Sudafed prior to diving--is it safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do not take the 4/6 hour version before a 2 dive day, I did by accident and it was painful. It wore off on the bottom of a dive.

It's maybe not complete BS. There's been some anecdotal evidence in humans, and some rat studies. I rarely need Sudafed, but when I take it before diving, I make a point of not pushing my MOD.

Anecdotal evidence: "based on or consisting of potential causal reports or observations of usually unscientific observers." and considered "the least certain type of scientific information . . ."

Anecdotal evidence: "based on or consisting of casual reports or observations of usually unscientific observers." and considered "the least certain type of scientific information . . ."

you forgot, "and the sole basis for most contemporary political discourse and policy".

Anecdotal evidence: "based on or consisting of casual reports or observations of usually unscientific observers." and considered "the least certain type of scientific information . . ."
As opposed to "I've done it for years and never had a problem," which is the gold standard for scientific risk assessment.

I'm not saying don't dive on Sudafed. In fact, I admitted to doing it myself. But when there's even hazy evidence that X may increase your risk of Y, it makes sense to consider extra precautions around X, especially if Y involves something as potentially catastrophic as convulsions and loss of consciousness underwater.

As opposed to "I've done it for years and never had a problem," which is the gold standard for scientific risk assessment.
No, that is also admittedly anecdotal, but based upon tens of thousands of successful dives on pseudoephedrine, among tens of thousands of divers, over decades -- numerically and statistically significant, I would think, for it to rise from the open sewer of the "anecdotal" to a potential of a more studied and informative "case report," something that could actually be subjected to peer review -- not just some straw man, post hoc fallacy.

In the interest of full disclosure, I haven't spent any quality time inducing myoclonus or "hyperoxic seizure latency" in any mice or rats, at the equivalent of five atmospheres, on straight O2, while dosing the little darlings with Sudafed -- well, maybe, once or twice, as a hazing ritual, while at university . . .

Thank you all for your comments. I passed on the link to this thread to the friend in question. He and his girlfriend were pleasantly surprised as to how responsive and helpful the SB community is. Thank you all, again!

Seems to me that the majority of folks who use Sudafed are doing so in order more easily equalize on decent. My take is that if you cannot easily and normally equalize on decent, then you need to "re-think" and probably abort that dive and figure out what the issue is.

For me the primary concern is a reverse squeeze on ascent if the Sudafed either wears off.....or your underlying condition that made it difficult in the first place get worse during the dive.

In over 50 years of diving I have only had one real bad reverse squeeze........ right under the boat in 15 ft. Every time I tried to ascend it felt like a no Novocain root canal... Lucky to have my 19cf pony and able to work it out....

Seems to me that the majority of folks who use Sudafed are doing so in order more easily equalize on decent. My take is that if you cannot easily and normally equalize on decent, then you need to "re-think" and probably abort that dive and figure out what the issue is.

For me the primary concern is a reverse squeeze on ascent if the Sudafed either wears off.....or your underlying condition that made it difficult in the first place get worse during the dive.

In over 50 years of diving I have only had one real bad reverse squeeze........ right under the boat in 15 ft. Every time I tried to ascend it felt like a no Novocain root canal... Lucky to have my 19cf pony and able to work it out....
So simple, just don't dive! Unfortunately, I like to dive.

Personally, I would only medicate if I was having trouble equalizing due to congestion, I would not medicate for every dive if I was equalizing OK. I have taken 24-hour pseudoephedrine a very few times when I was having a problem. It may have helped. I don't really know if there is a risk regarding hyperoxia.

Back
Top Bottom