Alkin W31 Compressor question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Okay, got my compressor delivered this weekend. It is supposed to plug into a standard dryer outlet.

The electric motor plate says: "1P 230V 60Hz"

But the electric plug on my new compressor is not something I've ever seen before. A friend who has been an electrician for 30 years says he has never seen this plug before either.

My dryer outlet takes a three-prong dryer plug like the grey one on the right:
dryerplugs.jpg

The plug that is on my compressor is sort of like the standard US 110V plug except the flat prongs are in series instead of parallel. It's sort of like the plug in this photo except the upper prong is round instead of flat:
G_plug.png

What kind of plug did your Alkin W31 come with? I know I've got to call Aire Tex tormorrow, but I'm anxious and can't wait to find out what's going on.

Good evening,
I have the same plug as you on my W31.
I purchased the outlet and circuit breaker at my local Home Depot.
Levitron # 5823 single outlet.
Product Details
I used 10 ga wire, 2 hot wires and a ground wire to set up the outlet.
I used a 30 amp fuse for the panel.
The unit draws 12.6 amps running on each leg of the hot wires.
Any questions, p.m. me or post here.
Jim Breslin

OMG, now I gotta re-wire my damn house?

Is it too late to back out of this endeavor?

I dunno that you need to re-wire your house. You might need a new outlet and breaker installed where you're going to be locating your compressor. Or maybe just have a new plug installed on the cable of the compressor. Another option would be to have an electrician make up a short jump cable, with a female end to match your compressor and a male end to match your dryer or something like that. When I was working as a millwright, we used to do that for our MIG welder when we had to travel. We had a couple different ones made up so we could plug into whatever outlets that location used.

Another option is you sell the compressor to me real cheap :D

Ask Airtex if he has any objection to an electrician running a dryer cable back to the motor, eg, to replace the original power cord. It doesn't seem like a big deal.

Harry,
A home compressor is kinda like a snowball going down hill.
Buying the compressor was the cheap part of the whole project, the cylinders, tubing, valves, fittings, extra filters, ..... well you get the idea.
How large of a service do you have coming into your home ? (100, 200 ,300 amp service)
Jim breslin

Open the conduit box on the motor and look at the wiring diagram (also could be on the motor name-plate). Cut the plug off the cable and buy a plug that matches your dryer outlet. Strip the insulation off the cable with a razor knife, taking care to not cut through the individual wire insulation. strip the individual wire insulation with a pair of stripers and install the new plug. All you need to do is make sure the two hot leads and ground are connected to the correct tines of the plug. You could also buy a cable with the correct plug and just replace the existing one at the motor or control box if it has a mag starter.

On a side note, if your motor is 3hp, you want to make sure the breaker is of appropriate size. Never try to start the compressor under load.

Craig

There are a number of ways to solve your problem.
You could change the cord on the compressor. Dryer power cords are cheap (or free if there is a appliance store nearby. (Look for a old dryer with a good cord)

Your could try and find a "cord cap" or replacement plug for the end of your current cord.

You could purchase the matching receptacle and install a new outlet box and wiring from your panel. I'd look at this option first. If your panel is in your garage, near where you want to operate your compressor, and if you have space for a new 2 pole breaker, adding a box with a receptacle close to the panel is pretty cheap. You do have an electrician available. (Better isa electrician that dives:wink:)

This solution leaves your compressor unaltered in anyway, and provides a dedicated outlet for the compressor. You don't need to unplug the dryer every time you want to pump.

Tobin

The weird plug is not adding any value to your compressor. Back in the day, my new Bauer had no power cable at all. I ran a dryer cable to the motor. Also, an electrician installed an additional outlet. When my diving locker was constructed the compressor earned its own corner with outlet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom