Allergy and Equalization sufferers who take Sudafed-like products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Many of us take Pseudoephedrine for allergies and to help our ears clear, and I have often suggested Wal-Act D available at Walgreens nationwide as it contained the real chemical from which Sudafed originally took its name. Since Pseudoephedrine became under behind-the-counter sales rules with ID requirements and limits on quantities, Pseudoephedrine has been difficult to find at times and the manufacturer started promoting a new and worthless brand of Sudafed PE in various packages along with store brands containing the placebo Phenylephrine, so it's been a buyer beware situation.

Walgreens just changed the name and packaging again, so you may have some difficulties requesting it. Now they call it Cold and Allergy D and it comes in a blue box - see below. CVS, United Pharmacies, and others will have their own store brands but be careful that you shop for Pseudoephedrine products. I prefer this package as it contains an antihistamine that helps with the cause of allergy problems. A few other notes...
  • This is the six-hour pill. Some suggest taking the 12-hour pill to ensure that it doesn't wear off. I'm fine with the six-hour pill, been taking it daily for decades - increasing the dosage from two a day as needed occasionally, but your call. That will be a different package.
  • It is illegal to take Pseudoephedrine into Mexico so I am careful how I pack mine when I do. Fortunately, it is a while pill that resembles so many others and not the red pill easily recognized as Pseudoephedrine.
  • There was a lengthy recent thread in the Dive Medicine forum about safety that I have not read. If they had made it a poll, I would have voted Yes, but oh well. Sudafed prior to diving--is it safe?

IMG_2414.jpg

@DandyDon

Triprolidine is a first generation antihistamine, meaning it can cause drowsiness/sedation. YMMV and individuals have a wide span of how 1st gen H1 antagonists actually affect them. Some people claim to get wired after taking them. Also, combining a 1st gen H1 blocker with pseudoephedrine may decrease the sedating effects. For a true "non drowsy" antihistamine/decongestant combo, you could go with fexofenadine/pseudoephedrine (Allegra-D) or loratidine/pseudoephedrine (Claritin-D). Both are available in generic forms, but they are only available in a 12 or 24 hour versions however.

*Not a Dr. nor do I play one on TV, so this does not constitute medical advice, for only information purposes only, consult your own physician or healthcare provider, not valid in Nevada, California, nor the District of Columbia...

Why would you take extended release pseudoephedrine with an antihistamine if there is not an allergic component to your congestion? I take extended release pseudoephedrine 120 mg, by itself on the rare occasion that I might need it. It is widely available generically and available at your drugstore.

Why would you take extended release pseudoephedrine with an antihistamine if there is not an allergic component to your congestion? I take extended release pseudoephedrine 120 mg, by itself on the rare occasion that I might need it.
Good point. Different solutions for different folks.
It is widely available generically.
As long as it's a Pseudoephedrine product, behind the counter, ID required.

Why would you take extended release pseudoephedrine with an antihistamine if there is not an allergic component to your congestion? I take extended release pseudoephedrine 120 mg, by itself on the rare occasion that I might need it. It is widely available generically and available at your drugstore.
I'm gonna bet that there is an allergy involved for most congested people.

I'm gonna bet that there is an allergy involved for most congested people.
Perhaps you're chronically congested, I am congested on the rare occasion when I have a viral infection. Many people with allergy would already be taking an antihistamine regularly.

Guaifenesin ( mucinex) and oxymetazoline ( afrin) generics are safer, cheaper and are on the shelf. No drowsiness, no getting wired , fewer drug interactions, less rebound effect, longer lasting.

Guaifenesin ( mucinex) and oxymetazoline ( afrin) generics are safer, cheaper and are on the shelf. No drowsiness, no getting wired , fewer drug interactions, less rebound effect, longer lasting.
Afrin has no rebound effect? Is longer lasting?
I've used a ton of antihistimines over the last 60 years. A bunch of pseudoephidrine, and a lot of Afrin. I have never seen rebound from the pseudoephidrine but I can tell you that rebound is a big problem with Afrin.

I posted this thread and photo for those who have been taking Pseudoephedrine (PSE), specifically Wal-Act D, as a heads up on the name and package change. For allergy and equalization sufferers who are interested in trying it, trying on a lazy day at home to see if you are the rare person who reacts uncomfortably. PSE is chemically similar to speed, and I have heard of folks who got agitated by it. It's never bothered me over the decades, and I take one before bed every night.

Sorry, but that's crap. Oxymetazoline is infamous for its rebound risks and should never be taken for more than three days. Oxymetazoline nasal Uses, Side Effects & Warnings - Drugs.com. It's okay to use for a really bad day or two when the usual PSE is not enough, but never more than three days, and be careful about mixing meds.

Guaifenesin is expectorant used to clear mucus from the lungs and has nothing to do with this discussion.

Back
Top Bottom