Aladin Datatrak working with Windows 7?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

winedog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I was wondering if any users of the uwatec Datatrak and memomouse have been able to successfully download their dives into the Datatrak software when running windows 7? I am using a USB->serial cable converter and when I use that cable it works just fine in Windows XP, but I can't make it download dives in Windows 7. Interestingly enough, the Datatalk software will work under Windows 7 so I can see that the serial adapter is working in Win7 and allowing communication.

When I try to transfer the dives in Windows 7, Datatrak sees the memomouse, but when I start up the transfer by entering the logbook mode on my Aladin Pro, Datatrak never sees the transfer (the memomouse lights up in green and seems to be working just fine).

So...has anyone ever managed to transfer dives in Windows 7 via Datatrak?

I saw your post a couple days ago but did not have a chance to try mine using Win7 x64. It worked fine in both Datatrak and Datatalk. I have an Aladin Air Z Nitrox. I used the latest version of DataTrak 3.06, on a Win7 64bit machine. The USB to Serial converter I use is from Seweldirect and they have a driver for Win7 x86 and x64.

What adapter are you using and is it listed under Device Manager/Ports? You might also have to change the settings for the port, though I did not. I'm using 9600/8/none/1/none. Datatrak is set to Auto for the ports while my USB/Serial is COM4.

I'm trying a USB to serial adapter with the prolific chipset. What's really strange is that I can get it to work with Datatalk, but it simply will not transfer dives in Datatrak. The same adapter manages to do the transfer in WinXP, but my new laptop and computer is win7 and I sure wish I could get it to work with them.

When you look at the driver in the device manager, what does it list it as? There's really only a handful of chipset for USB/Serial drivers so maybe if you can tell me which driver it is that would help.

It's Prolific version 3.3.5.122 date of 7/17/2009. Driver file details: ser2pl64.sys and serenum.sys. ser2pI64.sys is from Prolific: Driver Download

prolific-driver-detail.jpg

That's helpful thank you....the driver download file you linked has a MUCH newer driver version and that is the one I'm using.

It looks to me like the older driver that you have is the one that might be compatible.

So the question is now whether I can find that older version of the driver somewhere...

That's excellent...it's working now! Thank you!

Soo...to anyone who stumbles on this thread...not only do you need a Prolific chipset USB to Serial adapter...you need an older version of the driver!

Hi ScubaVideo and winedog, you two seem very knowledgable maybe you can help me. I am using Windows 7 64bit but I have an EF232 PCI ->Serial & Dual Parallel card and the EF232 Technology Driver version 2.0.2009.6. I keep getting a message that the memomouse is not connected and to check the cables and the windows setup. Can you help please.
Thanks
gwadir

Unfortunately, I don't think I can help too much. It seems that the compatibility is idiosyncratic to various chipsets and drivers. Honestly, the best suggestion I could make would be to find a good computer parts store near you that has a selection of USB->Serial adapters and has a good return policy. Then it's a matter of trying them out until you find one that works.

Good luck.

If you have any success, please post back here with your results so that it may help other users.

To update this thread, I have the same problem as Winedog.

My memo mouse works on my older netbook running XP through a Prolific Serial to USB cable.

When I tried it on the new Win 7 computer using the latest 64 bit driver downloaded from the Prolific web-site, the drivers would load OK, but after inserting the cable the install would fail. Using an older Vista driver version 3.2.0.0 allowed the cable to install and Datatrak to recognize the Memo Mouse, but the transfer just timed out without actually sending the data.

Winedog kindly sent me his driver files, but they behaved just like the newest version and the install failed, even the 3.3.5.122 version that worked for him.

Fortunately, the Win 7 computer has a serial port on the back, so after finding a shop that still had a serial cable in stock, I plugged the memo mouse in directly through it and it works just fine.

I am running a Virtual XP Mode on the computer that allows me to run older things that are not compatible with Win 7. If I had not found the serial cable, that was something I was going to try. But only specific processors and versions of Win 7 can run the XP Virtual mode, so that might not help other people.

So, if you do not have a serial port, I think Winedog's advice of trying a different brand of serial to USB cable is probably the best course of action.

Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom