Sudafed prior to diving--is it safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carrythatweight

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A friend of mine takes Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) prior to diving--he says that it helps him equalize. I’d like to recommend him something like Pro Plugs or EarShield, especially since some experienced divers have told me about the potential concern of oxygen toxicity when taking it just prior to diving. Should I advise him to steer clear of Sudafed? Cheers.

I have used Sudafed for years, especially since my girlfriend moved in with her cat, Charlie the Tuna -- mostly for ease from otherwise constant congestion, and especially while using a full face mask, which can take some doing to equalize, just by its design. I have used it with air, nitrox and trimix over the years without any issue.

That O2 toxicity account sounds like absolute horsescheiß -- though there were some anecdotal accounts (aka unsupported, post hoc ergo propter hoc -- “I knew a guy, who knew a guy, who knew a guy”) — floating around, of seizure activity among those who had “abused“ (please define that) pseudoephedrine, along with the typical sightings of Elvis pumping gas, at an Arco in Turlock and autism from vaccines . . .

I’ve taken Zyrtec-D (pseudoephedrine) daily for allergies for years (at doc’s instructions). I add Flonase on diving day mornings and whenever I’m more congested. I’ve been diving for more than five years and 400+ dives. No problems at all.

That O2 toxicity thing sounds like a bunch of crap.

A friend of mine takes Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) prior to diving--he says that it helps him equalize. I’d like to recommend him something like Pro Plugs or EarShield, especially since some experienced divers have told me about the potential concern of oxygen toxicity when taking it just prior to diving. Should I advise him to steer clear of Sudafed? Cheers.
If you are not a doctor then your recommendation should be that he seek advice from a doctor with diving background or one affiliated with DAN.

Taking any medication prior to diving, particularly one that has an affect on one's ability to clear their ears should be a calculated risk....but it is only a calculated risk if the person taking the meds has an understanding of the pros and cons before making the choice to take the meds and dive.

-Z

Flonase and Sudafed 1 hour before diving for about 500 or more dives. This was what my ENT Doc prescribed and never had a problem, although I did see Elvis pumping gas in Turlock once, but it was at the Chevron!

@Bigbella @Marie13 @DirtFish Thank you all for your feedback. I must admit that I thought it was garbage as well but feel reassured to see comments discounting this sort of hearsay.

@Zef Thank you. I agree, though I wanted to see what others' experience has been with Sudafed within this context.

It's maybe not complete BS. There's been some anecdotal evidence in humans, and some rat studies. I rarely need Sudafed, but when I take it before diving, I make a point of not pushing my MOD.

Never dive without it. Since 1985.

I start my dive day with a 24-hour Sudafed (I don't want to risk the shorter acting form wearing off as I'm usually doing more than one dive), Flonase and Claritan (generics where available). While my experience, like many, is anecdotal, there are a lot of divers out there 'anecdotally' taking Sudafed. It's worth being mindful there's a potential risk, and your friend may wish to read up on it to be well-informed.

That said, there are 'potential risks' with a lot of things. Are you sure the potential risks of Sudafed outweigh those of Pro Plugs? If he skips Sudafed, uses Ear Shield, gets a reverse block at depth, has to come up, ruptures an ear drum and gets intense vertigo when water invades the middle ear, then what will you say? It may be highly unlikely, but then we're back to trying to compare presumably small risks of unknown specifics.

I don’t know about Sudafed, but there is only 24 hour strength Zyrtec-D.

If someone is congested due to allergies, ProPlugs or Ear Shield are going to do absolutely squat. @carrythatweight are you sure your friend doesn’t use Sudafed due to congestion he’s not told you about?

Back
Top Bottom