SubSurface, Perdix 2, and Bluetooth Sync Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for this great analysis, that explains the issues we had all these years! Actually I've added the "Unpair and re-pair" option for Shearwaters in the end in my software and this finally fixed the problem on Windows.
Yes my "how should I say" hate is too strong and distrust is too weak is how I feel about shearwater... I like my data and up until last year in october my dives were now do not laugh ... grease pen and slate with a runtime plan off multideco and two bottom timers + a depth gauge and a datalogger fob [ReefNet Inc. | Sensus Ultra]. once on the surface i would download the reefnet FOB and compile my data...
when the fobs went from 50 usd to 250.00 I held out as long as possible as my last one died in october 2023..
That was my dive computer which I replaced with a Garmin Mk2 and then picked up a Perdix2 for a backup and added two AI units.. funny fact Garmin is a sync master to subsurface not so much with the shearwater perdix2 so I started down this path to hell Oct 24th 2023.
In my journey the following was discovered about the kludge implementaiton of BlueToothLE by sheawater and pairing issues if multiple bluetooth radios are present compounded by subchannels and inability to use paired keys properly
At first I thought it was OS based and the shearwater Applications were "required" ( they are workarounds for a horrible failure in firmware for bluetooth or a hardware issue ) this issue hits with peterel HS data path and Perdix line using the bluetoothLE implementaiton
due to the (slowness of shearwaters implementaiton) compunded by reques speeds of systems not writing through to the cloud... )

Thank you for this great analysis, that explains the issues we had all these years! Actually I've added the "Unpair and re-pair" option for Shearwaters in the end in my software and this finally fixed the problem on Windows.
it was not until tonight when I came across other issues on every platform all pointed to Either the firmware or hardware in the perdix line... short of it is ( bad design on the perdix ) all bluetooth connection for this computer need to be set to forget like the developer did when they implemented the worst build of bluetooth since 1999 in 2019 ... 20 year anniversary of a bad design.

Newer Shearwater models luckily do not have this issue anymore. So at least, they leared from the early mistakes.
the new watch does not have the issue? so everything after 2019 and earlier than this year is trash... is what I am hearing....

I don't have a Shearwater myself, but I do not get support requests from newer Shearwater models anymore.
interesting... I know the other computers are gaining functions which used to be only in shearwater... or they are doing a better job of making the device less dependent on their proprietary code.

I always download onto mobile, sync with cloud, then do any significant data entry on desktop.
While doing more work today I noticed a difference in some of the bluetooth traces... more to follow as I decode...

Back
Top Bottom