Alkin W31 Compressor question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the US, we usually have two 110/115v phases that are 180 degrees out (unlike a thru 3-phase systems where each phase is 120 degrees apart). Any single phase+neutral (which usually == ground for residential) gives you 110/115v. If you take the two hot phases though, since they're 180 out of phase you get 220/230v. Here at the office (datacenter) we have 3ph power available, so combining two of the phases gets you 208v since they're only 120 degrees apart, not 180.

Doubling the voltage means the current (amp) requirement is halved, or rather the available current is doubled - a motor wired for 110v might require 20A, but when wired for 220v only take 10.

It's difficult or impossible to get 3-phase power into most residences, and 3ph switchgear tends to be much more expensive than 1ph.

It's difficult or impossible to get 3-phase power into most residences, and 3ph switchgear tends to be much more expensive than 1ph.

There are now available variable frequency motor drives that are capable of taking single phase input and creating 3 phase output. When used with a 3 phase motor you also get variable speed, and reversing, pretty cool. These variable frequency drives aren't cheap, but often the motor you need is cheaper in 3 phase, and compared to other single phase to 3 phase solution the drives are much less $$ installed. Just another tool in the box.

Tobin

But oversized SUV's are commonplace! :rofl3:

Hey, 3-phase makes things go 'round when you need some serious power. If you're the lucky owner of a 7,5 hp compressor (5,5 kW), you'll need some amps even with "only" 230 volts. A 32A 3-phase 230V does the trick, and it's available in any home here, even if some might need 10 minutes work from a certified electrician. I'd still prefer 400V though. -Puts less strain on the wiring.

EDIT: Has anyone ever tried starting up a 1 phase construction saw on a looong extension cord? Or a LP carpenter compressor in minus 10 degrees on (usually) that same cord as the saw is running on? Not so funny...

So you wouldn't believe the conversation I had with AireTex today.

They informed me that they get the Alkin compressors from Turkey without a plug or cord. AireTex says that they attach a cord and plug here for use in the USA. They told me that the plug on my compressor is the standard plug that they attach here in the USA.

Then I asked them specifically about the plug.

They actually told me that they don't know where that plug would be used in the USA. They didn't know of any outlets in the USA where that plug would fit. They told me that I need to buy an adapter to plug the compressor into a dryer outlet.

I asked them why they didn't just attach a plug that fits in a standard USA dryer outlet so that an adapter or re-wiring is not needed. They said:

"I don't know, we never thought of that. That's the plug we've always used."

Huh???????????????????????????????????????

So you wouldn't believe the conversation I had with AireTex today.

They informed me that they get the Alkin compressors from Turkey without a plug or cord. AireTex says that they attach a cord and plug here for use in the USA. They told me that the plug on my compressor is the standard plug that they attach here in the USA.

Then I asked them specifically about the plug.

They actually told me that they don't know where that plug would be used in the USA. They didn't know of any outlets in the USA where that plug would fit. They told me that I need to buy an adapter to plug the compressor into a dryer outlet.

I asked them why they didn't just attach a plug that fits in a standard USA dryer outlet so that an adapter or re-wiring is not needed. They said:

"I don't know, we never thought of that. That's the plug we've always used."

Huh???????????????????????????????????????

That's not good, is it? :rofl3:

UPDATE 2/8/08

I have everything in my garage now - the compressors, filter towers, valves, cascade tanks, etc.

It all makes much more sense once you've got everything in hand.

I cut off the funny plug and installed a regular dryer plug. But there was no power to the outlet, so I had to get an electrician to add some circuit breakers and wires to the electrical box.

I finished making my Nitrox stick. The compressor intake is 1/2" pipe, so it was easy to connect the Nitrox stick to the intake.

Everything on the compressor is compatible with 1/4" NPT, so I just removed the funny Turkish fittings and converted it all to standard 1/4" NPT.

I have three HC-4500 seel tanks! They are beautiful. I wonder if could rig them up onto my Hog harness for some extended bottom time? Imagine double HC-4500s. What kind of wing would you use? A surplus blimp?

I think we ought to have a "lessons learned" section for the particulars of each specific compressor brand.

The "original" plug the OP described was a 220V 15-amp plug. These are common in the United States.

The "dryer" plugs with the three wide blades are a 220v 30-amp plug.

Replacing the 15-amp plug with a 30-amp plug was the right move (you would, however, never want to replace a 30-amp plug with a 15-amp plug).

All power in the United States leaves the generators with the three legs 120 degrees out of phase (all power that is part of the main power grid, anyway, there may be exceptions). Whether you get 208 or 240 out of your wall depends on step-down transformer setup...the finer points of 3-phase power distribution are over my head at this point.

Matt

The "original" plug the OP described was a 220V 15-amp plug. These are common in the United States.

The "dryer" plugs with the three wide blades are a 220v 30-amp plug.

Replacing the 15-amp plug with a 30-amp plug was the right move (you would, however, never want to replace a 30-amp plug with a 15-amp plug).

All power in the United States leaves the generators with the three legs 120 degrees out of phase (all power that is part of the main power grid, anyway, there may be exceptions). Whether you get 208 or 240 out of your wall depends on step-down transformer setup...the finer points of 3-phase power distribution are over my head at this point.

Matt

I'm having a hard time figuring out our own system, let alone yours!

Three-phase electric power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Three-phase electric power is a common method of electric power transmission. It is a type of polyphase system mainly used to power motors and many other devices. A three-phase system uses less conductor material to transmit electric power than equivalent single-phase, two-phase, or direct-current systems at the same voltage.

In a three-phase system, three circuit conductors carry three alternating currents (of the same frequency) which reach their instantaneous peak values at different times. Taking one conductor as the reference, the other two currents are delayed in time by one-third and two-thirds of one cycle of the electrical current. This delay between "phases" has the effect of giving constant power transfer over each cycle of the current, and also makes it possible to produce a rotating magnetic field in an electric motor.

Three phase systems may or may not have a neutral wire. A neutral wire allows the three phase system to use a higher voltage while still supporting lower voltage single phase appliances. In high voltage distribution situations it is common not to have a neutral wire as the loads can simply be connected between phases (phase-phase connection).

Three phase has properties that make it very desirable in electric power systems. First, the phase currents tend to cancel out one another, summing to zero in the case of a linear balanced load. This makes it possible to eliminate the neutral conductor on some lines; all the phase conductors carry the same current and so can be the same size, for a balanced load. Second, power transfer into a linear balanced load is constant, which helps to reduce generator and motor vibrations. Finally, three-phase systems can produce a magnetic field that rotates in a specified direction, which simplifies the design of electric motors. Three is the lowest phase order to exhibit all of these properties.

Most domestic loads are single phase. Generally three phase power either does not enter domestic houses at all, or where it does, it is split out at the main distribution board.

The three phases are typically indicated by colors which vary by country. See the table for more information.

Three-phase electric power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The most important class of three-phase load is the electric motor. A three phase induction motor has a simple design, inherently high starting torque, and high efficiency. Such motors are applied in industry for pumps, fans, blowers, compressors, conveyor drives, and many other kinds of motor-driven equipment. A three-phase motor will be more compact and less costly than a single-phase motor of the same voltage class and rating; and single-phase AC motors above 10 HP (7.5 kW) are uncommon. Three phase motors will also vibrate less and hence last longer than single phase motor of the same power used under the same conditions.

Large air conditioning, etc. equipment use three-phase motors for reasons of efficiency, economy and longevity.

Resistance heating loads such as electric boilers or space heating may be connected to three-phase systems. Electric lighting may also be similarly connected. These types of loads do not require the revolving magnetic field characteristic of three-phase motors but take advantage of the higher voltage and power level usually associated with three-phase distribution. Fluorescent lighting systems also benefit from reduced flicker if adjacent fixtures are powered from different phases.

Large rectifier systems may have three-phase inputs; the resulting DC current is easier to filter (smooth) than the output of a single-phase rectifier. Such rectifiers may be used for battery charging, electrolysis processes such as aluminum production, or for operation of DC motors.

An interesting example of a three-phase load is the electric arc furnace used in steelmaking and in refining of ores.

In much of Europe stoves are designed for a three phase feed. Usually the individual heating units are connected between phase and neutral to allow for connection to a single phase supply. In many areas of Europe, single phase power is the only source available.

3phase-rmf-320x240-180fc.gif

The plug we use is the NEMA 6-15 or 6-20 plug. That is the standard single phase 220v-250v, male 15 amp plug or the 20 amp plug. This plug is exactly the same size as a 110v-120v plug but the hot wires are horizontal on the 220v instead of vertical as on the 110v-120v plug. You do not need a 50 amp dryer plug for a compressor that draws 12.7 amps or less running.
That is a very common outlet here in America and if you have a special need just let me know prior to the sale and we will help you with it.
The other manufacturors do not put a plug on there at all. We include the plug, on / off switch, hour meter and cord at no charge and we will put pretty much any plug you want on there if you just tell us what you want.

Most of the confusion was in one of the original posts there was a picture of some foreign plug and definatly NOT what we use. look up NEMA 6-15 plug and I may try to post a picture of one tommorow. Most of you have one of those plugs in your garages already.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom