... gators hate compressed air. Your best defense is what is in your mouth. And that tiny little Gator in Alexander is only 3 or 4 foot long.

PS: Like manatees, Gators love the springs in the winter time. Far warmer than the rivers.

NetDoc:
Gators hate compressed air... just give them a shot from your reg and watch them scramble. Really.
You've got enough jokes in there that now I'm unsure, REALLY?

It is also important if you are diving with Bull Gators that you warn them of your presence as they don't like to be surprised! Clipping an underwater bell onto your regulator and carrying a can of pepper spray will go a long way to keep them away from you.

So how do you know if there are Bull Gators in the area? It's easy: just examine the scat (poop) along the shore line. A regular gator will have small to medium size scat and there will be fish and bird bones in it. A Bull Gator's scat will be MUCH bigger, smell like peppers and have assorted bells in the mix.

oh my.. I don't think I would have ever learned that if you had not posted.

You must be a Florida boy. I know there is endless gator lore down there.

are you serious?

Cerich..I would love to see those Borneo shots. How sick are they?

NetDoc,

I have an important question. What do I do if I see human body parts protruding from the gator scat? Does this warrant a conversation with the animal about why he done it, or can I assume he was simply doing us all an "evolutionary favor" and had some redneck delight for dinner?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom