Sudafed prior to diving--is it safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I would only medicate if I was having trouble equalizing due to congestion, I would not medicate for every dive if I was equalizing OK. I have taken 24-hour pseudoephedrine a very few times when I was having a problem. It may have helped. I don't really know if there is a risk regarding hyperoxia.
Very smart. What if you had continuous congestion problems?

Seems to me that the majority of folks who use Sudafed are doing so in order more easily equalize on decent. My take is that if you cannot easily and normally equalize on decent, then you need to "re-think" and probably abort that dive and figure out what the issue is.

For me the primary concern is a reverse squeeze on ascent if the Sudafed either wears off.....or your underlying condition that made it difficult in the first place get worse during the dive.

In over 50 years of diving I have only had one real bad reverse squeeze........ right under the boat in 15 ft. Every time I tried to ascend it felt like a no Novocain root canal... Lucky to have my 19cf pony and able to work it out....
I would have missed out on thousands of dives over the last decade with that plan. It is an option, but it doesn't work for every person. If it is a known issue, dosing can be planned for dive durations.
Consider yourself lucky it isn't an issue for you. I wish I was in your armchair playing quarterback.

Very smart. What if you had continuous congestion problems?

He seems to to think you shouldn’t dive at all. Screw that!!

He seems to to think you shouldn’t dive at all. Screw that!!
I enjoy these threads. Very similar to people who seldom get seasick telling people who always get seasick to use ginger or wristbands.

I would have missed out on thousands of dives over the last decade with that plan. It is an option, but it doesn't work for every person. If it is a known issue, dosing can be planned for dive durations.
Consider yourself lucky it isn't an issue for you. I wish I was in your armchair playing quarterback.
Really..... All I am saying is that using medication like Sudafed to circumvent and basically ignore a more prevalent underlying issue might be a bad plan because of the risk of a reverse squeeze. I also seriously have a general issue with anyone who claims to have "thousands" of dives over the past 10 years.

Really..... All I am saying is that using medication like Sudafed to circumvent and basically ignore a more prevalent underlying issue might be a bad plan because of the risk of a reverse squeeze. I also seriously have a general issue with anyone who claims to have "thousands" of dives over the past 10 years.

Please tell me how I’m “ignoring” my allergies and daily congestion by taking pseudoephedrine daily - at my doctor’s orders - for years. I’m nearly 53 and I’ve been taking something daily for allergies since I was in elementary school. When Seldane was released somewhere around my sophomore year of high school (1985ish) I was one of the first patients the family doctor put on it. Seldane was the first non-drowsy allergy med.

You don’t appear to be a medical professional so you have no bloody business telling people they shouldn’t dive if they have continual congestion.

The only good thing about the congestion is I had no issue with breathing through my mouth when I started diving. I scratch my head at the people who are incapable of learning to breathe through their mouth. Have they never had a bad cold?

It isn't using it to circumvent or ignore a problem, quite the opposite. It is using it to treat a problem. That is how the medication works. Reverse squeeze is a valid concern, hence why dosage and timing is a critical aspect.
Sorry, not quite "thousands," I looked and I am just a touch over 1600 for the last 10 years. Sorry you have a serious general issue with that.

you forgot, "and the sole basis for most contemporary political discourse and policy".

:)

For me the primary concern is a reverse squeeze on ascent if the Sudafed either wears off.....or your underlying condition that made it difficult in the first place get worse during the dive.

My reverse squeeze was out of Heathrow, whatever the stewardess “didn’t” give me eventually worked, don’t want to do that again.

You don’t appear to be a medical professional so you have no bloody business telling people they shouldn’t dive if they have continual congestion.
You are correct. I am not a medical professional.....and I never stated that people shouldn't dive if they have continual congestion.. My actual stated opinion was...... "if you cannot easily and normally equalize on decent, then you need to "re-think" and probably abort that dive and figure out what the issue is."

Sorry, not quite "thousands," I looked and I am just a touch over 1600 for the last 10 years. Sorry you have a serious general issue with that.
No worries..... I'm sure that I'll get over it and sleep OK.... 160 dives per year is actually impressive!

You are correct. I am not a medical professional.....and I never stated that people shouldn't dive if they have continual congestion.. My actual stated opinion was...... "if you cannot easily and normally equalize on decent, then you need to "re-think" and probably abort that dive and figure out what the issue is."

No worries..... I'm sure that I'll get over it and sleep OK.... 160 dives per year is actually impressive!
The reason we are taking the meds is because we already had a problem on a dive and figured out the issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom