Aladin Air Z Nitrox Battery change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
mine is still at 80 % so enough for a while.
Just for fun I searched the internet and I found very different informations....

It can't be done at all...
It can be done but they send you a new one
It can't be done but they give you a good deal on a new product
It can be done in my backyard shop...just email me....
It can be done yourself...but no guide.

2-3 hours search, just out of interest but nothing beside rumors....

Someone know??

h90,

The operating manual says to take the computer to an authorized dealer, who will send it to the manufacturer for a battery change and function check. Seems pretty clear.

Battery life is estimated at 7 years for 50 dives/year and 5.5 years for 100 dives/year.

I have always found Scubapro/Uwatec very responsive to any quetions I've sent them. They have an extensive product support section on their website. The Air Z Nitrox operating manual is available for download from the website if you have misplaced yours.

Good diving, Craig

h90,

The operating manual says to take the computer to an authorized dealer, who will send it to the manufacturer for a battery change and function check. Seems pretty clear.

Battery life is estimated at 7 years for 50 dives/year and 5.5 years for 100 dives/year.

I have always found Scubapro/Uwatec very responsive to any quetions I've sent them. They have an extensive product support section on their website. The Air Z Nitrox operating manual is available for download from the website if you have misplaced yours.

Good diving, Craig

I read again and you are right, they tell they don't change battery on Aladin Air X anymore. But not Aladin Air Z....
So I simply didn't read carefully.......
Thanks

Can Be Done!

Click on the British flag to see web page in english. I changed my own Aladin Pro, not that hard if you have a bit of technical skill amd know how to solder.

DIY battery exchange - Aladin Pro Ultra

Great guide, do you plan to make the Aladin Air Z in english any time soon?
(in the worst case I have a friend who can understand czech language (it is czech, isn't it?)).
(if you ever need webspace for such a guide, let me know)

It's not my webpage, I just found it and used it to change my battery.

If you look at the Aladin Pro Ultra it's the same backside as the Air Z.

I understand there are some different opinions on this, but my story is that UWATEC WILL NOT replace the battery in my Air-X due to not being able to reseal the unit reliably. UWATEC did offer me an upgrade to a new computer for AUD$800.00.

While I had problems with my original computer which was replaced with a new unit, and then that failed too and it was replaced again with this unit (which was obviously a refurbished unit) & has lasted more than 9 years, but only two dives in the last 4 years. (I know, pathetic, but life sometimes gets you by the tail.)

Considering that as the transmitters are a "sealed unit & the battery cannot be changed in it" I had to purchase a NEW transmitter for $240.00 only 2 years ago and NO ONE MENTIONED ANYTHING about the main computer battery not being able to be changed, and the transmitter is INCOMPATIBLE with the new units! So now I have a 2 year old transmitter with only 1 dive on it that I can't use either.

Considering I thought I would have this computer for life, (Just like a Swiss watch, no?) I'm pretty pissed off. Yes, the $800.00 upgrade is a "good deal", but it's still a very expensive battery replacement.

So I have posted a PDF I made of an English translation of the Cz site listed above who explains how to replace the battery in an Air-X. I can't link to it as I don't have 5 posts up yet, but I will come back later and post it.

And yes, I understand UWATEC have a "Batteries for life" program on the new models, but considering UWATEC say 7 years is the "life" of a computer and my computer is "well past it", what good is a "Batteries for life" programme if they consider the life of the unit is only as long as the original battery lasts?? :confused: Even the local Government Fair Trading office advise that suppliers are NOT OBLIGED to offer any service or support for products older than 10 years of age. So UWATEC only have to provide batteries for 10 years to be compliant with my current local legislation.

So I'm going to change the battery in mine and then if it doesn't work, I guess I'll go the upgrade? :depressed:

Dunno why my last post got added twice.

But it gives me a chance to advise that the Cz web site incorrectly lists the replacement battery as a Tadiran SL-860/T but you actually want a Tadiran SL-860/P which has axial leads, not solder tabs, if you want the exact replacement battery.

I think the new part number might also be TL-4903?
It has exactly the same specifications anyway....same /P for axial leads...

I understand there are some different opinions on this, but my story is that UWATEC WILL NOT replace the battery in my Air-X due to not being able to reseal the unit reliably. UWATEC did offer me an upgrade to a new computer for AUD$800.00.

While I had problems with my original computer which was replaced with a new unit, and then that failed too and it was replaced again with this unit (which was obviously a refurbished unit) & has lasted more than 9 years, but only two dives in the last 4 years. (I know, pathetic, but life sometimes gets you by the tail.)

Considering that as the transmitters are a "sealed unit & the battery cannot be changed in it" I had to purchase a NEW transmitter for $240.00 only 2 years ago and NO ONE MENTIONED ANYTHING about the main computer battery not being able to be changed, and the transmitter is INCOMPATIBLE with the new units! So now I have a 2 year old transmitter with only 1 dive on it that I can't use either.

Considering I thought I would have this computer for life, (Just like a Swiss watch, no?) I'm pretty pissed off. Yes, the $800.00 upgrade is a "good deal", but it's still a very expensive battery replacement.

So I have posted a PDF I made of an English translation of the Cz site listed above who explains how to replace the battery in an Air-X. I can't link to it as I don't have 5 posts up yet, but I will come back later and post it.

And yes, I understand UWATEC have a "Batteries for life" program on the new models, but considering UWATEC say 7 years is the "life" of a computer and my computer is "well past it", what good is a "Batteries for life" programme if they consider the life of the unit is only as long as the original battery lasts?? :confused: Even the local Government Fair Trading office advise that suppliers are NOT OBLIGED to offer any service or support for products older than 10 years of age. So UWATEC only have to provide batteries for 10 years to be compliant with my current local legislation.

So I'm going to change the battery in mine and then if it doesn't work, I guess I'll go the upgrade? :depressed:

PM it to me and I post it.

Well after actually opening my computer (What a nightmare that was!) I have to eat my words and advise the battery in mine has solder tabs, not the axial leads I'm used to with previous Aladin computers. So my suggestion is....use either tabs or axial leaded version. You will probably find tab version easier to come by.

Web page and updated PDF document on the way.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom