Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi
Another trick with this model:
If you set it at 50%, it functions as a gauge but will beep during the whole dive :)
interesting. but set what to 50%?
I'm pretty sure that I used to use it as a gauge/timer while doing my tech and trimix training. I just ignored the deco indications. I don't recall specifics though...was it continually beeping at me? Did I mute it somehow? not sure

Getting the air out on re-assembly appears to be the hardest part of the battery swap. Lots of used units have air bubbles. Best to get enough extra oil to completely submerge the unit when replacing the membrane. It can get messy. Using a battery replacement service is a good idea.

Check the strap for signs of cracking. It is trivial to create a bungee cord strap replacement.

No reason not to renew the battery as this is a great computer for rec diving. Large screen, easy to read.

Otherwise consider asking for around $30 on eBay as is.

had youtube university existed back in the day I would have certainly done a DIY the last time I had the battery changed. According to one of the sites referenced above, the oil is just simple mineral oil so that's easy and cheap. Buy yeah, potentially messy for sure. The parts that give me the most pause in cracking the case open without breaking it, and lifting that internal elastomer diaphragm seal without breaking that.

I'd also feel a lot better about doing it if I could just replace the seal/diaphragm and any o-rings. Those things are pretty old!

Anyway, I think I'll give it a shot, and while I'm at it do the same with my Uwatec digital bottom timer too!

Anyway, I think I'll give it a shot, and while I'm at it do the same with my Uwatec digital bottom timer too!
If the battery is dead in that you are out of luck the bottom timer cannot be reawakened. If the battery is still going you will have to maintain voltage as the battery is being replaced. You are also going to have to saw the case open

If the battery is dead in that you are out of luck the bottom timer cannot be reawakened. If the battery is still going you will have to maintain voltage as the battery is being replaced. You are also going to have to saw the case open
well that's bad news! So just toss it then?

I'm reminded of one of my early computers...some cheap console mount thing. Pretty sure it had a user replaceable battery. Anyway it was not very old, don't believe the battery had ever been changed, but on a dive that thing flooded.
so I'm leary of user replaceable batteries....but I really don't like these disposable things or things that require such effort to service either!

well that's bad news! So just toss it then?
I am afraid so, somehow the memory is volatile so once the battery is dead there is nothing to do. Mind you the batteries in those things often went for more than 10 years.

well, I just picked myself off the floor..... Wow. I rummaged through my stuff and to my complete shock that bottom timer powered up! No indication of low battery or anything. My last logged dive was November 10, 2001 and I have no idea if I used that timer for that dive or not. It's been in storage a long time!

As I thought though my Aladin computer is dead as a door nail
as is a little Suunto Favor computer that I forgot I ever had

They don't have any battery indicator they just keep going until they die but they can reach a ripe old age. I remember seeing one report of changing the battery but it was a major hassle compared to the computer and not something I would bother to try.

I do not think the memory of Uwatec Aladin computer is volatile. The Uwatec bottom time is(from what I read). The person who wrote that article has the right tools but the process is not for most of us.

1. Uwatec dedicated bottom time does not has battery power indicator. I have few of them before and none of them last for more than 7yrs.
2. Uwatec dive computer has but not very accurate. I usually changed the battery when the computer shown less than 60%(4-5yrs). Depending on use.

I have changed the battery of my both Uwatec few times and yet to damage the casing and the diaphragm. One of them died few yrs ago when the LED screen has black patches all over it. PITY.

@bradlw
Give it a try.
Make sure you bought the correct battery with tag.
I use medicinal grade liquid paraffin from pharmacy.

had youtube university existed back in the day I would have certainly done a DIY the last time I had the battery changed. According to one of the sites referenced above, the oil is just simple mineral oil so that's easy and cheap. Buy yeah, potentially messy for sure. The parts that give me the most pause in cracking the case open without breaking it, and lifting that internal elastomer diaphragm seal without breaking that.

I'd also feel a lot better about doing it if I could just replace the seal/diaphragm and any o-rings. Those things are pretty old!

Cracking the case is simple with a box cutter knife. Pry gently to break the glue seal. Then pry some more to defeat the snap together design. I do not bother to reglue mine on re-assembly. The snap together is sufficient.

There are no orings to worry about.

The diaphragm is pretty sturdy and will outlive all of us. It is thick and sometimes hard to get seated in the groove again. When prying it out be careful not to damage the groove. The diaphragm does not see any light, has oil on one side and whatever you dive in on the other. So not likely to degrade anytime soon.

Once the battery indicator gets to 50% you can expect it to fail shortly after.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom